Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lpd213

Acne and stress

I dunno if this is in the correct forum, but i was wondering is there any evidence that acne is caused by stress?? I always thought that it was for some reason, especially overnight i had somethin problematic happen to me and now my face seems more inflamed and what not... I was just wondering if anybody has anything about the relationship between acne and stress

I definately see a link to my daughter's acne and stress. It may not be the cause of acne, but I think it definately can trigger it.

Your evidence?....i dissagree with what you guys/gals are saying here.

Sometimes i wonder if you guys are just putting the blame for acne on anything you can think of i.e masturbation/sleeping/alcohol/food/drink/what way you sleep!

the list goes on and on and on and on....if you have no evidence that stress is linked to acne,don't bother saying otherwise as it's just false information.

Now if you have some evidence then i'll be happy to eat my words smile.gif

I was going for once every two days but my skin is feeling so oil free that im on day 5-6 (i lost count) without anything touching my face.Well i know you're being sarcastic and all but i saw an 70% oil reduction and accelerated healing (i have pictures).Basically if this continues ill be 100% clear (coming from severe 1 month ago) in 20-40days.So have a great time putting crap on your skin and lightening your wallet.

I was going for once every two days but my skin is feeling so oil free that im on day 5-6 (i lost count) without anything touching my face.Well i know you're being sarcastic and all but i saw an 70% oil reduction and accelerated healing (i have pictures).Basically if this continues ill be 100% clear (coming from severe 1 month ago) in 20-40days.So have a great time putting crap on your skin and lightening your wallet.

When I first started uni in last september, I was pretty stressed and noticed that my acne had gotten worse at the time. As soon as I stopped going to uni a lot less, my skin looked clearer for some reason. I dunno if its got anything to do with stressing about what others think about your skin or something cos this is all I've ever gotten stressed about.

Nothing else I can think of has made me stressed in my entire life. So maybe stress can aggravate acne.

there is a definite link between acne and stress.. basically what happens is when we get stressed our adrenal glands secrete less 'cortisol' cortisol is basically our natural anti inflammatory, and when we are secreting less of it, our acne gets worse.

The increase in the thickness of the oils being secreted as sweat is partly controlled by chemicals called Androgens.

Androgens are metabolites of Testosterone.

Guys usually have much higher Testosterone levels than gurls. But girls also produce Testosterone, in smaller amounts, as a way to control muscle growth and regulated other biochemical processes.

Testosterone levels in girls usually begin splitting away from those found in guys, at a very rapid rate, during their teens.

Instead, girls produce a lot more of the hormone Oestrogen. Oestrogen regulates monthly periods, reproduction and other things like fat production. Oestrogen is what triggers girls to change from being physically similar to guys to having boobs and curves. It also reduces the thickness of the oils in their sweat - which probably explains why girls seems to like moisturiser so much.

To add to the unfairness, a lot of girls take the contraceptive pill, which is Oestrogen based. This thins out the oils in their sweat even futher.

An obvious idea would be to give anyone with skin problems Oestrogen. Great if your a girl. If you're a guy, you probably don't want to grow a pair of boobs though. huh.gif

Testosterone is the same hormone that makes guys more predisposed to violence than girls. It plays a major role in the sex drive of both sexes as well.

You can not choose whether or not your body produces these hormones, and to modify them takes -a-l-o-t- of care. This is because the body is incredibly sensitive to them and because they usually control more than one process at the same time. The processes they control can usually detect about the same change as you'd make by dropping a single drop of food dye into a swimming pool - zero kidding...

This is why there is a chemical contraceptive for girls and not for guys - Because the reproductive cycle in girls is periodic and not continuous; it switches on and off once a month or so.

Testosterone levels in both sexes are elivated by a lot of things. Distress, anger and sexual tension are all contributors. Think about what happens the more and more something annoys you, you get more and more violent until you snap at some point. This is partly due to the rising Testosterone levels in your body telling you body to use more force.

This is kind of ironically cruel if you think about it's implications since it's a loop that feeds back into it's self. The more angry you become with your appearance and the more depressed you feel around the other sex, the higher and higher the levels get.

As they raise, your sweat becomes thicker and clogs in your pores even quicker.

If anything, masturbation should lower the Testosterone levels in your body. The sweeping rush of endorphines (happy chemicals) during orgasm should also lower levels of depression, tension and stress.

Great huh!? Finally something interesting to investigate! tongue.gif

Rather than allowing yourself to become stressed out and anrgy, try to vent anger at something or into something. You could put it into music, excercise or use it to back you up on doing things that you use to push your life forward positively.

As funny as it sounds, learning to take deep breaths sighing often, as if you're sighing, and giving your body a stretch can go a long way to making you feel happier.

Don't just sit back and soak it up. It doesn't just disappear into nothingness. It tenses your body up.

I dunno if this is in the correct forum, but i was wondering is there any evidence that acne is caused by stress?? I always thought that it was for some reason, especially overnight i had somethin problematic happen to me and now my face seems more inflamed and what not... I was just wondering if anybody has anything about the relationship between acne and stress

I don't think there is any medical condition that is improved by stress.Stress on the body mainifests itself in different ways per indidvidual which is why my one of my staff members has IBS flare ups when she's under continued stress while I get a nasty cyst or two or three. Genetic makeup probably predisposes those of us who are acne prone to have that kind of physical manifestation due to stress.Also, I know I don't sleep, eat or excerise as well as I need to when I'm stressed out. I'm sure that plays a secondary role in aggravating the skin.And, your skin is the largest oragn of the human body, so if stress affects the body then stress affects the skin.It is common sense.