Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WishClear127

What type of acne did you have before diet cleared your skin?

For those of you who have been cleared or helped by a diet change- what was your acne like before? And what were your eating habits like before your acne was cleared?

I'll chime in. My acne was what I would consider severe, at points very severe. My acne was all over my cheeks, jawline, and chin. My forehead and nose/eye area have always been clear. To me it seems like there are two distinct different types of acne. Those who get it on their forehead/eye/nose area seem to be very oily, and those who get it on the cheeks/jawline/chin area have more combination type skin, with some areas oily others dry.

I was always a cystic/whitehead acne type. I never got black heads. I also had really bad complexion, blotchiness every where, my cheeks were usually bright red. When I changed my life through healthy diet/lifestyle, within I'd say two months my cheek acne was 100% gone. That was the first thing to go. Then next the jawline acne vanished, and last the chin acne. I messed around with "healthy eating" for 3-4 months though before I actually learned what healthy eating really is. I used to think wheat bread PB&J sandwhiches with a big glass of cow milk was being very healthy. Now a days people believe healthy eating is just avoiding McD's and ice cream, they honestly have no idea what healthy eating is.

Once I completely revamped the way I eat as a permanent lifestyle, getting plenty of exercise and sun, I completely cleared my very severe acne in less then a year. Personality plays a big role as well. I'm always in tune with my body, and know how emotions and stress work, it's hard to get me worked up over anything, as I know staying calm is always the best choice in any stressful situation. Staying cool calm and collected in the eye of a hurricane. Martial arts taught me the true meaning of that.

I can't say I am 100% clear, but I had moderate back acne which is now 100% gone. When I used to have soymilk in my cereal and have lots of dairy also, I would get lots of small white heads around my mouth area, but now there are a lot less.

All kinds and all over. But mostly inflamed acne and blackheads. My severe cystic acne turned out to be a food intolerance, but I still had other inflamed acne, very oily skin and blackheads. And as I got older, I also had the joy of rosacea.

I had moderate acne, and it was all over my face. I luckily never got any on my neck, chest or back, but I would often have cystic acne, and it was very very painful.

As of right now I dont have any spots at all. Its taken me a while to figure out the ideal diet for me, but diet does work.

This answer is going to be totally backwards from everyone else. But when I was 18 years old my face cleared up (I had moderate acne for 4 years). My diet before I cleared up was healthy, I ate really healthy, I had no sugars or greasy foods. When I finally cure my acne (still clear to this day) my diet went out he window, I was eating all sorts of fast food and sugary foods (college diet, lol). So my answer is in reverse of the question, but scientifically and for me at least food has never caused acne.

Edited by freeliving

When I finally cure my acne (still clear to this day) my diet went out he window, I was eating all sorts of fast food and sugary foods (college diet, lol). So my answer is in reverse of the question, but scientifically and for me at least food has never caused acne.

Well, scientifically, diet always affects acne. You most likely grew out of the acne tendency at 18 as many people do. However, that diet is harming you in ways far more important than acne and it is the reason this has become a culture of sickly people. You are on your way to becoming one of them.

When I finally cure my acne (still clear to this day) my diet went out he window, I was eating all sorts of fast food and sugary foods (college diet, lol). So my answer is in reverse of the question, but scientifically and for me at least food has never caused acne.

Well, scientifically, diet always affects acne. You most likely grew out of the acne tendency at 18 as many people do. However, that diet is harming you in ways far more important than acne and it is the reason this has become a culture of sickly people. You are on your way to becoming one of them.

Well that isn't very nice, but over the last year or so I have changed my diet, I eat more healthy now. And no you aren't correct. The majority of studies, you can even find them here on the My blog section say that diet does not have anything to do with acne, there are possible chances of that occurring, but they are slim next to nil.

Edited by freeliving

Well that isn't very nice, but over the last year or so I have changed my diet, I eat more healthy now. And no you aren't correct. The majority of studies, you can even find them here on the My blog section say that diet does not have anything to do with acne, there are possible chances of that occurring, but they are slim next to nil.

The only studies that don't show a connection to diet were seriously flawed. There have been tons of studies that do show a connection and you can find many of them right here in a thread pinned under important topics.

Besides, it is just as impossible for diet to not affect acne as any other health condition. Diet is how your body gets the nutrients it needs to function properly. And in the case of most people these days, it doesn't get the nutrients and instead gets a lot of crap that causes it harm that it has to struggle to deal with despite not having the nutrients to do so. When you eat stuff, stuff happens.

When the first signs of acne sprouted, my diet was woeful. I was never fat as a kid, and always active, but unfortunately my fuel consisted of mainly processed foods. My sweet and biscuit intake was quite shocking, really, and I'm surprised I only ended up with one filling in my teeth (I thank the sunlight for keeping my teeth as healthy as they were). My acne got progressively worse until around the beginning of this year, which was where I drew the line. At that point I had acne everywhere, ranging from cysts to blackheads. My face was shockingly red at some stages, inflamed, blotchy and unhealthy.

I took 3 months or so working my way into a more healthy approach. At this stage, my carb intake was still high, as I was still eating oats and wheat, albeit not processed. I'd also have the odd pastry snack. Since around June or so I really stepped my game up, and rid my acne 100%. It's nonexistant now! I simply do the following things:

Clean, whole diet consisting of plenty of greens (lots of dark), lean cuts of meat, fruit (berries and kiwis mostly), moderate nuts (usually macadamia), important probiotics (gut health may have been the most crucial factor in my clearing), herbal teas, fish! and spices for their amazing antioxidant properties - oregano, ginger, cinammon, basil, thyme, rosemary and loads more. Chillies too.

Exercise regularly and moderately. Prolonged intense workouts made my acne very bad, explainable by raised cortisol, I imagine.

Plenty of sunlight, and lycopene (tomatoes, red bell peppers), saturated fat and omega 3s to combat the UV rays without the use of awful sunscreens.

Stress and wellbeing - I became as unconcious of my skin as best I could, and took joy in life's most simple endeavours - walks, forests, beaches, mountains, nature, people.

My back marks, which I had for years and years, have vanished. My face is completely clear of acne, and the marks I thought indeliable are honestly going to have disappeared within the next month or two at this rate (i found ACV internally to be the best for my red marks). I use no topicals, and wash my face with cold water in the morning. I don't wash my hair with any product.

Edited by neverforget

I use no topicals, and wash my face with cold water in the morning. I don't wash my hair with any product.

I bet if you ate junk food now you still wouldnt get acne. This is the same thing I did, so it is the both of us in the same pot...nice to find someone that on the same track as me!

The same thing happened to me! I did not have a very healthy lifestyle while I was in college, but my face was clear! I recently have been trying to be more healthy (I changed my diet not because of acne), and now I get a pimple every month!

I've been trying to figure out what is going on. I've been drinking milk, although I know I'm allergic (just in my cereal), so I decided to cut that out. But I still got a pimple on my chin this month.

This answer is going to be totally backwards from everyone else. But when I was 18 years old my face cleared up (I had moderate acne for 4 years). My diet before I cleared up was healthy, I ate really healthy, I had no sugars or greasy foods. When I finally cure my acne (still clear to this day) my diet went out he window, I was eating all sorts of fast food and sugary foods (college diet, lol). So my answer is in reverse of the question, but scientifically and for me at least food has never caused acne.

The same thing happened to me! I did not have a very healthy lifestyle while I was in college, but my face was clear! I recently have been trying to be more healthy (I changed my diet not because of acne), and now I get a pimple every month!

I've been trying to figure out what is going on. I've been drinking milk, although I know I'm allergic (just in my cereal), so I decided to cut that out. But I still got a pimple on my chin this month.

A pimple a month? As in one? A month?

And how has your diet changed? What are you calling healthy?

I usually get one, sometimes two, the week before my period.

It's an inflamed pimple, but it's not a cyst.

I stopped eating frozen foods. I've primarily been eating salads (spinach, tomato, mushroom, egg), but I do still eat cereal (with almond milk), watermelon, canned peaches, and canned soup.

I stopped eating frozen foods. I've primarily been eating salads (spinach, tomato, mushroom, egg), but I do still eat cereal (with almond milk), watermelon, canned peaches, and canned soup.

I know one other thing that has caused some of my lady friends minor breakouts, and that is the PILL. If you are on BC it messes up with your hormones and is a possible side effect that causes acne.

I've been on my BCP for 4.5 years though, and this just recently started.

I know one other thing that has caused some of my lady friends minor breakouts, and that is the PILL. If you are on BC it messes up with your hormones and is a possible side effect that causes acne.

Well that's all I have experience with and I am not a doctor or dermatologist so I can't refer you to anything I don't know. Good luck with figuring out what your problem is.

Ok, a healthy diet means keeping all meals low to moderate GL, more anti-inflammatory than inflammatory foods, mostly nutrient dense foods. And avoiding anything you have an intolerance to.

Spiking blood sugar spikes insulin stimulates the production of excess hormones. All kinds, but especially those involved in acne. And it's inflammatory. Both of which are aging and just plain bad for you. They are the root cause of most of the degenerative health conditions this sickly culture suffers from like type II diabetes, heart disease, high blood pressure, all the conditions considered part of aging, etc.

Whether or not your diet is healthy would depend on how you are eating the sugary watermelon and canned peaches. Cans are lined with a plastic that messes with your hormones btw, and acidic foods leach that into the food. Peaches and tomatoes are the worst things to get in cans or plastic.

What kind of cereal, what you are eating this high glycemic food with and whether or not you have an intolerance to grains which are not a health food. I don't agree with people who say they are pure evil and must be avoided at all costs, but many people are very intolerant to them, everyone should try avoiding them for a couple of months, and they should be limited. And some are worse than others.

And what's in the soup? There aren't many with any kind of nutritional value and most are full of crap.

B6 has been found to be particularly helpful in preventing menstrual issues including monthly acne breakouts. But it doesn't work alone. All kinds of nutrients are needed to work with it.

Edited by alternativista

Extremely oily, acne was primarily concentrated on cheeks, with very little on my jawline and chin. Forehead area was 100% clear 99% of the time. Very milk scarring, but skin was inflamed and red.

Besides that, relatively good skin texture in the areas in which I was clear and no visible signs of aging (yet!)