Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jluth2010

Kenalog Injection for Red Raised Scar

Posted

Has anyone here had experience with receiving kenalog injections for a red, raised scar? I know there is a risk of atrophy or "dents", but I feel like this is something I want to try. I've had this nasty scar under my bottom lip for months and months and I am not seeing very much, if any, imrpovement. My doctor suggested it but was hesitant due to the risk of leaving a dent.

Will kenalog reduce the redness of the scar? Or does it just flatten it? This is what I am mostly concerned about (the redness) - I have read differing opinions about this online.

Thank you so much for the help! This scar is really stressing me out.

Posted

yes it does, the redness is due to the blood-filled capillary-rich nature of the collagen of hypertrophic scars

steroid injections destroy everything, so the redness will go away as the bump shrinks

mine is perfectly normal colored now, even though it's not completely flat

Posted

Awesome! How long did it take to see results after you had it injected? Where was your scar located if you don't mind my asking? No dent I am assuming?

Posted

I had keloid (raised) scars that I got injected. Mine were all located on my shoulders and one on my chest. My derm at the hospital did them for free w/my insurance. They are now ALL flat (I had probably about 7-9) and 2 still with color.

Keep in mind that you may need several treatments/rounds of injections. I had my last round done this past Thursday (for the 2 big/stubborn ones). You will see results in less than a week. You will notice the scars getting softer and also less prominent especially at the borders and the high point. My derm erred on the safe side and probably put less then she could have doing the treatments just to make sure they didn't atrophy. And none of them have

The derm took the color out using the v-beam laser which cost me $100 per treatment.

Posted

Cool. Thank you! This is very helpful.

So, some the redness was reduced in some of them just with the kenalog injections, but a few needed the laser treatment. Interesting.

My doctor gave me a topical corticosteroid and said he expects some improvement by Sept or Oct., but I just don't know if I want to wait that long. I believe he said that if things don't improve he would consider the intralesional injection in Sept. or Oct.

Posted

Wow. That is a long time to wait. I would just say get them done. The only thing I regret about getting the injections is that I didn't get them sooner. :) Unless of course your scar is VERY small. I had small ones injected once and they were gone. The bigger ones took like 4 or 5 treatments.

Different derms have different opinions. I have seen 3 and all had differing opinions.

Posted

Yeah, I was a little frustrated by his timeline. This is just a weird scar, and I hope everyday that it is only temporary. It is pretty small, but it looks worse because it is red and raised right under my lip. I'm nervous about the dent, but I think I'll wait until the beginning of September and if no improvement is seen I will do it.

I probably think it looks worse than it really does. One doctor said he couldn't even really see it.

You make it sound like if the dermatologist is careful and conservative, then the risk is pretty minimal. Thank you for alleviating my concerns and providing me with some hope. The thought that one injection could basically flatten and eliminate the redness completely is pretty great.

Posted

Have you by chance seen a different derm for a 2nd opinion? It couldn't hurt.

Also your right. We always think our skin or scars are worse then they actually are. We are our own worse critic. :)

Posted

Yes, I have seen a total of 3 doctors about it. One said he could hardly see it and suggested I just give it a year to mature and possibly heal, the other two gave me a topical corticosteroid (which has done little) and both said they could inject it but were hesitant to do so because of the risk of "denting" the area.

At this point, I'm just going to try it and risk it. I'm just so sick of it. It's not improving on its own or with the stuff he gave me.

Again, your advice is much appreciated. I just wish I would have done this sooner when they suggested it months ago.