Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ballsoftitanium

Do You Plan To Avoid Certain Foods For The Rest Of Your Life?

I have tried eating a strict no dairy/no wheat/no sugar etc diet but i am unable to maintain the diet for more than a few weeks. Maybe i am not as strong as the rest of you but i can't see myself not ever eating those foods again, even if there are other good reasons to avoid them. Its bad that acne has taken away so many things from my life but now i'm expected to let it take away the foods i love too?

I'm 27 and i think its about time i stopped letting acne control my life.

the only reason you should stop or take out certain foods from your diet is if you are allergic to it or if it causes harm to your organs or personal health. you can eat healthy and eat all of those things, as long as they aren't causing you acne. Food has never been bad to me personally as far as acne goes, i cured my acne while eating the worst that i ever had in my whole life. recently though i found out that i am allergic to gluten, it causes me to have blocked up sinuses and swollen glands, so i cant have wheat or other things. sugar is a must, dairy is also a must UNLESS you get your calcium by other means (like people in southeast asia do, they eat the bones). you need to maintain a certain blood sugar level, if to low you could experience bad things like fatigue and sickness. people on here bash dairy as a cause of their acne, and it might be true. but not everyone has that problem, me being an example. you can eat and be healthy if you have sugar and dairy in your diet.

heres another kicker, something people that diet dont think about either. they base everything on a 2000 calorie diet, it is flat out idiotic to do this. i personally work outside for long periods of time all day and sweat like a mad man. i burn a lot of calories a day, not exactly sure how many. for instance michael phelps (Olympic swimming champ) eats a 10000 calorie diet a day because he swims it off. i know i dont work that hard but i work hard enough to eat somewhere near a 4000 or 5000 calorie diet a day. it just depends on what you do.

I plan to avoid anything to which I have an intolerance for (that can't be improved) for the rest of my life. And also I plan to limit dairy, gluten and sugar consumption, as all human beings should, for the rest of my life. I've done so for about 5 years now.

Why don't you try maintaining a less strict diet instead? Keep all meals low to moderate glycemic load. Eat mostly real, whole nutrient dense foods. And limit sugar, wheat/gluten and dairy. Provided you have determined that you do not have an intolerance to them.

Edited by alternativista

If you're having trouble avoiding the horrible stuff, it means you're not shopping for groceries correctly.

Expand your horizons. Buy an endive. Buy veggies and cuts of meat you never tasted before. Buy a multitude of seafood.

I agree that you shouldn't let acne control your life. What you really need to figure out is if the benefits outweigh the costs. When you're sticking with the diet, does your skin improve significantly enough for you to want to keep going? Or does the frustration of not being able to eat the foods you love outweigh that? I don't think that anyone should say, 'I'm going to avoid this food for the rest of my life' unless they have a diagnosed allergy or intolerance to it. If you find it makes your skin worse, just limit your consumption. You say that you have trouble going more than a few weeks - so don't. Go a few weeks without it, then have it one day, then go a few weeks after that. Everything in moderation is perfectly okay unless you have an underlying illness or allergies, or if you know with 100% certainty that every time you eat that food you break out.

I agree that you shouldn't let acne control your life. What you really need to figure out is if the benefits outweigh the costs. When you're sticking with the diet, does your skin improve significantly enough for you to want to keep going? Or does the frustration of not being able to eat the foods you love outweigh that? I don't think that anyone should say, 'I'm going to avoid this food for the rest of my life' unless they have a diagnosed allergy or intolerance to it. If you find it makes your skin worse, just limit your consumption. You say that you have trouble going more than a few weeks - so don't. Go a few weeks without it, then have it one day, then go a few weeks after that. Everything in moderation is perfectly okay unless you have an underlying illness or allergies, or if you know with 100% certainty that every time you eat that food you break out.

That's really horrible logic.

Why don't you eat plenty of trans fats (the worst type of fat, bar none?) Why not include them in YOUR personal diet everyday? Have you been diagnosed with an intolerance for trans fats? Why don't you drink battery acid? I doubt you're allergic to it.

There's things on this planet that are bad for EVERYONE, because we evolved as a species, not as an individual. You're assuming that being intolerant to something is different from something being unhealthy, and in many cases it's not. Gluten doesn't work with my body. I don't need to go to a doctor to hear that "no, you're not celiac," because I know that gluten is not good for ANYONE on this planet but some can tolerate it. Then again, some can also tolerate extremely high doses of drugs without dying. It's still not beneficial.

Why don't you eat plenty of trans fats (the worst type of fat, bar none?) Why not include them in YOUR personal diet everyday? Have you been diagnosed with an intolerance for trans fats? Why don't you drink battery acid? I doubt you're allergic to it.

There's things on this planet that are bad for EVERYONE, because we evolved as a species, not as an individual. You're assuming that being intolerant to something is different from something being unhealthy, and in many cases it's not. Gluten doesn't work with my body. I don't need to go to a doctor to hear that "no, you're not celiac," because I know that gluten is not good for ANYONE on this planet but some can tolerate it. Then again, some can also tolerate extremely high doses of drugs without dying. It's still not beneficial.

i think it's pretty obvious he meant that having a bad meal on occasion as part of an overall good diet will not significantly alter your health; and i agree.

and as for your comparison of gluten with drugs...laughable.

I plan on avoiding gluten and coffee for the rest of my life, primarily for acne reasons.

They both break me out badly. I just experimented with coffee again, after having to now wake up at 3AM for work, and broke out badly from its reintroduction after I was clear for quite some time. If these are the visible affects that these items are doing to me, I can only imagine the horrible things it's doing on the inside. I also avoid dairy and eggs because they both cause me stomach upset, so obviously those are doing my body damage as well. I also don't eat meat! While my diet may SEEM really limited, it's actually great! I discovered so many amazing foods that I never knew of before, and feel wonderful and alive. I've cured my daily migraine headaches with this diet, and the head fogginess that used to ruin my life. Changing your diet for your health doesn't have to be a curse or negative in any way. With some creativity and motivation, it can be such a positive experience.

i think it's pretty obvious he meant that having a bad meal on occasion as part of an overall good diet will not significantly alter your health; and i agree.

and as for your comparison of gluten with drugs...laughable.

^^^ agree

It should also be noted that you don't have to eat healthy. Ever. You can take Tane and unnecessary antibiotics until your derm pulls you off it, if you really want.

Obviously that's not good, but nobody can force you to be healthy.

Also, just because something breaks you out, doesn't mean you can't EVER have it again. I eat cake. Not very often and when I do, I'm able to control myself but I do eat it. Will it break me out? Usually it doesn't, unless I pig out. It's about restoring your body and achieving homeostasis. Once you heal your body, THEN you can incorporate those evil foods into your diet every once in a while. Not everyday, because that's how most people ended up on this board.

Edited by chunkylard

It's like healing a broken leg, you can't walk on it while its healing, but one day you will. That doesn't mean you should jump off cliffs again though.

It should also be noted that you don't have to eat healthy. Ever. You can take Tane and unnecessary antibiotics until your derm pulls you off it, if you really want.

Also, just because something breaks you out, doesn't mean you can't EVER have it again. I eat cake. Not very often and when I do, I'm able to control myself but I do eat it. Will it break me out? Usually it doesn't, unless I pig out. It's about restoring your body and achieving homeostasis. Once you heal your body, THEN you can incorporate those evil foods into your diet every once in a while. Not everyday, because that's how most people ended up on this board.

the main problem i have with everything you say is you think it incorporates everyone, you sir are wrong. not everyone is just like you, diet does not fix acne for everyone. your definition of "healthy" is completely different than everyone else because everyone else has totally different life styles and BODY.

Edited by freeliving

the main problem i have with everything you say is you think it incorporates everyone, you sir are wrong. not everyone is just like you, diet does not fix acne for everyone. your definition of "healthy" is completely different than everyone else because everyone else has totally different life styles and BODY.

Diet affects everyone's acne. And everything Chunkylard has said here is correct. Yes, everyone is different, but it's only a matter of degrees. Gluten isn't good for anyone. But it's worse for some than others. Some people are more prone to insulin resistance than others. It's just like some people are more likely to gain weight than others, but consuming more calories than you burn makes everyone gain weight.

And obviously everyone has different lifestyles. I don't get your point. However, lifestyle will affect how your diet affects you.

Disagree all you want, but you're wrong unfortunately. And Inever said diet alone will fix anyone's acne. You're also forgetting the other important components: exercise (which regulates countless hormones and neurotransmitters in your body,) getting adequate sunshine (does many things besides just vitamin D synthesis in our bodies,) avoiding stressful situations, breathing clean air, etc.

I know everyone is not like me. I have a bit more self-control than most people but I guess that comes with age. But that doesn't mean anybody else willing to put in effort will not get the same results as I did from exercising regularly, eating healthy and living healthy. It's your kind of toxic thinking that makes people visit the Accutane board over this board. It's your kind of toxic thinking that made me think the answer to my problem skin lied in cleansers and Accutane rather than fixing up the crap I was eating (and if I could find crap in my pre-getting-rid-of-acne-diet which was already healthier than most people's diet, so can others still suffering from acne.) It amazed me how quickly my acne went away and stayed away once I took control of my health. You're part of the problem right now just as much as those peddling Proactiv in mall kiosks and on TV.

What I post DOES incorporate everyone because EVERYONE is capable of eating healthy. The only optional factors are whether you want to drink a green smoothie or a completely organic green smoothie. I choose the latter because I have the money to do so, but if someone chooses the non-organic version of vegetables for their green smoothie, does that mean they won't be healthy? Not at all, there's more good to the non-organic veggies than there is bad. As I said before, you can still eat cake and bread and sugary shit that's horrible for you once in a while to remain sane and to not cripple your social life as much but if you're not willing to LIMIT that to something sporadic rather than something regular - well then, you really don't want to clear your acne and you're much happier living with acne than you think.

My definition of healthy is what dear Charles Darwin dictates. That wacky "Evolution" thing that we learned about in elementary school. You're wrongly assuming that there are such drastic variables in the human body that someone will actually benefit from eating gluten. Not so. NOBODY on this planet benefits from eating gluten or excessive amounts of sugar. Not you, not I, and not our great-grandkids.

There are personal intolerances that people should be wary of. Artichokes make my throat swell shut. Does that mean it's an unhealthy food? No but it is for me.

Edited by chunkylard

Apparently its not the case for me. If I eat nuts of any kind or ham or sausage I break out on my neck to the point that I look like I have chickenpox! I have tried this again and again and it never fails. So, for me I will avoid it probably forever. Elf

Disagree all you want, but you're wrong unfortunately. And Inever said diet alone will fix anyone's acne. You're also forgetting the other important components: exercise (which regulates countless hormones and neurotransmitters in your body,) getting adequate sunshine (does many things besides just vitamin D synthesis in our bodies,) avoiding stressful situations, breathing clean air, etc.

I know everyone is not like me. I have a bit more self-control than most people but I guess that comes with age. But that doesn't mean anybody else willing to put in effort will not get the same results as I did from exercising regularly, eating healthy and living healthy. It's your kind of toxic thinking that makes people visit the Accutane board over this board. It's your kind of toxic thinking that made me think the answer to my problem skin lied in cleansers and Accutane rather than fixing up the crap I was eating (and if I could find crap in my pre-getting-rid-of-acne-diet which was already healthier than most people's diet, so can others still suffering from acne.) It amazed me how quickly my acne went away and stayed away once I took control of my health. You're part of the problem right now just as much as those peddling Proactiv in mall kiosks and on TV.

What I post DOES incorporate everyone because EVERYONE is capable of eating healthy. The only optional factors are whether you want to drink a green smoothie or a completely organic green smoothie. I choose the latter because I have the money to do so, but if someone chooses the non-organic version of vegetables for their green smoothie, does that mean they won't be healthy? Not at all, there's more good to the non-organic veggies than there is bad. As I said before, you can still eat cake and bread and sugary shit that's horrible for you once in a while to remain sane and to not cripple your social life as much but if you're not willing to LIMIT that to something sporadic rather than something regular - well then, you really don't want to clear your acne and you're much happier living with acne than you think.

My definition of healthy is what dear Charles Darwin dictates. That wacky "Evolution" thing that we learned about in elementary school. You're wrongly assuming that there are such drastic variables in the human body that someone will actually benefit from eating gluten. Not so. NOBODY on this planet benefits from eating gluten or excessive amounts of sugar. Not you, not I, and not our great-grandkids.

There are personal intolerances that people should be wary of. Artichokes make my throat swell shut. Does that mean it's an unhealthy food? No but it is for me.

What bothers me about this isn't that I don't think there is a link between food and acne. I don't even really mind that you think the same is true for everyone, although I do disagree. What I'm seriously bothered by is your sanctimonious and self-righteous attitude and the fact that your posts don't illustrate that what you want is to help others - they illustrate that what you want is to say that you are right and no one knows as much as you and no one's even allowed to disagree with you. Do you have a PhD? No. Therefore everything you're posting about is simply your opinion and anyone on this board is free to disagree with you, because that is what happens with opinions. Telling people that they're wrong because they disagree with your opinion says more about your own intelligence and maturity level than anyone else's.

I'm also not sure why you chose to mention Darwin, since a large part of his theory is that the genetic makeup of every species is able to adapt and change over time based on the environment they find themselves in, which goes against your theory that all humans always have and always will have identical digestive systems rather than supporting it. He also argues that there can be drastic variations within a species. Unless the only knowledge you have of Darwin is from elementary school, I'm not sure why you would have brought it up.

Edited by mm97

I plan on AVOIDING gluten and sugar, as well as most dairy (cheese, milk).. if not for my acne, then for my health's sake. True, I haven't totally cleared my acne with diet, but that's cuz my body has been so out of whack for different reasons, that it'll take time for it to heal. Still, 75% improvement with diet changes is better than no improvement with using harsh chemicals on my face every day.

I've been paleo/low GI dieting for about 6 months now, and I'm really used to it. I'm especially used to avoiding gluten. Sometimes I crave chocolate, but it doesn't happen too often. The only tricky part is going to birthday parties / banquets and travelling, where you don't have full control over what you eat, but even then, I go for the 'safer' choices (basically, opt for the lesser of two evils between foods).

mm87:

What bothers me about this isn't that I don't think there is a link between food and acne. I don't even really mind that you think the same is true for everyone, although I do disagree. What I'm seriously bothered by is your sanctimonious and self-righteous attitude and the fact that your posts don't illustrate that what you want is to help others - they illustrate that what you want is to say that you are right and no one knows as much as you and no one's even allowed to disagree with you.

Yes, because I don't want acne anymore. Once it's gone, you feel relaxed and confident and feel like "this tofu soup at this restraunt isn't going to hurt me." Then, a few days later you start breaking out again and the cycle continues. I'd rather eat healthy for the rest of my life then deal with acne.

What bothers me about this isn't that I don't think there is a link between food and acne. I don't even really mind that you think the same is true for everyone, although I do disagree. What I'm seriously bothered by is your sanctimonious and self-righteous attitude and the fact that your posts don't illustrate that what you want is to help others - they illustrate that what you want is to say that you are right and no one knows as much as you and no one's even allowed to disagree with you. Do you have a PhD? No. Therefore everything you're posting about is simply your opinion and anyone on this board is free to disagree with you, because that is what happens with opinions. Telling people that they're wrong because they disagree with your opinion says more about your own intelligence and maturity level than anyone else's.

I'm also not sure why you chose to mention Darwin, since a large part of his theory is that the genetic makeup of every species is able to adapt and change over time based on the environment they find themselves in, which goes against your theory that all humans always have and always will have identical digestive systems rather than supporting it. He also argues that there can be drastic variations within a species. Unless the only knowledge you have of Darwin is from elementary school, I'm not sure why you would have brought it up.

chunky is right, and the so called tone of his posts you have a problem with (i didn't get that) is definitely called for when talking to freeliving. freeliving has posted in quite a few threads with this same type of toxic thinking (stealing that from you chunky, i like it). diet is the underlying cause of everyone's acne, and it isn't debatable.

it is not his opinion it, it is based on research and empirical evidence. before you start calling someone's post opinion based - why don't you do some research?

who cares if he has a PhD or not? i've had dermatologists with PhDs tell me my acne had nothing to do with what i ate and they were happy to prescribe me poison. the poison i was prescribed did not solve my problems, but hey the dermatologist has a PhD, so i should listen to him right?

What Darwin argues is theoretically possible seems irrelevant when talking about homosapiens..

as far as foods i'll avoid for life, most types of grains and conventional raised meats.

chunky is right, and the so called tone of his posts you have a problem with (i didn't get that) is definitely called for when talking to freeliving. freeliving has posted in quite a few threads with this same type of toxic thinking (stealing that from you chunky, i like it). diet is the underlying cause of everyone's acne, and it isn't debatable.

it is not his opinion it, it is based on research and empirical evidence. before you start calling someone's post opinion based - why don't you do some research?

who cares if he has a PhD or not? i've had dermatologists with PhDs tell me my acne had nothing to do with what i ate and they were happy to prescribe me poison. the poison i was prescribed did not solve my problems, but hey the dermatologist has a PhD, so i should listen to him right?

What Darwin argues is theoretically possible seems irrelevant when talking about homosapiens..

as far as foods i'll avoid for life, most types of grains and conventional raised meats.

If citing research and empirical evidence to argue your version of a point made it indisputable fact, every university professor who's ever graded an essay would be suffering from severe cognitive dissonance right now. It's an opinion, therefore it is debatable.

Edited by mm97