Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
amy91

What Is Adult Acne?

Okay, it's kinda dumb question, but I am really curious about this. When we can say that we have ADULT acne, since what age?

I am 20 years old female.

Usually 25 and over.

I'm 20 as well, and it's still considered adolescent acne at this age.

Usually 25 and over.

I'm 20 as well, and it's still considered adolescent acne at this age.

Really? My derm said that it's adult acne, but I read different things on Internet. I guess I agree with 25 and over. So it means we will have acne untill 25 then if we still get breakouts it will be considered as an adult acne? WTF?crazy.gif

Edited by amy91

Acne.org considers that adult acne is defined as 25 or over, as the adult section says "Discuss issues related to adult acne--for people age 25 and over"

this depends person to person and skin type to skin type. females mature faster than men and you could probably say for a female that adult acne starts at 18. For a male however it is much later, as they do not stop growing until around 25. BUT that is only for AVERAGE people, this could be sooner or much much later on in life, as some peoples skin mature at a later stage in life, hence people joining the forum saying they never had a pimple until they were like 23 or even older.

Adult acne started for me at or around 25-27? I had never had acne to this degree. I would get the occasional pimple and then it would heal or be gone in a day or two. From my understanding listening to countless Derms tell me what adult acne is -it is "hormonal". Though, for some it very well could be-but isn't all acne hormonal? I've been tested and re-tested. It is not for me hormonal. I'm sensitive more so now to anything and everything. I'm also more sensitive to my shifting hormones prior to my period. So, to an extent yes it very well be hormonal-but they (Dr.s) determined it was not. My skin responds and presents acne in a different way than it did when it was younger. The pimples are different and heal differently because my skin is older. Why now? Who knows? Neither one of my parents had acne-but all three of my siblings including my brother are just now experiencing acne. Nothing to the degree of some acne but more so the painful pimples that leave scars. Go figure. Acne is a riddle. I do realize I am in the wrong profession. I should of been a Derm. They always have patients and more patients to see. It's like they know a secret and just keep you coming back for more. I'm a little bitter. Haha-Life goes on.