Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pegz

Eating bread after chocolate

Anyone find that eating bread (preferably good brown bread) after chocolate helps keep the zits away?

For me, eating dark chocolate (or if I just eat a lot of plain milk chocolate) will almost always result in a couple of new pimples the following day. In the past this seems to have worked for me, that is, eating a slice of plain bread at the end of the day or right after consuming a lot of chocolate. Why does this help? Fiber cleans out your system basically, fiber rich foods are often used in detox and cleansing diets.

If you need the occasional chocolate hit I suggest you give this a try and let us know if it worked for you or not. ;)

BTW, you can toast the bread and have something on it, though it is probably best if you have it close to plain.

P.S. This can also work for very greasy or fried food, may well work for anything you've eaten. Just eat a slice of plain brown bread before bed and it should help lessen the impact on your skin of any bad food you've eaten the day before.

Edited by pegz

You are going to get bitched out by those who are strict about "bad for acne" foods for mentioning bread.

But anyways. I don't actually break out from chocolate, so I've never tried this. Greasy foods also don't pose a problem for me. I can eat a bucket of bad food for every meal and not have any issues the next day (other than likely digestive).

Chocolate is worse for acne than any bread could ever dream of being. This post was more for those people that eat a somewhat normal or balanced diet, i.e., not someone who is at the point where they're eating nothing but rabbit food because they're so obsessed with their skin.

And yeah I'm like you, aside from chocolate most foods don't bother me.

You are going to get bitched out by those who are strict about "bad for acne" foods for mentioning bread.

But anyways. I don't actually break out from chocolate, so I've never tried this. Greasy foods also don't pose a problem for me. I can eat a bucket of bad food for every meal and not have any issues the next day (other than likely digestive).

Chocolate is worse for acne than any bread could ever dream of being. This post was more for those people that eat a somewhat normal or balanced diet, i.e., not someone who is at the point where they're eating nothing but rabbit food because they're so obsessed with their skin.

Your theory very little sense.

What's in chocolate that causes acne? Not much, unless you're buying bad chocolate that has dairy and excess sugar in it. Thankfully there's plenty of good choices when it comes to chocolate. Even in your run of the mill American grocery, you'll be able to find 80-100% dark chocolate. Phytates/lectin content is also diminished substantially through the processing method of cacao beans. Not to mention chocolate has many health benefits due to its Catechin antioxidant content.

What's in bread that causes acne?

Sugar is often a common ingredient in many store-bought breads, gluten (horrid for acne, one of the worst triggers out there), high GL load overall/crappy fiber. Most of the phytic acid/lectin is retained. Unless you're strictly eating sourdough, and even then sourdough is more of a treat to have once in a while rather than a staple of your diet, I'd expect a negative impact on your skin.

Not only does chocolate taste better than bread, it's better for you too.

Edited by chunkylard

I've always found pure cacao to be great for my skin, it's one of the highest anti-oxidant foods in the world. As for milk chocolate and bread..well..lucky you haha.

You live in Melbourne. Again, lucky :D

What's in chocolate that causes acne? Not much, unless you're buying bad chocolate that has dairy and excess sugar in it. Thankfully there's plenty of good choices when it comes to chocolate. Even in your run of the mill American grocery, you'll be able to find 80-100% dark chocolate. Phytates/lectin content is also diminished substantially through the processing method of cacao beans. Not to mention chocolate has many health benefits due to its Catechin antioxidant content.

Sugar is often a common ingredient in many store-bought breads, gluten (horrid for acne, one of the worst triggers out there), high GL load overall/crappy fiber. Most of the phytic acid/lectin is retained. Unless you're strictly eating sourdough, and even then sourdough is more of a treat to have once in a while rather than a staple of your diet, I'd expect a negative impact on your skin.

In the real world your average chocolate bar will likely contribute more to zits than a slice of brown bread, for the sugar content alone. Your typical acne sufferer doesn't scrutinize every single ingredient of the sweets they're about to consume, every now and then they probably will eat something that may cause them to flare up. This post is more for those people.

And yeah dark chocolate is a great source of anti-oxidants, I'm not suggesting that people don't eat it.

I agree with that its the terrible stuff they put in chocolate that breaks people out and not the chocolate itself. If you crave chocolate try to go for a high percentage of dark chocolate.