Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
netstars22

BenzaClin making acne worse?

Hi, I am having a big problem. I started BenzaClin two weeks ago, and the first week, I noticed no difference from when I was using my previous product (Neutrogena On-The-Spot 2.5% Benzoyl Peroxide). This week, however, things got ugly. I developed a pimple on the surface on my nose (surprisingly, on the tip of my nose, I never get pimples). That smaller pimple ruptured yesterday, but 3 days ago, a larger, way more noticeable and swollen pimple appeared. Another problem is that it hurts when touched, unusual for my acne. What happened? Is my skin "purging", even though before BenzaClin I used On The Spot religiously? I stopped BenzaClin yesterday and switched that out with Neutrogena On The Spot.

Benzaclin has both a topical antibiotic (clindamycin) and obviously the BP in it. Here is info just from their website: BP is helpful in reducing inflammation of acne. Benzoyl peroxide is also effective at drying the oil commonly found in patients with acne vulgaris. Clindamycin is an antibiotic that helps fight bacteria and reduces inflammation of pimples.

There really shouldnt be a purging considering its an antibiotic. I have been on Benzaclin for probably about 5 years and really like it. It dries everything out and when I feel a new bump coming up, I find when I use this as a spot treatment it help a lot with how fast it comes up and the size or sometimes they will just go away. I would stick with it but I know some people find it too harsh for their skin.