Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
veryman

Can Plants Help Your Skin Get More Oxygen?

I've heard that oxygen is what causes acne bacteria to die. If that's true, then is it possible to get more oxygen to your skin by sleeping in a room full of plants?

I dont think oxygen kills any kind of bacteria. But even if it did kill acne bacteria were surrounded by oxygen so wouldn't the acne bacteria on our faces get killed? But we still get acne. Besides bacteria is one of the many things that causes acne. So I dont think sleeping with plants will help all to much but you might be breathing cleaner air in so less impurities you breathe into your body.

Edited by Changed Name

You're referring to anaerobic bacteria, p.acnes, which will not thrive in an oxygenated environment. It's a good deduction that a room with more oxygen would kill the bacteria, but it isn't so simple. The only way to kill the bacteria with this method is benzoyl peroxide, or a topical with stabilized oxygen.

I think that you might be thinking of oxidation? When BP makes contact with the skin it tends to produce oxygen and benzoic acid. The different between the oxygen that a plant makes and the BP is that the BP makes contact with the skin and penetrates the pore to make the oxygen within, helping to cleanse. Having more plants in the room will make you feel better and in some way cleans the air you breath (barely). But sadly it will not clear up your acne. Hope this helps? Good Luck!

Okay, well I've also heard that getting more oxygen in through your lungs helps to reduce stress and people often say stress causes them to break out. Don't you think that sleeping in higher oxygen environment on a daily basis would help to reduce stress and possibly reduce acne?

Edited by veryman

veryman, that's speaking to stress. Not oxygen and bacteria. Theoretically, reduced stress can help breakouts. However, I think that you should look to other ways to reduce stress. Other methods will have a much, much bigger impact, like reducing caffeine consumption and normalizing sleep to regulate cortisol.

Well getting more oxygen in lungs and in your skin is completely different. I won't say anything that hasn't already been said I'm just backing it up. Just try benzoyl peroxide and that should help.