Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
uglies

crazy breakout and acne suddenly turned nodular cytsic

Over the last 4 days my inflamed acne has gone bezerk, and to top it all off two nodular cystic looking lumps have appeared on my temples. Currently only two, but they're bright red and growing bigger by the day. I'm hoping to get an appointment with the doctor tomorrow. No idea if he would be able to inject them with cortisone but if he can't then what can I do?

Retin-A?

Germolene?

Dalacin-T?

Salicylic acid mask?

I would really appreciate it if someone could advise. and if anyone has a clue as to why this has suddenly happened.

SUPPLEMENTS

Supplement wise I'm taking zinc picolinate (30mg) and copper (2mg), in addition to acidophilus (2million bacterias), 1.1g omega 3, cod liver oil (can't remember how much), d3 spray (1000IU).

MEDICATIONS

Medication wise I am on the lowest dose of fluoextine, and also levothyroxine. I take cetirazine for hayfever but it doesn't help.

CLEANSERS

I alternate my facewashes; sometimes it'll be Kiehl's Original Facewash in the morning and Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, sometimes the other way around, sometimes both Kiehl's, other times both Cetaphil. Both worked well initially but now neither seem to be combatting my acne at all.

MOISTURIZERS

I moisturize with aloe vera gel at night and Clinique Super Defense (oily/combo skin) in the daytime.

MASKS

3 weeks ago I began doing twice weekly manuka honey (UMF 15) masks and once weekly egg white masks. I also occasionally used manuka honey as a spot treatment.

TOPICALS

Around the same time as starting the manuka masks I began also using fresh lemon juice every night, either mixed with aloe vera gel or underneath it. I quit the lemon juice a week ago.

8 days ago I began using tea tree oil (4 drops mixed with 1 tsp aloe vera gel) every morning and night. Am I using too much? Could this be the cause of the sudden flare up and the nodular cysts? It wasn't until I began the TTO that the nodular cysts started to appear.

7 days ago I began using Garden of Wisdom's vitamin C serum, a dime sized amount every other morning.

Occasionally I use Retin-A (at night, probably once or twice a week), Dalacin-T (night+morning, about once a week), and Germolene (night, about once a fortnight)

I also have PCOS, endometriosis, mild asthma and suspected histamitosis.

MEDICATIONS I AM PROHIBITED FROM TAKING (DR's ADVICE TO ME)

Accutane/Roacctune (due to hereditary conditions)

Birth control (I am already substantially overweight, cannot afford to gain any more)

DIET

Since three weeks I try my best to avoid soy, gluten and dairy, however some days they are unavoidable. Other than that I attempt to eat a healthy balanced diet (minimum 5 portions fruit and veg a day, one portion of protein rich fish or meat) and drink around 4 litres of water.

EXCERCISE

Rarely. Perhaps cycling or walking once or twice a week.

Apologies for the essay but I'm seriously panicking right now. Over the last several months my acne has become worse than it ever was as a teenager. Despite trying my utmost to sort out my skin problems they are just getting worse by the day, which is seriously depressing me as I have atrocious acne scarring from my teens and now it's only going to get worse it seems. There doesn't seem to be any positives for me to cling onto, I feel I'm fighting a losing battle.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I recently just started having bad breakouts also and I was clear 3 months ago :(. But I will say this since my regimen I have been improving significantly. Since you have manuka honey already try adding 100% organic cinammon powder to it and spot treat over night. My 3 nodules/cysts have since then dried up and don't hurt anymore. I am just patiently waiting for them to go away. Although there will be scarring at least I can cover the red marks with makeup :). Try it! Oh and I also heard calamine lotion and will be trying to see which is better in spot treating cysts.

I also just ordered, Raw African Black Soap from Ghana. I heard it is a great face wash that removes a lot of impurities from the skin.

I would return your Clinique moisturizer. I broke out horrible from their makeup :/ and 3-Step Regimen. Try using something else. I use AHA cream with two drops of jojoba oil during the day and just jojoba and emu oil together at night (makes your face shiny) great for red marks.

I'm sorry you are going through this. I recently just started having bad breakouts also and I was clear 3 months ago :(. But I will say this since my regimen I have been improving significantly. Since you have manuka honey already try adding 100% organic cinammon powder to it and spot treat over night. My 3 nodules/cysts have since then dried up and don't hurt anymore. I am just patiently waiting for them to go away. Although there will be scarring at least I can cover the red marks with makeup :). Try it! Oh and I also heard calamine lotion and will be trying to see which is better in spot treating cysts.

I also just ordered, Raw African Black Soap from Ghana. I heard it is a great face wash that removes a lot of impurities from the skin.

I would return your Clinique moisturizer. I broke out horrible from their makeup :/ and 3-Step Regimen. Try using something else. I use AHA cream with two drops of jojoba oil during the day and just jojoba and emu oil together at night (makes your face shiny) great for red marks.

Hi MissMinx, thanks for the recs!