Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mufco

..just had DEEP FX yesterday!

Greetings all! I've been surfing this forum for a while, and I finally decided to have Deep FX for my acne scars, which are mostly icepicks and boxcars

So yesterday, I had the procedure done to all the individual scars on my cheeks, nose, temples etc.

I had topical anesthesia for about 30min. and another 30min for the laser.

It was mostly painless, I guess the level of pain is about 1/10. how come? :surprised:

Today is Day 1 post-op.

There are very minimal swelling around the treatment areas, with no bleeding and oozing now (not much after the procedure at all), but skin still looks red and lumpy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May I ask you for advice regarding the aftercare? :question:

I got this antibiotic ointment named "chloramphenicol" which I apply to the treated area 3 times a day, and wash only with water.

I was told that I can stop using the ointment as soon as the wounds are closed, which, are closed by now.

1. Can I start using a gentle cleanser tmr? like cetaphil?

2. and replace the antibiotic ointment with cetaphil moisturising cream or some moisturizers?

3. I was also told to put on sunscreen after my skin has healed. How long does it take usually?

THanks for ur help! I'll keep you updated :cool:

Edited by mufco

hey there. Don't forget to come back and report results. You gotta give it a few months for the microswelling to go down before you see an real results. There's also a laser section somewhere on this forum. I think they would give you better advice on after care.

Thx for the reply Roller, I guess this section is more active, so I posted here.

I hope to see results soon, but I expect to have multiple treatments in the coming years, as most of my scars are quite deep and irregular in shape..

i was surprised.. really!

maybe Total FX would be more painful, but I just wanted Deep FX for faster recovery.

Anyway, today'a Day 2 post-op.

Redness has gone done just a bit, but basically I look the same as yesterday.

Today I keep using the antibiotic ointment (i guess as I don't have side effects from it, I can keep using it instead of vaseline or other occlusive ointment) and started using Cetaphil gentle cleanser.

Through email my doctor suggested using Skinceuticals Phloretin CF after my skin's ready (expensive stuff, might try a sample first) and resume differin after a month.

At what level were you treated? Your lack of swelling and absence of pain bother me. Icepick scars are usually the most difficult to treat with lasers. The whole thing with lasers is that the progress is gradual and multiple treatments are needed. I will be going for my 5th Fraxel Re:pair this fall. I usually switched to Cetaphil by the 3rd day.

I had this done initially for extenisive rolling acne scars on cheeks, temples and forehead in 9/2/2010 and had no results, unfortunately. I never had the money to keep going with i (after 2), and I stopped because there were reports from users who had it 2x and 3x for rolling scars and saw no results (talk with Ziko). I did not even see minimal results on my shallowest, newest scars and paid over 4 k for 2 Deep Fx's. Not sure, but maybe the doctor just did not go strong enough, but I also had subcision right before the same day, so I was really surprised with the outcome. My current silicone microdroplet doc is pushing the Repair on me and I'm not so sure, but I would think maybe now that my scars are so much shallower from the silicone (and I'm happier with it, though still depressed) I may try a series. I really can't afford the expense though, and it was too disheartening for me to continue, I remember.

If you want multiple treatments (more than 3), be prepared to spend upwards of 7 to 10k, and results are not guaranteed. Check out lamfacialplastics.com forum. Dr Samuel Lam is a renowned cosmetic surgeon with extensive acne scarring background, and he is a staunch opponent of lasers for acne scars. He has many good literature and online forum to ask questions about why laser and resurfacing don't work for acne scars. I know it worked for Dudley somehow, but I haven't really noticed anyone else exalt over this, so just a warning to tread carefully before you keep dropping more hard earned. I'm still making payments on this procedure I had financed, and it kills me every month I have to send out a few hundred dollar check.

Edited by ylem

I had this done for extenisive rolling acne scars on cheeks, temples and forehead in 9/2/2010 and had no results, unfortunately. I never had the money to keep going with it, and I stopped because there were reports from users who had it 2x and 3x for rolling scars and saw no results (talk with Ziko). I did not even see minimal results on my shallowest, newest scars and paid over 2.5 k for just the first one. Not sure, but maybe the doctor just did not go strong enough, but I also had subcision right before the same day, so I was really surprised with the outcome. My current silicone microdroplet doc is pushing the Repair on me and I'm not so sure, but I would think maybe now that my scars are so much shallower from the silicone (and I'm happier with it, though still depressed) I may try a series. I really can't afford the expense though, and it was too disheartening for me to continue, I remember.

If you want multiple treatments (more than 3), be prepared to spend upwards of 7 to 10k, and results are not guaranteed. Check out lamfacialplastics.com forum. Dr Samuel Lam is a renowned cosmetic surgeon with extensive acne scarring background, and he has many good literature and online forum to ask questions about why laser and resurfacing don't work for acne scars. I know it worked for Dudley somehow, but I haven't really noticed anyone else exalt over this, so just a waring to tread carefully before you keep dropping more hard earned. I'm still making payments on this procedure I had financed, and it kills me every month I have to send out a few hundred dollar check.

You and I know that lasers by themselves have their shortcomings as well as unpredictable results. However, I can't help but think there's a synergistic effect when combined with Recell. As long as the laser does adequate damage in the key areas and the Re cell takes care of the healing. Something to think about.

Edited by Roller

Yea, I remember wishing I could have that the same day, but it just isn't offered anywhere around here.

BTW...refer to my edit to make it clear that I had 2 rounds od Deep FX. There's a pciture of me right after the first one where I was red and swollen the first day somwhere around this forum.

There were also numerous posts on youtube and other online sites, saying this did not work after 3 or more for some people and they deeply regretted it, so I felt I had to stop.

Edited by ylem

Check out my Re cell thread when you have time.

There are alot of practioners in Canada offering Re:pair. It might take a bit of convincing to get them to do a re cell as well, but its worth a shot.

Edited by Roller

At what level were you treated? Your lack of swelling and absence of pain bother me. Icepick scars are usually the most difficult to treat with lasers. The whole thing with lasers is that the progress is gradual and multiple treatments are needed. I will be going for my 5th Fraxel Re:pair this fall. I usually switched to Cetaphil by the 3rd day.

Before the treatment my doc said the power will be 15-20, averaging 17.5

I actually had some local swelling at the areas treated, but not much, e.g. like a big mosquito bite, but no generalized swelling.

could it be due to the fact that the doc simply treated the scars, which are distributed throughout? I remember the "zaps" were all pretty quick - they lasted around half a second each time. so I guess I couldn't have generalized swelling from that?

Anyway, I can't do anything but wait now.. so I'll hope for the best, hopefully to report good news later. And all the best for your 5th repair! glad that you have improvement to your scars!

;) To Ylem: thanks for your reply. I hope you'll find a treatment that works for you eventually!

concerning rolling scars, what do you think about going for non-ablative lasers? like affirm or sth?

and isn't subcision the best procedure for them?

Edited by mufco

Ive done the non ablative thing, fraxel restore back in 2007. I did 8 rounds of that. It's really hard because you're fighting aging at the same time as the scar treatment, so your skin can't repair itself as well as you get older and your scars look worse. I also had a breakout last year that left new rolling scars in areas that were previously scar free, so ive been very upset with my skin lately. The silicone is the only thing that has really helped so far, but I still want more improvement because of the new scarring I got.

Wow dudley your going for a 5th?

I guess you didn't see it but i asked in another thread where you posted how you feel things are going after your 4th repair treatment.

I don't mind the pain from repair but the downtime is so difficult for me to schedule.