Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blue giraffe

Body Acne Is Folliculitis Not Acne?

I know there is a pinned thread about this, but I thought I'd make another so more people would be aware. I read a little about folliculitis and I realized that my "body acne" is actually folliculitis and not acne. They look similar so it can be hard to tell. I'd recommend all of you to read about it because you may have it. If you read about the symptoms, you should be able to distinguish if you have acne or folliculitis. We can use this thread to share some treatments.

Something interesting I read was that acne medications can actually make folliculitis worse.

Interesting, I'll check out what folliculitis is. I have mild bacne and it hasn't bothered me much, but it would be great to know if there's a way I can cure it. I don't know if I have folliculitis or bacne, but I'lll read the symptoms of each one and see which one I relate to more.

EDIT: I've been back after reading the symptoms for both, and I'm confused over which type of disorder I have. Folliculitis and Acne seem to look quite alike, and some of the causes for it are much the same as well. Can you explain to me the differences between the two?

Edited by DesireClearSkin

Interesting, I'll check out what folliculitis is. I have mild bacne and it hasn't bothered me much, but it would be great to know if there's a way I can cure it. I don't know if I have folliculitis or bacne, but I'lll read the symptoms of each one and see which one I relate to more.

EDIT: I've been back after reading the symptoms for both, and I'm confused over which type of disorder I have. Folliculitis and Acne seem to look quite alike, and some of the causes for it are much the same as well. Can you explain to me the differences between the two?

They are really hard to tell, I agree. I'm really not 100% sure I have folliculitis.

One of the reasons I think I have it is because when I started taking minocycline or doxycycline, (can't remember which one I'm taking), my face acne dramatically decreased but my body acne didn't change. If anything it got worse.

Another reason is that the the cause of my body acne (cysts, nodules) is primarily irritation. They are all just about inflamed. When I did grappling mma and school wrestling last year, it became severe and has left me with marks all over my back and chest. I don't do those anymore, but I still get it. It's usually on my shoulders because of my book bag, my collar bone because of my seat belt, and my spine (middle back) when I still back in my chair and it touches the top of the chair.

When I get active and sweat and don't shower right away, I get a few harmless whiteheads that go away quick. I think that is the acne. And then if I do something like bench press (irritates my shoulder blades), I get the big cyst. I think that is the folliculitis.

Many of the acne cleansers I've used helped my face acne, but it wouldn't prevent my body acne. I think those cleansers actually gave me a lot of cysts because they irritated my skin.

90% of my body acne is very red and inflamed. I'm thinking that is folliculitis. And I'm thinking that the non-inflamed pimples (such as the whiteheads I get when I don't shower after exercising) is acne and is much easier to control.

I have had this complaint for sometime now.

From my own research, this complaint of Folliculitis is an autoimmune system disorder.

It is a very complex complaint to analyse however, from my own experience, you will do well to avoid too much refined sugar and fat as this agitates the condition and makes it a lot worse!

It would appear that this condition is more confined to people in their early fifties and is more visible around the shoulders and thighs.

I believe that the autoimmune system disorder is activated by a traumatic experience, this then makes the autoimmune system hyperactive and sensitive in its form to sweat, and sugars and targets this as a flue like imposter, your white blood cells rush to the skins surface to eliminate this causing the furuncle or carbuncles.

To counteract this, take 1 antihistamine tablet per day and the complaint will subside a lot also, DO NOT wear tight nylon/polyester type clothing, always wear cotton material and this will also eliminate any further attacks of the condition.

I might also emphasise that drinking plenty of water, up to 2litres per day will clear up the condition and flush out all the toxins your body has built up over time.

If you do any sporting activity, wash immediately after using shower gels, DO NOT use soaps as this will clog the pores of your skin.

Also change your food diet from fatty foods to the non fatty variety.

This is not a cure for the complaint as their is no cure currently, you live with it by controlling it.

Edited by TuscanDriver