Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Again!

Question for all who have severe acne

Okay, so maybe I am wrong in my thinking, But as someone who has had severe cystic acne (with no breaks-just constantly gets worse) for half of my life, it really bothers me when I read about so many people going on accutane who really have a mild case of zits.

I will read a new post about how horrible their acne is and how ugly they are. (I'm thinking oh someone like me who understands!) Then they post a picture and I'm like whatever! I would do anything to have my acne that mild! I literally have painful cysts all over my checks, chin and down my neck.

I also know that there is always someone out there with worse acne than mine and that does humble me. With that said, I know for certain that mine is severe. I suppose, I find it hard to read them saying how ugly they are and then see a picture with a few pimples. It makes someone like me (who's face is all inflamed) feel like crap!

Who knows, maybe this is just me, but I am curious to get other peoples take on this.

I had cystic acne, not terribly bad, but worse than average. It sucked, sometimes I would get HUGE cysts.

If you're unsure of whether to go on accutane, go on it. It will change your life completely if it works.

I had cystic acne, not terribly bad, but worse than average. It sucked, sometimes I would get HUGE cysts.

If you're unsure of whether to go on accutane, go on it. It will change your life completely if it works.

Oh, thanks. And yeah I am going on it. I'm starting next Friday! Yeah!

Hey :D

I think it has more to do with how you see yourself now to how you used to see yourself and were seen by others.

For example, though I don't harp on about it because I know my skin is definitely not the worst I've seen, to have gone from ok skin to painful mild/moderate cystic acne within the space of five months, it really killed my self esteem and how I saw myself. I was so used to being a certain way: though not completely clear, still really confident and happy. Then BAM! That changed suddenly and the change was so drastic by my normal standards that I sunk into this major shame spiral, stayed home most of the time and put on like 4kgs.

Although I know I should be grateful for not having it worse, my acne still made me feel the need to hide in the dark like Quasimodo..... Good luck with the 'tane ;)

Hey :D

I think it has more to do with how you see yourself now to how you used to see yourself and were seen by others.

For example, though I don't harp on about it because I know my skin is definitely not the worst I've seen, to have gone from ok skin to painful mild/moderate cystic acne within the space of five months, it really killed my self esteem and how I saw myself. I was so used to being a certain way: though not completely clear, still really confident and happy. Then BAM! That changed suddenly and the change was so drastic by my normal standards that I sunk into this major shame spiral, stayed home most of the time and put on like 4kgs.

Although I know I should be grateful for not having it worse, my acne still made me feel the need to hide in the dark like Quasimodo..... Good luck with the 'tane ;)

Thanks! And I have thought about that too. I guess it's relative to each individual person.

Okay, so maybe I am wrong in my thinking, But as someone who has had severe cystic acne (with no breaks-just constantly gets worse) for half of my life, it really bothers me when I read about so many people going on accutane who really have a mild case of zits.

I will read a new post about how horrible their acne is and how ugly they are. (I'm thinking oh someone like me who understands!) Then they post a picture and I'm like whatever! I would do anything to have my acne that mild! I literally have painful cysts all over my checks, chin and down my neck.

nothing is more annoying than having somebody with like, two zits on their face, whine about how much they're breaking out! there are definitely people on here (and i'm including myself on this one) who don't have acne all that bad. BUT, my breakouts come in waves. i can have really clear skin for like half a year and then, cause of PCOS, get all these cysts on my jawline.

it's just a matter of self confidence. no one wants to deal with acne and if they've done everything possible and they still have acne, even if its not a lot, AND their dermatologist agrees its whats best, i don't have a problem with it.

i'm so sad to read the stories of people who have to struggle with severe cystic acne. i can only imagine how painful it can be. people want to be recognized for their good deeds, their kindness, their qualities, not their face.

anyway, those are my thoughts! i know you start accutane soon, i'm really excited for you! i hope it helps change your life in a positive way!

nothing is more annoying than having somebody with like, two zits on their face, whine about how much they're breaking out! there are definitely people on here (and i'm including myself on this one) who don't have acne all that bad. BUT, my breakouts come in waves. i can have really clear skin for like half a year and then, cause of PCOS, get all these cysts on my jawline.

it's just a matter of self confidence. no one wants to deal with acne and if they've done everything possible and they still have acne, even if its not a lot, AND their dermatologist agrees its whats best, i don't have a problem with it.

i'm so sad to read the stories of people who have to struggle with severe cystic acne. i can only imagine how painful it can be. people want to be recognized for their good deeds, their kindness, their qualities, not their face.

anyway, those are my thoughts! i know you start accutane soon, i'm really excited for you! i hope it helps change your life in a positive way!

Ah thanks, your sweet! Yeah, I really love it it when someone like my sister is complaining about her one zit in front of of me and I'm just like, "Really-Seriously?!"lol! :) Yeah, I suppose it's not how bad others feel about your face, but how you feel about it.

And, thanks, I just can't wait to get my confidence back enough to be able to go for a long run! Sigh....I wish you the best with your course too! ;)

And, thanks, I just can't wait to get my confidence back enough to be able to go for a long run! Sigh....I wish you the best with your course too! ;)

Yeah, I can't wait to be able to go back to the gym more regularly. I hate wearing makeup when I work out, but I have to because I need to cover up my very many acne marks/redness. And I can't wait to be able to ride my motorbike somewhere without having to bring makeup with me too. It's such a pain to have to reapply my makeup after my helmet's rubbed it all off!

Yeah, we're in the same boat. I was able to put a little make-up on to cover my acne at first, but then it got worse to the point where I couldn't even do that. So then I was like well screw the gym, I'll just go on my long runs outside with no make-up, (which is way more comfortable!) a hat and sunglasses so no one will see me. That lasted for like another 2 months and then my acne got so bad, I couldn't even do that, considering it's a little hard to hide my checks and chin!

That's is how you know it's time for tane, when you can't even be who you are!

why hello there, I'm sorry to read that you cystic acne is really bad. Oh I know what you mean about people who complain about having a pimple or two as well, I just mentioned that in my blog earlier. When I tell my friend who always complain about a single pimple that my red marks and scars are worse than yours, she says "No, my face is horrible. Your marks just look like freckles." Then I think to myself are you frigging kidding me? I won't say my acne is bad atm, just a few minor bumps here and there now thanks to accutane. It really helped cleared up my skin a bit for the month that I've been on it. Yea I just started. it's just these red marks that are bugging me.

Oh well who am I to judge how someone sees their skin? What I see and someone else sees when they look in the mirror may be two completely different things.

Anyway, keep your head up and try to be positive although sometimes you can't no matter how hard you try. I wish you best of luck when you start your accutane course :D

I also know that there is always someone out there with worse acne than mine and that does humble me. With that said, I know for certain that mine is severe. I suppose, I find it hard to read them saying how ugly they are and then see a picture with a few pimples. It makes someone like me (who's face is all inflamed) feel like crap!

Who knows, maybe this is just me, but I am curious to get other peoples take on this.

Oh man do I totally agree. Just the other day my younger sister who has perfect skin. Complained constantly about a single zit on her face. I didn't say anything but really, really wanted to give her a backhand of wisdom!

Accutane isn't just for people with severe acne, it's for people with persistant acne. It's hard enough to get the drug as it is, so when people (who could just as easily use proactiv) who have a few spots at 17 years old get it prescribed, THAT annoys me because they are just abusing the system & a drug ment for others.

I had what I would call moderate acne on face/body, with painful cysts in jaw line/cheeks & on my neck/scalp. I was sooooooooooo happy to get Accutane as I was afraid my acne had to be even worse than it was.

Anyway, I haven't had a cyst since my first course like 5 years ago, so tane did its job! :dance:

I'm on it now as a maintenance dose to keep up the level of perfection accutane has shown I can have ;)

I would definitely recommend accutane I took it two years ago for my severe acne all over my face, back and chest. It cleared me up completely but i was left with bad red marks and scars that are still there to this day. I am still really really insecure about my skin but adding bad active acne to the mix i would be a lot worse off. I definitely suggest it in order to avoid scars like mine. You should make a log of your progress id be more than happy to give you any tips i know as i ws on an 8 month course and know a fair bit of what to expect. Best of luck.

I would definitely recommend accutane I took it two years ago for my severe acne all over my face, back and chest. It cleared me up completely but i was left with bad red marks and scars that are still there to this day. I am still really really insecure about my skin but adding bad active acne to the mix i would be a lot worse off. I definitely suggest it in order to avoid scars like mine. You should make a log of your progress id be more than happy to give you any tips i know as i ws on an 8 month course and know a fair bit of what to expect. Best of luck.

I know you just joined yesterday but really, you could read the original post at the very least. :rolleyes:

Also, just because you have been on accutane does not make you know 'a fair bit on what to expect'.

Edited by Beauty Bot

dont alter with your body, accutane is only temporary do some research, the oil will get back to normal after a while of stoppage. speak to your body, understand it, not everything works for everyone just as not everybody works the same.

dont alter with your body, accutane is only temporary do some research, the oil will get back to normal after a while of stoppage. speak to your body, understand it, not everything works for everyone just as not everybody works the same.

You are right that it doesn't work the same for everybody. You are wrong when you said its only temporary. Many, many people have been on Accutane and haven't seen acne in over 10+ years, while others may not be that lucky.

It looks like you know nothing about Accutane. Especially when you believe that we shouldn't "alter" our bodies. If you believe in that, then why the hell are you on Accutane forums?

Hey,

I know how you feel. The summer when I was 15 i started breaking out worse than anybody ive ever known. Both of my cheeks and my jawline were covered in cysts and giant white heads. I also had horrible acne on the back of my shoulders and upper arms. I was stupid and made it ten times worse by picking at them. My acne wasnt as bad as many people on this site, but it was severe.

Luckily at the end of that summer I got to start accutane. Accutane saved my skin, and ive enjoyed mostly clear skin for almost two years now.

When I look at pictures from that summer when my skin got so bad, I feel so thankful for accutane. its amazing the difference in my self confidence that accutane gave me.

I really hope your skin clears with accutane! everyone deserves clear skin

:)

Oh man do I totally agree. Just the other day my younger sister who has perfect skin. Complained constantly about a single zit on her face. I didn't say anything but really, really wanted to give her a backhand of wisdom!

Yup, my older sister did the same thing and then looked at me and went (while laughing) oh oops sorry. Errrrr! I so hated her at that moment.

Accutane isn't just for people with severe acne, it's for people with persistant acne. It's hard enough to get the drug as it is, so when people (who could just as easily use proactiv) who have a few spots at 17 years old get it prescribed, THAT annoys me because they are just abusing the system & a drug ment for others.

I had what I would call moderate acne on face/body, with painful cysts in jaw line/cheeks & on my neck/scalp. I was sooooooooooo happy to get Accutane as I was afraid my acne had to be even worse than it was.

Anyway, I haven't had a cyst since my first course like 5 years ago, so tane did its job! :dance:

I'm on it now as a maintenance dose to keep up the level of perfection accutane has shown I can have ;)

Yes, your right. It's for severe, persistent & cystic. It really sounds like you had it bad enough to go on accutane. And it seems like you agree with me in how utterly annoying and upsetting it can be when someone with two zits go on it! Good Luck with your maintenance course!

Thanks! I did start a log. Feel free to browse it and give me any tips you can think of!

Thanks for your concern, but I am not new to accutane and have done plenty of reserch over the years. I am on my 3rd course so I'm well aware that it's not permanent for everyone. I did (and do) listen to my body, but something need to be fixed with medicine. My quality of life is also important to me.

Hey,

I know how you feel. The summer when I was 15 i started breaking out worse than anybody ive ever known. Both of my cheeks and my jawline were covered in cysts and giant white heads. I also had horrible acne on the back of my shoulders and upper arms. I was stupid and made it ten times worse by picking at them. My acne wasnt as bad as many people on this site, but it was severe.

Luckily at the end of that summer I got to start accutane. Accutane saved my skin, and ive enjoyed mostly clear skin for almost two years now.

When I look at pictures from that summer when my skin got so bad, I feel so thankful for accutane. its amazing the difference in my self confidence that accutane gave me.

I really hope your skin clears with accutane! everyone deserves clear skin

:)

Ahhh, thanks! That was a sweet post. I'm glad accutane worked for you and I'm really happy that for the most part you are still clear almost two years later! Good Luck! ;)

Guest Timehealsall

i get what you are saying.

I hate people who complain about a zit here and there as if their faces are permanently ruined...

I think the main factor when it comes down to it is the person scars from their acne. If you have mild to mod acne, but you scar, than thats a problem even you dont have severe acne

what do you think?