Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tmiko

I am finally starting accutane (with pictures)

Day 21:

I am definitely experiencing some back pain and some pain in my shin lately, which I am sure is from the accutane. I also have the usual dry lips and skin and the peeling.

Day 20:

Today was normal: dry lips, super dry skin (I had to moisturize it 3 times). I wasn't expecting to get this dried out, I was expecting the peeling though. It's really not that big of a deal though. Hopefully it continues to improve. Oh, and I am experiencing minimal back pain. It isn't really back pain, more like back soreness. After I lift something I will feel it in my back (I'm not the most muscular guy, but I'm not scrawny either), and after being up and around for awhile and then I lay down I will feel it when I lay down.

Today's photo:

http://flic.kr/p/a1S6eY

o

Yes the back pain has been kicking in for me as well, its really irritating more than painful!

Yeah I agree. My shin is starting to hurt this morning which is super duper annoying as well.

Back pain only comes when lifting heavy objects but it gets better, and in my case its only my left knee that really hurts after a while

Day 22:

My 1 month checkup is on day 30, and assuming that my blood test will take a couple days to process, I didn't want to go without accutane for that time. I decided not to take a pill so I can last a little bit longer. I still got dry lips and dry skin, and my right knee and shin were randomly hurting, oh and the normal back pain.

Day 23:

I am camping up north right now and I am on att's edge so my connection sucks and I can't upload my pictures. I am still going to keep my logs up though. I've had all the usual stuff today: dry lips, dry skin, back pain, and my shin was hurting. Moreover, my skin has this wierd feeling to it. I think it is from the humidity and camping right now.

well fasting makes the results better, such as ur chlosterol and your trigliceride levels, thats wat my derm told me

Fasting is done during treatment 12 hours before your tests so that one meal does not affect your triglyceride levels, tests are more realistic and therefore you have less a chance to have and stop your treatment, one little granola bar can change your results because you blood can levels can change every hour, so prior to your blood test drink nothing but water and eat nothing so you have the levels your sopoused to :) !

Sorry I haven't updated this in forever. I went on vacation last week, and I had one month appointment with m dermatologist this past monday so I was planning on making a new video as soon as I got my prescription but they haven't called it in yet. Basically, there isn't too much to update you guys on. I have really dry skin everywhere. I went to the beach everyday on my vacation and I got a little red and now I am tan but my skin is a little more sensitive. I noticed I have been pretty itchy lately and I still getting the back pain. The last day I took a pill was 2 days ago. I don't have any more and my derm hasn't called it in yet. I am kind of mad. On the other hand, she increased my dosage to two 30 mg pills a day. I don't have any pictures because I sold my old camera and waiting for my new one to arrive either tomorrow or monday. So expect a video sometime next week :)

It has been 8 days since my 1 month derm appt, and 6 days since I have taken a pill. I am still waiting for my dermatologist to call me and let me know that she called in my prescription. My dad is supposed to call them today and and figure out what is going on because they weren't very helpful when I called on friday. I am getting really annoyed because I can tell the accutane is starting to wear off already. I am breaking out badly again and only had to use my aquaphor once today. I took some pictures so you guys can see where I am at right now.

Pictures from today: http://gallery.me.com/timothymiko#100040

Hang in there man- hope u get ure refill soon, ive been on my second month for about 2 weeks nd im starting to break out, thou i expectes it since my dose was raised to 80 mg... Good luck!

Hang in there man- hope u get ure refill soon, ive been on my second month for about 2 weeks nd im starting to break out, thou i expectes it since my dose was raised to 80 mg... Good luck!

I am hoping I don't break out more :/ my dosage got bumped up too. I am finally getting my pills as soon as my Dad picks them up from the pharmacy on his way home :) Best of luck to you! Hopefully you have a great 3rd month to clear everything up.

I just got my prescription and I am actually on 80 mg a day now, that is two 40 mg pills a day. My derm said I can take one at night and one in the morning or both at the same time as long as I don't get stomach pain from it.

Hey dude! I think its a great idea to record your progress on youtube. I was on Roaccutane (same as Accutane) for 1 year. My derm gave me a low dosage (60mg/week) as my acne was a light-moderate one and he said he had had better results with patients on low dosage.

I saw improvement on my skin after the 4th month really (maybe because I had a low dosage) and obviously my skin got really dry. My advice for you is to be PATIENT and cautios with this drug. It takes a while before it actually starts making effect, and even after you quit it takes about 5-6 months for your skin to fully recover. It is a very strong drug and its side effects are really serious!

Tips:

• Avoid alcoholic drink when possible
  • Always take your pills with a meal
  • Use a non.comedogenic sun protector (skin gets sensitive to the sun)
  • Washing your face twice a day is vital
  • Never touch your face
  • Stay away from the mirror
  • and last but not least watch out for the side effects!!!

The treatment will be more effective if you keep your face clean and protected from the sun DAY AFTER DAY! Also, as I said before, side effects are no joke! I stopped taking my pills after a year because I was losing hair. Finally, it's important to avoid alcohol or at least reducing the number of drinks you have. This drug is gonna be killing your liver slowly, you might feel fine today and even when you finish the treatment but you may have problems with your liver in the long term.

I hope my advice was useful.

Good luck!

Guest Timehealsall

hey man, did you suffer any scarring from tane?

Guest Timehealsall

hey so i just looked at your pics again, and you have some indents on your forehead. (center)

tell us if they fill in over time!

hey so i just looked at your pics again, and you have some indents on your forehead. (center)

tell us if they fill in over time!

funny story about those. i am pretty sure you are talking about my scar on my forehead. its from when i was a little kid. i was in my camper and fell out of my bed and hit my forehead and had to get stitches/staples there, i don't remember :D

hey man, did you suffer any scarring from tane?

so far i have not.

Hey dude! I think its a great idea to record your progress on youtube. I was on Roaccutane (same as Accutane) for 1 year. My derm gave me a low dosage (60mg/week) as my acne was a light-moderate one and he said he had had better results with patients on low dosage.

I saw improvement on my skin after the 4th month really (maybe because I had a low dosage) and obviously my skin got really dry. My advice for you is to be PATIENT and cautios with this drug. It takes a while before it actually starts making effect, and even after you quit it takes about 5-6 months for your skin to fully recover. It is a very strong drug and its side effects are really serious!

Tips:

• Never touch your face

The treatment will be more effective if you keep your face clean and protected from the sun DAY AFTER DAY! Also, as I said before, side effects are no joke! I stopped taking my pills after a year because I was losing hair. Finally, it's important to avoid alcohol or at least reducing the number of drinks you have. This drug is gonna be killing your liver slowly, you might feel fine today and even when you finish the treatment but you may have problems with your liver in the long term.

Good luck!

I am curious the differences between low dosage/long term and medium dosage/medium term. I would rather get rid of my acne first and then if I relapse go on a low dosage/long term treatment. Haha your tips are very helpful. I have avoided all alcohol (I don't drink); I always take my pills with a large glass of water at a meal (high in good fats when possible); I am good about putting sun screen and moisturizer on; I haven't been washing my face though, I wasn't sure if I should be; and it is hard to stay away from the mirror haha.

Thank you so much for the tips and suggestions. I am definitely going to keep them in mind.

Tips:

• Never touch your face

Good luck!

I am curious the differences between low dosage/long term and medium dosage/medium term. I would rather get rid of my acne first and then if I relapse go on a low dosage/long term treatment. Haha your tips are very helpful. I have avoided all alcohol (I don't drink); I always take my pills with a large glass of water at a meal (high in good fats when possible); I am good about putting sun screen and moisturizer on; I haven't been washing my face though, I wasn't sure if I should be; and it is hard to stay away from the mirror haha.

Thank you so much for the tips and suggestions. I am definitely going to keep them in mind.

I finally found your Accutane posts! When i wasnt a member i always read ur posts. Then i forgot ur user name i knew it was tim something your name. But now I am a member! Hey i have a question but u may have already answered this. But on accutane do use a cleanser, ok i think you do but have u ever tried Dans regimen on accutane. Sorry if u already answered this. Sorry for bad grammer on me ill write better from now on.

I finally found your Accutane posts! When i wasnt a member i always read ur posts. Then i forgot ur user name i knew it was tim something your name. But now I am a member! Hey i have a question but u may have already answered this. But on accutane do use a cleanser, ok i think you do but have u ever tried Dans regimen on accutane. Sorry if u already answered this. Sorry for bad grammer on me ill write better from now on.

I am glad you've found my posts. for the past month i have not washed my face at all. I would just rinse it off in the shower with water but that was it. I think I am going to get a gentle neutrogena wash (it's in a blue bottle), it is like a step down from the orange salicylic acid wash. i have not tried dan's regimen, but it is similar to what i am going to start doing. All I am going to be doing is washing with a gentle cleanser and then moisturizing and applying acanya gel (benz. perox. + clindamycin phosphate).

I am glad you've found my posts. for the past month i have not washed my face at all. I would just rinse it off in the shower with water but that was it. I think I am going to get a gentle neutrogena wash (it's in a blue bottle), it is like a step down from the orange salicylic acid wash. i have not tried dan's regimen, but it is similar to what i am going to start doing. All I am going to be doing is washing with a gentle cleanser and then moisturizing and applying acanya gel (benz. perox. + clindamycin phosphate).

I am very glad to hear that. I hope you clear up soon. Dans's regimen dried all my forehead pimples, I can't even see them up close! just dry skin and wrinkly(the key is more moisturizer) Well I have to go back to school August 8th so ur lucky u dont go back as early lol. But now I am ready since i am finally started the Regimen. Now I can't wait!!!! :) My depression is going away and my stress is under control! :D Good Luck man! I thought about accutane, but since the regimen idk

Guest Timehealsall

dood, so you don't have ANY scarring? no shallow scars or anything like that?

wow man.. you have a lot of acne, yet none of it scarred? quite fortunate of you.

Hows your diet like... what have you used in the past and what do you currently use on your face?

Do you pop any of your pimples?

do your pimples heal faster whilst on tane?

thanks bro

dood, so you don't have ANY scarring? no shallow scars or anything like that?

wow man.. you have a lot of acne, yet none of it scarred? quite fortunate of you.

Hows your diet like... what have you used in the past and what do you currently use on your face?

Do you pop any of your pimples?

do your pimples heal faster whilst on tane?

thanks bro

i definitely have some shallow scarring but it is kind of hard to tell with all of the acne around it.

my diet is insane, i get made fun of because i am so healthy. i exercise daily; i try to only eat 100% natural, organic foods; only 100% whole wheat breads (no enriched flours); no pop; no alcohol; no chips/greasy foods; no fried foods; low consumption of beef; lots of water; no super sugary drinks...etc...etc. i am not super stringent on it, meaning i bend the rules on occasion or at a party or on vacation but other than that i am pretty good about it.

i listed some of it in my first video but here it is:

prednisone

sulfacetamide sodium 10% (topical)

acanya

benzaclin

tazorac 0.05% and 0.1%

finacea

azithromycin

ERY 2% pads (ERYTHROMYCIN)

minocycline

prascion cleanser 170.3gm

bactroban 2% cream 30gm

cephalexin 250mg

Neutrogena SkinID

Proactiv

DOING NOTHING

Cerave Moisturizer

Differin

Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash (Orange, salicylic acid wash)

General Benzoil Peroxide

Some all-natural thing (i don't remember the name, but it was just some sort of wash, spray on cleanser thingy and some moisturizer.)

i think that is everything i have tried. i went through all of my prescriptions and found all of that. i may be missing some random things that i bought from walgreens or kroger. but most of the stuff falls into three categories: oral treatment, benzoic peroxide, or retina-a. my routine for the longest time would be to take my pills (if i was taking any), wash my face with the neutrogena face wash twice a day and put on the benzoic peroxide. then about a year and a half ago i started using a moisturizer.

starting today, i am washing my face with the orange neutrogena face wash and applying acanya afterward, and then once the acanya dries on apply the crave moisturizer.

when i first got acne i was terrible and picked at my acne all the time; then my dad convinced me to stop, then i start again. so basically, when i get really annoyed with my acne i will pick at it all the time, but then i will come to my senses and stop for awhile. right now, i have not picked at it in awhile.

i have not really noticed any difference in how fast they heal. i would have to look more closely at my pictures to see.

any other questions? i will be happy to answer them.

I am very glad to hear that. I hope you clear up soon. Dans's regimen dried all my forehead pimples, I can't even see them up close! just dry skin and wrinkly(the key is more moisturizer) Well I have to go back to school August 8th so ur lucky u dont go back as early lol. But now I am ready since i am finally started the Regimen. Now I can't wait!!!! :) My depression is going away and my stress is under control! :D Good Luck man! I thought about accutane, but since the regimen idk

thanks, i hope i will clear up soon too. benzoic peroxide seems to work on my forehead but nowhere else. when i have been on acanya or benzaclin, my forehead has been spotless :) so i am starting up again with the face wash and acanya. i go back august 26th, which is a couple days before month 2 ends. so i am glad i am only going to be accutane for a couple months while in school. i convinced my dad to let me wait until my acne is gone to get my senior pictures done haha. my depression/stress has definitely gone down because of summer and accutane, but when i have no acne, i am going to feel like a new person lol. honestly, if the regimen is working, i would ask your/a derm about going on a low dosage of accutane (if you have mild acne?) because i made that mistake 3 years ago when i decided what i was using was kind of working so i didn't need accutane. i feel like accutane will get rid of the majority of it and if it comes back i can maintain it with my current face wash + acanya or go on another treatment. idk why but i am really pro-accutane haha. good luck with the regimen though!

thanks, i hope i will clear up soon too. benzoic peroxide seems to work on my forehead but nowhere else. when i have been on acanya or benzaclin, my forehead has been spotless :) so i am starting up again with the face wash and acanya. i go back august 26th, which is a couple days before month 2 ends. so i am glad i am only going to be accutane for a couple months while in school. i convinced my dad to let me wait until my acne is gone to get my senior pictures done haha. my depression/stress has definitely gone down because of summer and accutane, but when i have no acne, i am going to feel like a new person lol. honestly, if the regimen is working, i would ask your/a derm about going on a low dosage of accutane (if you have mild acne?) because i made that mistake 3 years ago when i decided what i was using was kind of working so i didn't need accutane. i feel like accutane will get rid of the majority of it and if it comes back i can maintain it with my current face wash + acanya or go on another treatment. idk why but i am really pro-accutane haha. good luck with the regimen though!

Yea your right summer does get rid of most of the stress/depression because when i was in school i just felt so ugly with all my acne and dark spots(from previous pimples). I'm going to my derm aug 4th, ill see if he says i need accutane(low dosage) when i tell him. He will probably say no since the regimen is working awesomly. I just got moisturizer today the one Dan recommended. Burns a little, but he says our skin should get used to it in future weeks in the regimen. Well,anyways i hope this dryness goes away before school starts. Because this year acne will not stand in my way!lol. Good luck man dont forget to post pictures, I will be with u all of your months on Accutane,hopefully dryness will be your only side-affect and a little aching! :D

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: P.S.: I'll be in Conyers and then Atlanta at an assembly, school shopping +other things tomorrow(longgg drive somewhat) so i want be able to get on. lol was there a point of me saying this P.S. :lol: