Notifications
Clear all

I worry that my child will grow up to have acne

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 06/23/2011 8:15 pm

OK Im posting in the "emotional Forum."..guess Im feeling pensive.

I know what its like to have acne (not fun to say the least)...my husband has had acne too, mostly as a teen his has been gone for years.

I cannot help myself from worrying that my beautiful, happy child who is only five now, will develop acne as teen/ young adult.

I know I shouldnt obsess over this but its almost as if I feel guilty like will be MY fault for passing on MY genetics. Anyone else feel like this?

I guess I should just not worry about it and enjoy him cause they grow up fast.

Chances are in 15 years acne treatements will be much better anyway.

I just worry that my son will go through what Iwent through-- what we all on here have known :-(

MemberMember
(@helena870)

Posted : 06/23/2011 8:20 pm

I dont even have a kid and i have even pondered that lol. most likely your kid will have acne but isnt great that they will have a mom who understands what its like and you could start your kid on regimen before the acne comes or just when it appears that way, with your knowledge and regimen, you can save your kid from most of the frustration and they if they do start a regimen early there acne probably wont be as bad as yours was:)

MemberMember
(@gutterflower)

Posted : 06/23/2011 8:54 pm

I know what its like to have acne (not fun to say the least)...my husband has had acne too, mostly as a teen his has been gone for years.

I cannot help myself from worrying that my beautiful, happy child who is only five now, will develop acne as teen/ young adult.

I know I shouldnt obsess over this but its almost as if I feel guilty like will be MY fault for passing on MY genetics. Anyone else feel like this?

I just worry that my son will go through what Iwent through-- what we all on here have known :-(

Don't worry too much yet... I'm the only one of my siblings to have acne, the rest of them have perfect skin.

They might even have a cure for it by then. ;)

MemberMember
(@paulh85)

Posted : 06/24/2011 3:08 am

It's not a given that you could pass it on. Nobody in my family seems to even get a single pimple, yet I've had acne for 13 years. I don't think it has to come from somewhere, so equally, there's every chance it might not affect your children.

If it did happen, we all know it's not the worst thing that could happen. Plus, you know what it's all about so you would be able to educate them and show them how best to deal with it and minimise it, with regards to diet and so on, just as you deal with your own skin. :)

MemberMember
(@aybro)

Posted : 06/24/2011 3:19 am

That is a scary thought. Feed him well. Listen to him. Don't stress him out. Live a good life. Let him make decisions. Once you begin to notice skin that is bad, take him to a doctor. That way you can get in under control before it takes over his life.

MemberMember
(@forksandspoons2670)

Posted : 06/24/2011 5:53 am

Everyone in my family had acne, from my siblings, to parents, to grandparents. If I am fortunate enough to have kids, they will get acne. I will take them to a derm as soon as they get their first zit.

MemberMember
(@abigailwheeler)

Posted : 06/24/2011 5:56 am

In my family, I am identical to my mum. My brother and sister are clones of my dad.

My mum had acne, my dad didn't.

I have acne, my bro and sister don't.

So yeah, clearly it is genetic to an extent and I definitely worry about passing this to my kids.

(my Dad's legs are totally bald and smooth - I am really crossing my legs for that gene!)

MemberMember
(@greeneyes33)

Posted : 06/24/2011 6:13 am

I worry about that too. It IS hard to go through for kids. These are my thoughts on it, and I hope they can help anyone reading it:

If you're parents had acne, they suffered through it. They maybe tried different spot treatments, most that probably didn't work well. Then they eventually grew out of it (or maybe they didn't!) When you started breaking out as a teenager, they had no real help or advice to offer you.

But YOU are on acne.org, you are learning all that you can about acne. For me personally, I am finally at 25 years taking control of my acne and my life through diet and lifestyle. Not only for acne, but for health. I understand a lot more about acne than my parents ever did, and I've done something they never could...I've learned how to control it, rather then just wait until my 30's or 40's and grow out of it.

I think of all the advice and tips I can offer my kids! Better still, I can teach them about a healthy diet and lifestyle from birth on so that their bodies will be in better shape than mine ever has. Sure, they might still breakout around puberty while their hormones are settling down, but I have faith that it wont be nearly as bad as what I had to go through, and I know that if they follow my advice at all they definitely wont have acne into their 20's. Maybe they wont even breakout hardly at all because their bodies are so much healthier than mine? Who knows!

It may be your genes that pass acne along, but if you can give your kid advice that actually works then you are far ahead of what your parents were able to offer you! :) I feel like my parents gave me an empty toolbelt when it came to dealing with acne, but I am passing along a toolbelt filled with the right tools for the job to my kids.

And thats the end of my cheesy thoughts for the day :P

MemberMember
(@lady_c)

Posted : 06/24/2011 7:41 am

I agree with the other posters, if our children do develop acne fortunately we will be equipped with the knowledge to guide them through it.

I'd love to have children when that special guy comes along, unfortunately acne is genetic for me. My mom has had it and still gets pimples not acne mind you and my brother had teenage acne, now as an adult he is flawless. My acne is similiar to my mother's in a sense but that won't stop me from procreating in the foreseeable future as I have the empathy to help support my child/children. Acne shouldn't deter us from having children.......

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 06/24/2011 1:23 pm

I dont even have a kid and i have even pondered that lol. most likely your kid will have acne but isnt great that they will have a mom who understands what its like and you could start your kid on regimen before the acne comes or just when it appears that way, with your knowledge and regimen, you can save your kid from most of the frustration and they if they do start a regimen early there acne probably wont be as bad as yours was:)

thanks.

and btw Im sure your acne isnt THAT bad(bag over head) it is kinda cute in the pic though :-)

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 06/24/2011 1:24 pm

In my family, I am identical to my mum. My brother and sister are clones of my dad.

My mum had acne, my dad didn't.

I have acne, my bro and sister don't.

So yeah, clearly it is genetic to an extent and I definitely worry about passing this to my kids.

(my Dad's legs are totally bald and smooth - I am really crossing my legs for that gene!)

lol yeah never having to shave your legs now that would be a gene worth inheriting (you have a cool sense of humor)

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 06/24/2011 3:19 pm

Acne I believe will make a breakthrough with treatment in the next 15 years.

I wonder if for instance, you have acne, but your partner does not.

What would be the outcome of your child's skin condition?

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 06/24/2011 9:22 pm

50-50 chance Id guess.

btw you seem so nice Nostradamus...not at all the prophet of doom as youve so much been pegged 😀

MemberMember
(@just-last-the-year)

Posted : 06/24/2011 10:18 pm

At least if your child does get acne, you will know how to deal with it and be able to teach good habits! :) Unfortunately, my parents were clueless with mine and got advice from others... probably made me worse off in the long run, lol.

MemberMember
(@rubberduck)

Posted : 06/25/2011 3:50 am

It's not in your control so why worry about it?

MemberMember
(@brinkwalker)

Posted : 06/25/2011 9:05 am

This subject has been something of an obsession with me for many years now. I have a daughter whom I love more than my own life. However, she was an "accident." At the point in life when my acne was at its worst, I vowed that I would not inflict this on another human being.

After she was born, I prayed and "bargained with God" for her to have clear skin. He must have been listening because so far, she's got good skin. I'm so glad she does, because how could I truly be supportive for her when I still don't have a handle on this cursed disease myself?

The darker side of this is that over the years, I have developed what I can only call an unnatural hatred for my late dad for passing this curse on to me. Anything that fucks with the human psyche the way this disease does can end up causing convoluted (pathological?) thinking like this.

MemberMember
(@philopian-tube)

Posted : 06/25/2011 6:54 pm

50-50 chance Id guess.

btw you seem so nice Nostradamus...not at all the prophet of doom as youve so much been pegged 😀

:D

MemberMember
(@cocobo)

Posted : 06/25/2011 10:37 pm

The best treatment is prevention... if that makes any sense.

All tips to living a generally healthy life apply to acne. Don't let them eat a ton of junk.. Eat lots of veggies and fruits with limited meats and carbs. Drink plenty of water and limit sugary drinks like soda and juice. Exercise. Helping your kid to be a happy and healthy child and teaching them well will lead to an adult that someday their spouse will look at you and say, "Wow, you raised an amazing child." That's what I say to my mother-in-law anyway.. :)

And it helps prevent acne, too! Keep in mind hormones are uncontrollable in pre-teens, teens, etc.

Above all educate your child. If they understand where acne comes from, why it happens, and what can be done to prevent it, they will be so much better off.

MemberMember
(@5ive)

Posted : 06/26/2011 9:00 am

I think it's so beautiful that you care so much about your child and their happiness. My Dad had acne growing up and so did my Mom. And they almost ignored my skin condition except taking me to the doctor to go on acne meds. As a sufferer who has gone through an emotional battle with it, I think the best thing you can do for your child is provide support and help them through it if they do end up getting the condition. So I guess there's really no need to worry because you probably have the tools necessary to really help him out when he's older.

MemberMember
(@roisin75)

Posted : 06/26/2011 2:05 pm

I have two beautiful, confident children and I worry about this all the time. I only got acne 2.5 years ago (I am 35). Until then I was oblivious to the whole issue of acne - I didn't notice it on other people at all. I remember a co-worker talking about how upset her acne made her and it barely registered with me. I took my looks for granted. On my wedding day, my makeup artist raved about how my skin was the best she had ever seen. Now, after 2.5 years of acne I understand the torment it can cause. This has been the darkest time of my life and I am terrified that my children might have to go through this. It is extremely likely that they will, considering that my husband also suffered from acne and facial excema in his teens.

If I can get through this and get clear, I am going to write every damn detail down in a notebook and keep it. What worked, what didn't, how long it took. I am going to be prepared for it.

MemberMember
(@charlie700)

Posted : 06/26/2011 10:43 pm

To me, perfect skin, perfect looks, or even genius isn't the best thing you can pass down to your children. The best thing is confidence in their self-worth, confidence in their own ability, and compassion for others.

If you can do that, your children will be happy no matter what life throws at them. Even if you could spare them acne, you can't spare them from other losses and suffering. Those three things will help them to deal with anything that comes their way. Fuhgeddabout acne.

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 06/28/2011 7:29 pm

I think it's so beautiful that you care so much about your child and their happiness. My Dad had acne growing up and so did my Mom. And they almost ignored my skin condition except taking me to the doctor to go on acne meds. As a sufferer who has gone through an emotional battle with it, I think the best thing you can do for your child is provide support and help them through it if they do end up getting the condition. So I guess there's really no need to worry because you probably have the tools necessary to really help him out when he's older.

thanks 😀

MemberMember
(@amarag)

Posted : 06/28/2011 7:31 pm

To me, perfect skin, perfect looks, or even genius isn't the best thing you can pass down to your children. The best thing is confidence in their self-worth, confidence in their own ability, and compassion for others.

If you can do that, your children will be happy no matter what life throws at them. Even if you could spare them acne, you can't spare them from other losses and suffering. Those three things will help them to deal with anything that comes their way. Fuhgeddabout acne.

I like your attitude Charlie wish I could be so carefree. Ill try 😀

MemberMember
(@helena870)

Posted : 06/28/2011 7:37 pm

thanks.

and btw Im sure your acne isnt THAT bad(bag over head) it is kinda cute in the pic though :-)

:)

MemberMember
(@angel893)

Posted : 11/03/2020 11:36 am

I am expecting a second child and am worried that my bad skin will be inherited. The dermatologist advised from a young age to monitor the child's nutrition, and provide him with all the necessary vitamins, limiting harmful substances. Fortunately, I recently found baby milk [Edited link out] I have read the contents of the product, and I am sure that this milk will help my baby grow up beautiful and healthy.