Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rise_Above

My Roaccutane Journey! Month 1 Done!

So, today is the day when I start my course of Roaccutane! smile.png I went to the dermatologist today and picked up my first prescription, i'm using the actual brand name Roaccutane, not a generic brand which I feel much better about. I'm on 30mg a day for the first two months, then getting my dosage ramped up; I weigh around 8 and a half stone which equals just over 50kgs, so I guess my final dosage will be 50 or 60 mg a day towards the end, and i've been told my course will last a minimum of 4 months. I'm to take one 10mg and one 20mg tablet during the biggest meal of the day, which I am about to take!

I'm really looking forward to starting my course, and to attain clear skin, hopefully by summer when my marks fade. Got all the products I need ready for my side effects and washing; Cetaphil Cleanser & Moisturiser, Carmex and Vaseline for my lips/nose. I should be putting some pictures up soon, hopefully i'll update this blog with my progress every couple of weeks, maybe monthly, i'm yet to decide smile.png

Edited by Rise_Above

Hi,

I just started yesterday and I am so excited! I weigh about the same as you--125lbs which is about 55 kgs. I am starting on 30mg/day. This is my second time on Accutane. I was on it about 10 years ago, and although it didn't totally clear my skin, I did experience about a 65% improvement. My last course was 80mg a day straight through, and I didn't have any side effects other than dry lips and dry inside of nose. I'm wondering if I'm even going to have any side effects at all when I am on less than half the dose as before. So far, I don't have any side effects, but I figure if I'm going to have any, I'll probably see them by the end of the week. I can't wait to find out!

Heey! I also got my first pills today, it's also actual brand name Roaccutane and my derm also told me, that course is going to last 4 months and by that time skin should be clean as a....perfect skin! :) DId u already popped a pills today or do u start tomorrow? But I hope u'll choose the option to update your blog at least every couple of weeks cause i'd love to follow it.

Good luck!!

Hey guys, cool to see people checking out my blog already! smile.png I've also read quite a few of your posts Paul; I hope you've been having success recently with your physical and mental struggles with acne.

Day 1/2

Well, today is day 2, September 28th! I popped my first pills yesterday and took them with a glass of water alongside a good meal. Of course, i've not noticed any side effects as of yet though, so i'm gearing myself up for them. I'm going to be starting the gym on Friday, so hopefully I won't get any noticeable joint pains! I'll be taking some photos in a couple of weeks; ideally i'd have liked to have started my blog with a before picture but I figured my skin's probably only going to get worse in the space of 2 weeks with my initial breakout, so that's as good a starting point as any smile.png And I also don't have access to a decent camera at Uni, until I visit home in 2 weeks!

Edited by Rise_Above

Sorry for the double post, but I thought it'd be best to post my images in a new post. Decided to use my phone to take pictures, as it's good enough! As you can see, my skin is olive (my genetics) and pretty oily, although I haven't showered yet today. So I guess these are my starting pictures, i'll update again 2 weeks today, on Wednesday the 12th October. I'll be updating every 2 weeks on a Wednesday, as it's a day off Uni. smile.png Enjoy! (If that's possible):

Edited by Rise_Above

I'm looking forward to following along. Your forehead seems like it is mostly clogged pores and redness. I have a similar thing going on. I wonder how that particular area will respond to being on accutane. All the best!

I'm looking forward to following along. Your forehead seems like it is mostly clogged pores and redness. I have a similar thing going on. I wonder how that particular area will respond to being on accutane. All the best!

Yeahhh, i'd agree with you there, that's what it feels like, I get the odd spot here and there but it's mostly clogged pores. Hopefully my forehead won't break out like crazy throughout my course haha! Thanks :)!

Hey, just wanted to post a mini update. My lips are slightly dry, although not much. Last night I had a nosebleed, which was quite heavy I'd say. It started when I went to bed, then came back at 6. Looks like I'm gonna be a bleeder! :P

Looks like I'm gonna be a bleeder! tongue.png

"It's only a flesh wound!"

:lol: Good luck on your 'Tane journey! I hope I don't get nosebleeds, man, I cannot afford to buy new pillowcases every week... :P

Haha yes, that is a good way of looking at it :P Thanks very much, you too :) I started the gym today (weight lifting), no noticeable effect on my joints as of yet; we'll see as time goes on!

Cool to see plenty of new members rockin' the 'tane! Best of luck! smile.png

A lot of them seem to be popping up lately, haha. Best of luck guy! Let me know if you have any questions!

Right, here's my next update. So far on my Roaccutane journey, i've experienced the following:

• Nosebleed (only one though, within less than a week of starting.)
  • Dry lips (nothing that application of Vaseline at night and Carmex throughout the day can't handle though!)
  • A reduction of breakouts
  • A reduction in oil production (although, there's still a bit there, so I assume it'll reduce even further)
  • A slight increase in pore size

As you can see in the following pictures compared to my previous, I have hardly any active acne on my face at the moment. When I do get the odd spot, it seems to clear up pretty quickly. So far they've also been pretty small in size smile.png I've just reached the 2 week mark, so i'm expecting my IB sometime soon, although like most I hope I can avoid one altogether! tongue.png Also, the majority of the redness you see on my face is PIS, and the shininess is because of my moisturiser. Do any of you recommend possibly mixing emu oil or anything within my Cetaphil Moisturising Lotion, or shall I wait to do that after my course is over? Thanks!

Edited by Rise_Above

FIRST MONTH IS DONE! rolleyes.gif

So, my first month on 30mg/day of Roaccutane is completed! I have to say, the side effects haven't been as harsh as I thought they'd be, there do seem to be a lot of horror stories that you read online describing excessive joint pain and the like. But, so far I've had no such trouble :) I've noticed that I have had some kind of IB, although not too severe (yet). I've noticed that the kind of spots I've been getting don't tend to come to a head, and I've had a couple of the under skin ones as well which I'm not used to. The blackheads on my nose have been clearing out as well, in fact they're almost all gone! I picked up my prescription for my second month today, which is a continuation of 30mg/day. Pictures are below: