Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RedDixieCup

Facial Hair + Acne = so much fail

Hi Ladies (and gents if there are any in this forum) Sorry in advance for the long post, but I've got some history

My question is about facial hair and acne. About 23-24 I started noticing single coarse black hairs popping up on my chin....at first it was one or two but now ten years later, I could grow a full on grandma beard. I've also been dealing with acne since I was nine. I've done differin, retin-A, two rounds of accutane in the early 90's and for about ten years or so my face was mostly clear. But now it's getting worse and the combo of the acne coming back and burgeoning beard, I'm thinking my hormones are probably out of whack. Actually, I kind of suspect it's PCOS, but that's unconfirmed at this point.

Regardless, I was just wondering if anyone had this sort of combination problem and if this Spironolactone has helped any. From my research (how I ended up here), it seems like it might. I've got an appointment with a dermatologist next month and I'm definitely going to bring it up to her. Has anyone actually requested it? I'm wondering how she might react to my suggestion. If I could combo punch the hair and the acne at one time, that would be fantastic.

Also, for the ladies that do have this problem....ingrown hairs. On your chin! UGH!!! Like I don't have enough to worry about already. The only thing I've found that helps is Tend Skin, but it is spendy. So I'm hoping that will go away too with the rest of the trifecta of fail.

You have issues with your testosterone levels. I think you produce too much out of it, and your hormones are unbalanced. You have the same problem as me. Ask for 75-100 mg of Spironolactone , and get on birth control as well since Spiro and BC are androgen blockers. You will see a lot of success, and the hair on your face will lessen immensely and you won't grow as much anymore. Same goes for your legs and the rest of the hair on your body. You will see a lot of success with this combination.

Yup I've been on BC for almost 18 years now. Good to hear about the spiro. My body hair isn't that bad but I do have to shave my legs every day and I have a little happy trail. It's so great being a girl :dance:

Oh wow! That is a long time. Well, if it is still working, more power to you! Definitely ask about Spiro.

Hi Ladies (and gents if there are any in this forum) Sorry in advance for the long post, but I've got some history

My question is about facial hair and acne. About 23-24 I started noticing single coarse black hairs popping up on my chin....at first it was one or two but now ten years later, I could grow a full on grandma beard. I've also been dealing with acne since I was nine. I've done differin, retin-A, two rounds of accutane in the early 90's and for about ten years or so my face was mostly clear. But now it's getting worse and the combo of the acne coming back and burgeoning beard, I'm thinking my hormones are probably out of whack. Actually, I kind of suspect it's PCOS, but that's unconfirmed at this point.

Regardless, I was just wondering if anyone had this sort of combination problem and if this Spironolactone has helped any. From my research (how I ended up here), it seems like it might. I've got an appointment with a dermatologist next month and I'm definitely going to bring it up to her. Has anyone actually requested it? I'm wondering how she might react to my suggestion. If I could combo punch the hair and the acne at one time, that would be fantastic.

Also, for the ladies that do have this problem....ingrown hairs. On your chin! UGH!!! Like I don't have enough to worry about already. The only thing I've found that helps is Tend Skin, but it is spendy. So I'm hoping that will go away too with the rest of the trifecta of fail.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I do understand as I am suffering also from facial hair & acne.

I have for as long as i can remember been taking somthing to control the excess oil in my skin

and mostly with success. Birth control pills, and numerous antibiotics & creams. When I turned 40 my skin became worse so my dermo placed me on a course of roacutane. That worked until i finished the course so he put me on another course. After that I took a low dose of roacutane every day for about 8 years. This seemed to work but as I was getting older the roacutane was affecting my eyes making them dryer and continually watering.

At my suggestion the dermatologist placed me on spironolactone. It had worked for me when i was younger so i thought it might be a better option than roacutane. I started on 25mg of spiro per day. I stopped the roacutane immediately. After 2 weeks the dose was increased to 50mg per day. One month later nothing seemed to be working so my dose was increased again. I am currently taking 175mg of spiro per day. My skin is no longer oily but i still have persistant hair growth on my chin. It will be 1 year in October since i went on spiro. I am hoping to stay on it for a little longer as I do not have any problems with dryness of my eyes which was driving me crazy when I was taking roacutane.

I live in hope that one day there will be a simple cure for this very distressing problem. It truly is affecting my life and the way i live it. My family have been very supportive and I try to positive

but there are a lot of times when i just want to end it. I will be 50 next year.

I wish you success in your search of clear, smooth skin.

Suzannah

Hi all. I have this same problem, except that I'm in my early twenties and it started late teens. It is normal for women to have facial hair to some degree (my mother has always waxed/ used jolen bleach for her "moustache") but a full-blown beard is definitley not normal for a lady at any stage of life and would be considered "hirutism." Acne and excessive hair growth combination definitley indicates increased androgen levels (excess of male hormones), which can be massively influenced by both stress and diet. Hirutism is connected with insulin levels so a low gylcemic diet is definitley worth pursuing as is sress reduction techniques. Personally, I suffer from CFS and my problem with acne started soon after the onset of my illness, so I know its all connected (hormones, stress, immune system abnormalities ect). Worth investigating PCOS also, but evn if that does not prove to be the cause, these symptoms are indicative of internal problems. I took dianette for a while, which helped with the acne but not noticably with the hair growth. I think if it is really bothering you, it is worth getting laster hair removal ( a bit pricey, but can you really put a price on peace of mind?)

Edited by duendeni

Hi, I have been reading posts on this forum for about 6 months but this is my first post! I am a 31 year old female who has been dealing with pimples, oiliness and excess hair. And I want all of you to know that although it seems bad now, there are ways to fix our problems and ways to get rid of it and feel beautiful again.

Laser hair removal is a great solution for the hair as most lasers also damage the sebaceous glands so they produce less oil. So kill two birds with one stone! The laser machine that I've had used on me is gentlelase and everytime I've gone for a laser treatment it has gotten rid of any pimples and kills severe oiliness for a while. Also, it will take a lot longer for the hair to grow back with laser as opposed to waxing, threading and plucking. Also I should mention that I'm middle eastern and we are naturally hairy, so there are nations of people with much more hair than you! : )

I have found that zinc (opti-zinc) specifically was very helpful for oiliness and pimples at 50 mg a day but made me sick. Saw Palmetto also will also be helpful at 320 mg a day for oiliness. Take a multi vitamin and Ester C vitamin C 1000 mg also, this is great for the immune system.

Don't give up hope! Also, try not to obsess about it because stress causes testosterone to rise which equals more oil and pimples. Oiliness and pimples will go away one day and are no excuse NOT to live and enjoy your life. You are all beautiful intelligent women that deserve to be happy!!! Everyone goes through this. Every women i know has had acne at one point in there lives. The most important thing is to not let it get the best of you.

Sooo, just to follow up. I saw my dermatologist and got back on Retin A which I think I overdid because I'm very dry and flaky now and the corners of my mouth hurt like a bitch. She also suggested I see my GYN about PCOS and get checked out before she put me on the Spiro and sure enough I have it. Soooo now I'm starting on Spiro, probably this weekend. But just the Retin A has cleared up most of what I had, just not the cysts under my jaw.

Also, it's aldosterone, not testosterone that was causing this.