Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hotburrito

General Practical Advice?

Hi all,

I only recently developed acne and am thinking of modifying my diet some more in order to help things along. However, I'm running into some problems trying to decide what to and what not to include in said diet, so if any of you vets can help me, I'd be very grateful. Here are my points of consideration:

1. I developed moderate acne virtually overnight after living over two decades with near-flawless skin. As it stands, I'm pretty sure the source of my acne is really wonky hormones (both my doctor and derma have pretty much confirmed as much), but I'd still like to try the diet thing out given that it probably can't hurt, right?

2. I'm a decently healthy eater already. Ever since I started getting acne I cut dairy products and Starbucks/bubble tea style drinks out entirely, but other than that... I've always loved eating fruits and have no qualms with eating my veggies either. I don't drink sodas or eat junk food or anything like that except on very rare occasion (three to four times a year) and I almost never eat fast food/fried food/spicy food either (maybe a couple of fries once every few months). I was never a big alcohol person (it used to be a couple of drinks a month tops), I don't smoke (never have), don't take drugs, and don't drink coffee. I also don't like salty things so I rarely ever even cook with salt (and usually try pass off a particularly salty dish at a restaurant to somebody else who prefers salty stuff).

3. Having said that, I do like meat - I don't eat tons and tons of it or anything, but I don't stay away from it either - and I don't avoid gluten. I'm aware that I'll probably need to lower my meat intake (even though 90% of my "meat" intake is probably chicken/duck) and cut out some gluten, but I guess I just don't know what/by how much. With regards to gluten, I should probably mention that I don't eat many breads/pastas/whatever anyway - my family is Chinese so we tend to stick to rice. HOWEVER, I do really like Chinese wonton/dumplings, and would have a really hard time sacrificing soya sauce because it's just such a huge staple in my diet.

4. I also just simply like to eat. While I do watch what I eat, I've always been pretty wary of diets and their general unsustainability. I've also done enough nutrition research to know that yo-yo dieting is actually one of the biggest causes of poor health/obesity and I'd rather be, I don't know, slightly chubby over a lengthy period of time than thin one day and a blob the next. Thus, while I'd be perfectly happy cutting a few things out of my diet, I don't want to just eat rabbit food all the time and feel miserable about it either... live to eat not eat to live, you know?

5. Last but not least, I'd really appreciate some tips (if you guys have any) in dealing with what I'm beginning to think is an "emotional eating" reaction to acne-related depression. I never had problems with emotional eating before, but I think I'm starting to develop some bad habits now because I'm not only a) eating a lot more at meals (as well as wolfing down food much more quickly than I used to), but also b) looking waaay too forward to meal time. There's so little happiness in my life right now that I can't help but look at my meals as maybe this one thing I can enjoy, so suddenly I find myself attaching way too much importance to actually enjoying it.

Thanks for reading all of that. (I should probably add as a side note that while I would love to add more exercise to my regime, I'm a) pretty damn depressed these days and can barely even drag myself out of bed for work, and b) the accutane is making my joints kind of ache even when I'm not moving... so for the moment, it isn't an option.)

Of course, thanks in advance for any advice you guys might have for me as well!

dairy- lower it, but dont eliminate it. why? this willlikely reduce the severity of your acne. good source of natural calcium that supplements only try to emulate, the closest supplement is calcium tri-phosphate. Good source of tryptophan, perhaps the best, this is used to synthesize melatonin.

Sugar,- cut it all out. bad bacteria in your intestines love sugar.

fruit- lower it, but dont eliminate it only if you find it effects your acne negatively which it may or may not.

nuts- reduce , like peanut butter, its ok to eat some though, but get your fat requirements from olives or olive oil as they are high in antioxidants and not exposed to any heat and are easy to digest.

whole grains- get more of these for soluble and insolube fiber. avoid anything with added gluten, this includes probably all commercial breads. never eat white rice, it has been debranned and lost all its vitamins and antioxidants.

eat foods high in melatonin- montmorency cherries, brown rice, barley, corn, mustard, walnuts.

supplements- magnesium. and b12 in the forms methylcobalamin, hydroxycobalamin and dibencozide. do not exceed 1000% rda of methylcobalamin for extended periods, as i have had some weird side effects from that stuff, but i may be wrong about it still, just want to forewarn.

if you are white, stay away from vitamin d supplements unless you are in the middle of a long winter since our melanin content in our skin is low, we are very effecient in getting d from sun exposure, perhaps due to the colder climates we have evolved from. we also have higher rates of skin cancer because of this http://www.cdc.gov/c...istics/race.htm, and are more prone to high blood calcium leading to pineal and kidney calcifications, here is a study of pineal calcification rates among white and black people from the same geographical region http://www.ajronline.../3/503.full.pdf. which also puts us at a higher risk of Multiple sclerosis, which have a 100% rate of pineal calcification. http://informahealth...207459108986271 . here is a list of risk factors for MS, one of which, is just being white http://www.mayoclini...ON=risk-factors, but now you may know why and how from the info i have just provided.

low magnesium also contributes to calcification of organs, eating processed grains or white bread can make it very hard to get magnesium. whole grains have more magnesium.

iron from an animal source, like liver or clams.

stay away from omega 3 supplements, occasionally, eat a piece of fish, preferably a small fish like sardines as most larger fish are contaminated with mercury. stay away from all canned tuna products, they are too high in mercury http://onlinelibrary...002/etc.32/full . here are the guidlines for safely eating tuna http://www.nrdc.org/...ercury/tuna.asp, i can believe that it we even need these guidelines, its well known now these fish are contaminated, but now we see that its just getting worse from the burning of fossil fuels.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980