Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I need an honest answer to this question: can antibiotics cure acne or are they just a band-aid solution?

My history - in high school I didn't really have problems with acne, I got blackheads and occasionally a spot or two but they always went away really fast and for the most part my skin was clear. When I started university I started to have more problems, mostly on my cheeks where I had never gotten acne before. The acne I get is really red, sometimes a bit sore, and definitely not small, but they're not cysts or nodules. I developed a really bad skin picking habit, often spending an hour or more picking at my face, which made my skin worse. However there were still periods of time over the past two years since I've been having problems where I've had clear skin. It never lasted long, but it has happened. Around March of this year I started getting even more acne, and I don't think I've had a single day of clear skin since then. Right now it's the worst it's ever been. I wanted Accutane but my doctor was afraid to put me on it because of my history with depression. She told me it would never be her first choice due to the type of acne I have and due to the risk of side effects, but that she wouldn't completely rule it out as an option if I've tried everything else. So she prescribed me Minocycline, and I was really upset because 1) I have a phobia of vomiting and I know that antibiotics can cause stomach upset, and 2) I'm definitely not going to stay on them for an extended period of time, so am I just putting off the inevitable? And what if they don't work? To which her response was, "what if they do?" She also said that it's different, because it's not like I'm 12 and going to have acne for the rest of my adolescence, I'm 20 and I've only started getting it in the past two years and she seems to think I will "outgrow" it. I have been seeing her since I was 14 so she knows my history and I value her opinion, but how likely is it that antibiotics will actually help me? Could I have caused the worsening of my acne by picking at my skin for so long or would it have happened anyway? I don't know of anyone in my family with adult acne, but I'm still worried that it will happen to me.. :\

Sorry this was so long. I really just want to know if antibiotics can "cure" my acne or will I end up on Accutane anyway?

Anyone? You don't have to read all that, I know it was a wall of text, but is there any chance of antibiotics getting rid of acne for good once you're off of them or am I just wasting time and will end up on Accutane anyway?