Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sun-ah-san

Roll Call for Current Accutane Users!

So I'm a few days into my final month, and I just started my topical regimen last Friday. My derm prescribed me Tretinoin .05% cream (a generic for Retin-A), and I'm supposed to apply it every other night so my skin can get used to it. All I can say is holy shit. I've only applied it 3 times, but my dryness and redness have skyrocketed. I'm now applying it every two days, because it's just too irritating right now, and combined with the fact that my face wash seems too harsh to be used in conjunction with the topical, let's just say my face is taking a beating (my cheeks and nose look lightly sunburnt). And it hasn't even been a week. I'm also trying to switch over to Tretinoin gel instead of the cream, since I've read that the cream contains a comedogenic ingredient; the gel, however, is way more irritating, so I'm kind of worried about that.

While I'm really glad that I got on a long-term topical regimen, I feel slightly down with how things are going (although I went into it knowing that this would happen). Over the past couple weeks, my post-acne red marks had really been improving, and some were barely even noticeable anymore. Now, they've all returned with a vengeance. The dryness and irritation was certainly expected, but I had no idea that I would get so red, especially so quickly. I know that retinoids are supposed to (eventually) help fade and eliminate red marks, but it's kind of disappointing to have all this redness come back when it seemed like it was on its way out. I'll just have to be patient, and hope that once I'm off the Accutane, some of the dryness/redness will calm down.

Also, if any of you have good recommendations for a gentle face wash, I'd really appreciate it. I'm currently using Neutrogena Redness Soothing Gentle Scrub, but I think the Salicylic Acid might be too irritating. I've also tried Purpose (burned the shit out of my face) and Cetaphil (too gentle - I never felt like my skin was clean). Thanks!

Just in case there are any guys (or girls, but I think it's easier for us in terms of dealing with shiny lips) early to mid-course here who are frustrated with having shiny lips, I've been using pawpaw ointment and it's less shiny and girly than Carmex and things like that. :) I don't know if this is helpful to anybody but I thought I'd put it out there.

2 questions...

1 - can accutane create permanent eczema?

2 - if i were to stop taking my pills 9 days before the final day (so 5 months and 21 days instead of 6 full months) would i fuck myself over? reason is i might be going on vacation and dont wanna bring the pills with me... ive also been clear for like 2 months...

thx

wtf why would he prescribe tretinoin while ur on tane...

I discussed starting a topical regimen while still taking Accutane with my derm, and he said that some people do it, and some people don't, it really just depends on the individual and their skin. Since my side effects had been incredibly mild (minor dryness, minor redness), he decided it would be okay to begin Tretinoin incrementally and see how my skin adjusted.

I apparently underestimated just how sensitive my skin is, because I am miserable right now. I feel pretty stupid now for applying the topical, but there was no way I could've known my reaction would be this harsh. I haven't used the Tretinoin in about a week, but my skin is still incredibly dry, tight, and irritated. And I definitely didn't overuse the Tretinoin, since I literally stuck to using a pea-sized amount over my entire face, but even that was too much for me. Right now, I'm moisturizing like crazy, but I'm scared my skin won't return to normal, which sucks because I only have a few weeks of Tane left and I had been doing really well. I still have a few small bumps, so I'm not totally clear, but I think they might be from all the intense moisturizing I've been doing over the past few days. My derm suggested I stop taking the Tane now so my skin will recover faster, but I'm really committed to sticking it out for 6 months, so I can't imagine quitting now that I'm almost there. Hopefully my skin will gradually begin to calm down, and this time I'll be waiting until I'm completely off the Accutane to restart my topical regimen.

Is anyone else on a topical right now? Also, for those of you that experienced a lot of dryness on Accutane, what moisturizer did you use? I've always used Neutrogena's Oil-Free Moisture, but it's just not cutting it with this level of dryness. I'm also trying out Pond's Dry Skin Cream, but it contains mineral oil, so I'm a little wary of it breaking me out even though it gets really positive reviews.

Edited by lmontgom

wtf why would he prescribe tretinoin while ur on tane...

I discussed starting a topical regimen while still taking Accutane with my derm, and he said that some people do it, and some people don't, it really just depends on the individual and their skin. Since my side effects had been incredibly mild (minor dryness, minor redness), he decided it would be okay to begin Tretinoin incrementally and see how my skin adjusted.

I apparently underestimated just how sensitive my skin is, because I am miserable right now. I feel pretty stupid now for applying the topical, but there was no way I could've known my reaction would be this harsh. I haven't used the Tretinoin in about a week, but my skin is still incredibly dry, tight, and irritated. And I definitely didn't overuse the Tretinoin, since I literally stuck to using a pea-sized amount over my entire face, but even that was too much for me. Right now, I'm moisturizing like crazy, but I'm scared my skin won't return to normal, which sucks because I only have a few weeks of Tane left and I had been doing really well. I still have a few small bumps, so I'm not totally clear, but I think they might be from all the intense moisturizing I've been doing over the past few days. My derm suggested I stop taking the Tane now so my skin will recover faster, but I'm really committed to sticking it out for 6 months, so I can't imagine quitting now that I'm almost there. Hopefully my skin will gradually begin to calm down, and this time I'll be waiting until I'm completely off the Accutane to restart my topical regimen.

Is anyone else on a topical right now? Also, for those of you that experienced a lot of dryness on Accutane, what moisturizer did you use? I've always used Neutrogena's Oil-Free Moisture, but it's just not cutting it with this level of dryness. I'm also trying out Pond's Dry Skin Cream, but it contains mineral oil, so I'm a little wary of it breaking me out even though it gets really positive reviews.

Dude just take the accutane forget using topicals while you're on it.

when is my warm face gona go awwayyy

BTW IM FINISHED ACCUTANE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

ACCUTANE IS THE DEVIL LOL

no but it worked, acne is gone just need side effects to go awya

I have 17 days left in my course, and over the past few days, my left cheek has broken out with a bunch of small, red pimples (not that bad in and of themselves, but worrisome this late in my course). It could be a reaction to some products I've been using since my skin became very dried out last week (I've been using way more moisturizer, and I changed my cleanser, but the cleanser actually contained mica, so I switched back a couple days ago), but I didn't think anything like that could break you out while on Accutane, since it's such a strong drug. I really hope it's not some random, inexplicable breakout, since I'm thisclose to finishing Accutane and I would hate to finish on a bad note like this.

Anyway, is anyone here experiencing any breakouts at this point, or is your skin totally clear?

My name is Jacob, Started accutane 2 days ago and am in it for the long haul. I will keep everyone posted and ask questions im positive that I will have later on lol.

Good luck everyone.

Btw I am on 30 mg a day at the moment.

fucking finished, talk about a long five months. now its time to start the binge drinking...in a month when it leaves my system >.>. ill put some after pics up tomorrow. still have to go to my potentially last derm appointment

sup brahs, im on day 11 of 40 mg a day. Bumping up to 60mg a day next month. Good so far, only side effect is chapped lips. Haven't felt tired or had headaches or anything. hopefully it will be this chill throughout the 5 months.

Officially been in month 5 for about a week now. Derm bumped me from 40mg to 60mg. Am I supposed to get another small initial breakout? In the last week I've had a lot of little bumps surface. Luckily they go away super quickly, like within a day or two.

However, I just discovered this massive cyst on my back... gross sorry. I had back acne when I started accutane but it cleared within a month and since then I haven't had any problems with it coming back. I know this isn't the end of the world as it's not bathing suit weather), but it's still a little worry some... Any advice on how to get rid of it quicker? Do cysts go away quicker on accutane? I've never really had one so I don't know...

pics from when i first started are on page 4. i'd say theres been a little improvement ;) still waiting for lips to not be dry and maybe redness to come down etc.

post-134274-0-73673300-1320738565_thumb.

post-134274-0-21531100-1320738572_thumb.

post-134274-0-01653400-1320738581_thumb.

post-134274-0-73673300-1320738565_thumb.

post-134274-0-21531100-1320738572_thumb.

post-134274-0-01653400-1320738581_thumb.

Man you cleared up really well ^

I'm on end of month 5 (@70mg) as well and I can't say mine was quite as drastic - I have a lot more scarring and general hyperpigmentation than you..

Quick question for anyone else in topic, whilst my face has finally cleared up around the 3.5 month mark my back is still breaking out pretty badly, is this something to be concerned about? I'd assumed the back would have cleared up first but it totally hasn't - it was always less prolific there, and I only started getting any there at 19, not 13 like the rest, but I can't help but be a little worried that there hasnt been much improvement in that area.

The derm stuck me on another month for a cumulative dose of 180mg/kg and obviously that's outside the normal recommended dose anyway, but I guess I'm just worried that if it's stubborn there it will return elsewhere as well, it took long enough for the accutane to actually kick in.

I'm new to this topic so bare with me. I started Claravis on November 4, 2011 so I've been taking it for 1 week and 4 days so far. 40 mg total daily and didn't take long for me to master geting those pills out of the blister packs. I have about maybe 9-10 or so papules/pustules and two cysts scattered across my face. But I'm still using clindamycin gel as a spot treatment and that helps greatly. I do want to stop using it, and let Claravis do it's job. The only supplement I'm taking is glucosamine 1500 mg to help my bones and I heard to could help skin too. But maybe that's just topical glucosamine. Anyways I hope my first course goes well!

Also I weigh 135 lbs = 61 kg.