Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wag18

Pop Cysts Or Not?

When a cyst comes to a head do you pop it or not??

Ive found that if you leave them, they stick around for weeks, even months, but if you pop them you get a scab and a red mark for around a week, maybe a couple.

Ive also found, there where i get one big spot, i usually get another around the same area. e.g. i had an 'under the skin' spot on my head,the next morning i had another 2 within an inch of the original

If you pop a cyst your just spreading the bacteria into normal skin tissue. Don't do it. I did and it turned my cyst much bigger. Better to let it desolve on its own.

Nooooo! Eeek. I found that out the hard way. I popped one(tried) and got so much worse. Ended up leaving red mark and a scar I will probably have forever. It's not that unusual to get one in the same - even more so if you popped it. The bacteria can get pushed deeper into the pimple though you may have thought you popped and got rid of that demon beast. When actually it could of spread underneath the pore resulting in yet another.

I think it's a good idea about 10% of the time, but only if you are extremely gentle. But, considering 10% .vs. 90% - I just wouldn't do it. Most times you are just pushing deeper or laterally into the skin. Just treat it and try not to touch even though it's hard!

i hate to admit it but i can't stand seeing something white on my face so i pop my cysts, there's usually a hard sebum plug (or something similar) that has to come out and it won't completely go away until that's gone. my reasoning for popping my cysts if they come to a head is because if i don't do it the cyst will end up popping on it's own (at possibly an awkard moment). i know people say it's bad, it spreads bacteria and all that jazz but i'd rather risk it and have it heal faster. i think it's only really bad to do when it hasn't come to a head since you could be pushing that bad stuff down instead of out. i say do it! i use castor oil & warm washcloths on my cysts, just started it about a month ago and my skin hasn't looked this good since the beginning of this year.

No No, never pop them. Ever. It only makes it worse. I have a cyst on my face at the moment right next to my nose so it's really prominent and has just got a head on it. Man I want to get rid of it so bad... but I am so sick of having acne that any chance of pushing more bacteria under my skin for it to flare up later is a big no no. I once experimented with my skin by popping a cyst on one side of my face and leaving the other side. In a few months the side with the popped one had much worse acne then the side which didn't. The other side only had a few in a small little line, the other side was everywhere...

So in short... No! Don't do it..

i agree dont do it. i popped a cyst a few weeks ago because i was going to a wedding and wanted it gone. well that was the worst idea EVER!! i got this huge scab and had to go to the wedding like that when really it would have looked better if i just had left it alone. now i got this nasty red scar and am going to get ipl done on it today to try and make it look better. so save yourself the aggravation by just leaving it alone. if you are really desperate to have it gone call a derm and get it injected.

Edited by Karen Howz