Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kopp00

Cheap supplements vs expensive supplements?

I've always bought my vitamin supplements from Holland and Barret which isn't the cheapest store around. If I buy them cheaper from a pharmacy store or a supermarket (like Boots, Superdrug, ASDA), will they still have the same effect and work the same? Are the higher priced ones more effective?

I've always bought my vitamin supplements from Holland and Barret which isn't the cheapest store around. If I buy them cheaper from a pharmacy store or a supermarket (like Boots, Superdrug, ASDA), will they still have the same effect and work the same? Are the higher priced ones more effective?

I always wonder the same thing! I take such a lot of supplements and buy from Holland and Barrett (usually stock up when there is a good deal on - currently buy one get one half price)

BUT they are SO much cheaper online and in ASDA. For supplements like vitamin E and Evening Primrose Oil etc, the capsules are a lot darker from H and B which makes me think they are purer and better quality... But what do I know?

Will follow this thread to see what everyone else says...

The difference should be measured by how well it absorbs, not price. It's about in what format the vitamins are(ex:Is it a easily digestible format or a cheaper harder one?). Also the pills need to be made to not loose their vitamins over a period of time...when exposed to light or air temperature. You can buy cheaper supplements over costly supplements...but never go for the absolutely cheap vitamins that nobody can trust. I personally prefer higher cost ones over a cheaper version(I feel they work better). Having a good diet is key too! Many vitamin deficiencies can be solved that way.

When it comes down to it supplements are really complete bogus. If they do help your health at all, it is about 1-3%. I was that person who used to take 10-15 pills everyday, and then learned. All those pills are most likely doing you more harm then good, with all the other crap in them, as they aren't regulated at all. If you want to blow money on them, it is best to get the best brands, as everything you get what you pay for.

Whenever taking any supplements, your messing with your own body's chemistry. When ya take one thing in most cases it lowers another, and it's a never ending battle. The best thing to do is get everything through diet, let your body balance itself out.

All supplements are the same unless they contain different "inactive" ingredients.

I've seen plenty of Vitamin C pills with corn starch in them. I see plenty of joint health supplements with soy and dairy in them which is kind of ironic.

There's one company I trust above all. Swanson Vitamins.

I prefer Swanson Vitamins because you can actually talk to one of their reps and ask about what's in the supplement and they'll check it for you. Not to mention, Swanson has very clear outlined ingredients that actually tell you whether or not they contain things like soy, gluten, dairy, shellfish, corn, etc. in them. Not to mention, they have great prices and excellent customer service.

One time there was a small shipping error and I received someone else's order somehow but after emailing them they sent me double of what I ordered just to make up for the inconvenience. That was awful nice of them, wouldn't you say? They could have just said "whoops" and sent me my order but they went out of their way to right a very small wrong. I'm sure if I looked hard enough, I could find a cheaper brand but frankly I'd rather pay a bit extra and know that I'm getting good quality supplements and a brand that I can trust.

Edited by chunkylard