Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HiImMatt

What has acne caused you physically and mentally?

Bad things it has caused, Panicing around people, hands shaking, not wanting to look people in the face, VERY low self esteem, the list goes on (Still doenst stop me from living life though). Good things it has caused, made me a better person, braver, stronger.

What has acne caused you physically and mentally?

Bad and good things.

Edited by HiImMatt

Physically, it ruined my face. Duh? But yeah, I had great skin before I got acne. My face is pretty much clear now but I still have scars and I think it's going to take a long time for them to go away. Mentally, it knocked my self-confidence. I've always been pretty shy but acne just made that worse. I could barely look people in the eyes when it was bad because I was afraid they were judging me. BUT... I'm probably one of the few people who are thankful for getting acne. It made me re-evaluate my life. When I first got acne I would hate myself and think that life was so unfair. That was until my best friend was diagnosed with cancer when he was 14. He died at 16. After that I was like "What gives me the right to complain about something as stupid as some pimples? My life is fucking fantastic. I'm alive and healthy, aren't I?!" Every time I get depressed about my skin I stop and think of him and how he was able to keep smiling until the end, despite everything. Yeah, it's hard having acne, but the reality is that some people are going through worse. I don't know about you, but I would much rather have a few pimples on my face than be sitting in hospital knowing I probably won't see my next birthday. Mentally, acne gave me a slap across the face.

It has made me stronger has a person.

The affects of acne can be bad but it's down to the individual how use that. You can either let it make you are break you. I won't allow it to break me.

Physically, it ruined my face. Duh? But yeah, I had great skin before I got acne. My face is pretty much clear now but I still have scars and I think it's going to take a long time for them to go away. Mentally, it knocked my self-confidence. I've always been pretty shy but acne just made that worse. I could barely look people in the eyes when it was bad because I was afraid they were judging me. BUT... I'm probably one of the few people who are thankful for getting acne. It made me re-evaluate my life. When I first got acne I would hate myself and think that life was so unfair. That was until my best friend was diagnosed with cancer when he was 14. He died at 16. After that I was like "What gives me the right to complain about something as stupid as some pimples? My life is fucking fantastic. I'm alive and healthy, aren't I?!" Every time I get depressed about my skin I stop and think of him and how he was able to keep smiling until the end, despite everything. Yeah, it's hard having acne, but the reality is that some people are going through worse. I don't know about you, but I would much rather have a few pimples on my face than be sitting in hospital knowing I probably won't see my next birthday. Mentally, acne gave me a slap across the face.

Hey, magdish

Your are very right with every word you said. Im truly sorry your best passed away, may he rest in piece.

I know i would take acne ANYDAY than cancer or some other major disease. So yeah, your right that we should'nt complain about acne when people out there are suffering and dieing because of cancer and other serious diseases. Acne is nothing, just some skin problem. I guess i have to thank acne as well, i never thought about it but acne has made me a much better person in many ways.

Anyway, thanks for your comment, it has inspired me a lot.

And once again im very sorry for the loss of your best friend, R.I.P.

It has made me stronger has a person.

The affects of acne can be bad but it's down to the individual how use that. You can either let it make you are break you. I won't allow it to break me.

Same here, i won't let acne break me either :)

Thanks for commenting.

Edited by HiImMatt

Acne has made me anxious and insecure. Those anxieties and insecurities, and how I chose to respond to them, cost me my job.

I was bullied through school because of my acne. I responded to that by pretty much hiding away for about three years. That put me out of touch and cost me my friendships.

The key thing is to remember that none of this was caused directly by my acne. It's all a result of how I withdrew from things, put myself down, freaked out and hid away. Personally, it's been one of those situations where I've had to almost hit rock bottom before I realised how bad it was, but at least from here the only way is up. Now I just need to find the strength to start turning everything around.

Edited by PaulH85

"it's been one of those situations where I've had to almost hit rock bottom before I realised how bad it was, but at least from here the only way is up"

EXACTLY. This has to be done. You do have to hit rock bottom before you can come back up. The trick is to never go back there.

One thing that helped me. The gym and working out.

Not only do you look good its great for getting on top of depression. Exercise releases a lot of feel good chemicals into your blood. You also gain confidence from looking good and you stop caring about acne.

Confidence comes from within, not from what is on your face.

Not only do you look good its great for getting on top of depression. Exercise releases a lot of feel good chemicals into your blood. You also gain confidence from looking good and you stop caring about acne.

Good call. I've read that a lot. I haven't really done any exercise of any kind for years. I I could certainly do with being fitter. My initial concern when I started thinking about exercising was that I'd just end up losing weight and that cannot happen because I'm already ridiculously skinny. But then I figured that if I started using more energy, I'd want to eat more so things would balance out. I'd end up getting more sleep as well, which would mean I'd be more alter and energetic. That seems to be how it works for others when I've read about their experiences. I suppose I just need to go ahead and actually do it.

Seems to me like all that would make you feel so much better inside that you might not focus so much on what's on the outside. And who knows, maybe the exercise - or at least the distraction it can provide - can help skin, too. :)

Good call. I've read that a lot. I haven't really done any exercise of any kind for years. I I could certainly do with being fitter. My initial concern when I started thinking about exercising was that I'd just end up losing weight and that cannot happen because I'm already ridiculously skinny. But then I figured that if I started using more energy, I'd want to eat more so things would balance out. I'd end up getting more sleep as well, which would mean I'd be more alter and energetic. That seems to be how it works for others when I've read about their experiences. I suppose I just need to go ahead and actually do it.

Seems to me like all that would make you feel so much better inside that you might not focus so much on what's on the outside. And who knows, maybe the exercise - or at least the distraction it can provide - can help skin, too. :)

Certainly does mate.

Do weight lifting, building some muscle, gain some weight, eat well and you are just too tired to care about acne.

Seriously i stay relatively clear these days with on going training. However if i breakout happens, im either too busy or too tired to care.

Also will sleep like a baby if u train hard.

Ongoing training! lol

That was meant to me ongoing treatment! haha

See just too tired from the gym lol

Mentally: Very low self-esteem, Social anxiety, plenty of insecurities, shyness (I've never been shy before acne)

Physically: I have to avoid certain foods, scars and increased risk of getting ill because of countless medications that I've taken.

This is all is happenning just becoz of some clogged pores. Ridiculousness!!!crazy.gif

worst is def mentally... my acne wasnt bad at all in high school and i had such high confidence... was getting girls everywhere

then acne hit me and shit hit the fan... thanks god for accutane

Ive lost friends, and missed out on alot, because my Acne has won...and I have lost....Its like an evil voice in my head, if it tells me I look ugly one day then I wont go out and Ill waste a whole day hiding indoors...sometimes I can tame those shitty voices, but lately, not often.

;o(

....Its like an evil voice in my head, if it tells me I look ugly one day then I wont go out and Ill waste a whole day hiding indoors...sometimes I can tame those shitty voices, but lately, not often.

;o(

Me too :( It's horrible. Just had a big tear-fest tonight because I feel so awful about looking like this. People tell me it's not as bad as I think, that it's much worse in my head than in reality, but to me it's all about how I see myself, not what they think.

I am so sick of the never ending cycle of new pimples. I will have a couple of days where I think everything is clearing up, then BAM! a new giant zit.

I have cancelled so many dates with friends, made my husband do the grocery shopping because I didn't want to leave the house and skipped uni classes because I don't want to be seen. There have been so many days where I have been preoccupied by the state of my skin. Days when all I can think about is coming home and washing my face, just to feel clean and like I am doing something to treat this.

I have spent hours examining my skin in front of the mirror, picking at non existent pimples and peeling off dry skin. I have done countless amounts of research for 'miracle cures' and remedies and spent so much money on every possible product, to only do more damage than good.

I so hope there will come a day in the not too distant future when I can be free of this and feel good about the way my skin looks. I want to be able to enjoy wearing makeup, instead of feeling like it is a mask to cover up the real me.

Sorry to hear you're feeling so down, Ali. I really hope you start to feel better in yourself very soon. comfort.gif

You know, I think that's probably the worst thing about acne - the way it can influence moods and make them change to such degrees. It's literally a case of polar opposites for me, sometimes during the very same day. I might find that when I wake up in a morning, I feel alright about it but by the time I go to bed that night, I hate myself and pretty much cry myself to sleep. It's not a regular thing, although it has happened this year more than most. I've attributed it to other things as well though because it's been a tough year so far. Whatever, I guess all we're really looking for is the ability to feel in control, not have to worry about what it's going to look like from one day to the next and to break that seemingly never-ending cycle. It's surely not too much to ask!

Speaking of control, Ali, you're currently attempting to take it back. That's what the Accutane's all about. It does of course mean that things usually get worse before they get better, and maybe that's where you're at right now, but it's all part of the long game so keep your goal in mind and stay as strong as you can. Take care of your skin as you are and remember that every day brings you closer to the end of your course and hopefully closer to the day when you are clear. Fingers crossed!

Personally, I find it interesting from a psychological point of view when people with husbands/wives/partners talk about how they don't like what they see and they feel awful about themselves. I've read posts here where people have talked about how they feel like a bad partner or a bad parent because of their acne. It just goes to show how much acne can mess with our perceptions. I mean, surely anyone with a partner knows without doubt that they have someone special who loves them for who they are - good and bad points, inside and out, acne or not? To me, that sounds like a truly wonderful thing to have and is perhaps a great source of support. I certainly admire people who, despite insecurities about their skin, have found it within themselves to go out and date or form relationships with someone they love because it's something I've never even had the guts to attempt because of my skin. Seems a lot of people need to give themselves a lot more credit and be so much prouder of how they deal with their acne.

smile.png

Edited by PaulH85

Self esteem issues, people commenting on my skin, the usual. Surprisingly, I don't have much scarring or pain from my acne, but I remember breaking out quite badly around the sides of my mouth, close to my lips. It hurt to talk for a few weeks.

Thanks so much Paul smile.png Your never ending support, care and kind words for others always amazes me and makes me smile.

Some days are just so hard, which I'm sure you can relate to. I have battled depression and low self esteem for a long time too. I try so hard to mask it and if you met me in person you would never think that I have these issues. Most of the time I can bury them and focus on the good things in my life, but sometimes it all just gets too much and it's all I can do to stop myself from crying. I totally know how acne can influence moods and attitudes and there have been many occasions when I have felt great until I've looked in the mirror sad.png I guess we all just have to stick together, lean on the ones we love for support and share our highs and lows here on the Org. It really is great to be able to come on here, vent our frustrations and get it all out. People without acne don't understand the mental anguish and pain we go through and it's so helpful to have this network of like minded people going through the same experiences.

I know I am trying to get control over my skin issues with accutane and I can tell that it is working (my skin everywhere except my right cheek is so smooth and looks good), but we live in a world of instant gratification and being a typical 'Gen Y', I don't like to wait biggrin.png

I get so self conscious about my skin, especially in front of my husband. We have been together for five years and when we met my skin was perfect. Now that it looks so horrible, all I want to do is hide from him. I know he loves me and thinks I'm pretty regardless of acne, but it still makes me feel gross when he has to look at me without makeup. Obviously his attraction to me if far more than skin deep and at the end of the day it doesn't matter what I look like to him, but I still want him to feel proud when he stands next to me.

Edited by AliJay

Ali I started tearing up reading your story. Regardless of wether you have one zit or a hundred, you still look gorgeous and you have a to die for smile... Chin up

What have u tried on ur skin btw?? Im using BP and jojoba oil atm and it seems to be working and I can tell you now. I have tried hundreds of products over the past mmmm 15 yrs... The Bp is controlling my skin, I have alot of scarring and red marks which it wont getr id of, but its helping with the zits.

Aww Trent, thanks so much for your kind words, it means a lot. It really is hard to look in the mirror some days and be happy with what I see. I try to tell myself so often that its "mind over matter" and that these tough days will make me stronger, but sometimes it all gets too much and I fall apart.

As for what I have tried for my skin, it feels like a never ending list!! I used BP with great success for about five years and then all of a sudden I got the breakout from hell and nothing topical would help. Over the years I have tried salicylic acid, proactive, various gentle cleansers, toners, scrubs, sponges, face cloths, apple cider vinegar, witch hazel, rosehip oil, sudocrem, green tea (topically and drinking it) topical antibiotics, oral antibiotics, vitamins, changes in diet and finally roaccutane. After a while it gets so frustrating and it's super easy to get disheartened and give up. I am also a little bit OCD when it comes to my skin, I wash my hands about a zillion times before I touch my face when I am putting on makeup or cleansing :) Oh I can't wait to (hopefully) not have to worry about this by the end of my roaccutane course!!

I hope your skin continues to clear up with the BP and jojoba oil. It's a long journey, but hopefully in a little while we will both be clear skinned!

acne caused me a lot of grief, especially early on, then i went through two major surgeries for my stomach, and lost my dad to cancer, and after all that, acne just doesnt matter, there are bigger things in life that can ,and do, happen, and the world wont stop turning if i stay in one spot and mope over it, so if i want to live i have to keep moving on, and i REALLY want to live! I brought major changes to my personality in the last few years and honestly i love the person my experiences have shaped me into; im kinder, more patient and i dont overreact to little things anymore, i always used to hear 'ull understand these things one day,' and 'its not the end of the world' from my parents and friends, and they were right. i love you all and wish you courage!

Edited by colostomus

bad.....bad things....... depression (a great deal)... i have been crying a lot lately....i've never felt so alone in my entire life..... i don't go out of my house, i can't find a job coz i don't have the confidence to face people.........

.....my brother noticed this and he said "what's causing your depression? why don't you go out or communicate with your friends"..... and it really pains me....

I can't tell anyone about this problem that i'm having about my acne....... so what do i do? i just cry myself to sleep and pray and hope that this too will pass.....but it's been so long now......

..... i really don't know what to do, i have tried many products but they don't seem to work.................

.... ACNE is the Death of me..........

.....but i will continue to fight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Carry on fighting , Margox, you can beat it. There are plenty of times when we all feel like it's getting the better of us or like we want to give up. In the grand scheme of things, there's so much more to all of us than acne so we shouldn't let it win. I wish you the best of luck in your search for new ideas and new options you can use to hopefully get the better of your acne. :)

I have embarrassing face, chest, and back acne scars and I'm starting to get acne on my shoulders and ribs and that's never happened before, its so embarrassing to me for my fiancée to even rub my shoulder because my skin isn't velvety smooth like woman's skin should be. I hate being ugly its not fair, what sucks the most is I'm a pin up model and i have people everyday tell me I'm beautiful but if they seen me without my makeup on and without being covered up they'd laugh and make fun of me like they did when i was 14.....I hate being this way and i know it sounds shallow but i want to be beautiful.....i know i am with make up on but i should look like those girls that are naturally beautiful without makeup on...and when they do put on makeup they're stunning....and think thats the worst part is the knowing that your capable of that beauty and being utterly powerless to achieve it....just because I've scars....I want to be able to walk outside on a hot day without bothering with makeup, without being so uncomfortable all because my makeup is clogging my pores and i can't even sweat..... I want to be normal, I've never seen another person in real life with scars on them like mine, with scars on their body, on their face.....I don't even have the decency to have regular acne scarring...no, I don't have box car, the deep ones, or ice pick scars, no my skin is deceptive...its almost flawlessly smooth...my scars are hyper-pigmentation scars....I'm African American, meaning they don't even have a f***ing laser that can fix that problem for me.....and to make it worse my skin isn't that dark i wear the lightest brown shade in all makeup lines.....therefore i can't even cover them properly....I'm lucky i can even cover what i can....I'm stuck...idk what to do all i know is, i can't keep going through life like this, I can't stand it..I know i have so much potential and i can't do one thing about it, simply because I'm wallowing in self pity/loathing and drowning in utter embarrassment..

Egypt a big hug to u okay, dont give up...its hard dealing with acne and acne scares...I have lareg pores from black heads all on the lower part of my nose and they r so noticable...I stress ervy day about them....A big hug for u okay??