Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sun-ah-san

Roll Call for Current Accutane Users!

#1 Post by yours truly, Cooool

QUOTE (Cooool @ Sep 6 2011, 07:46 PM)

Has anyone had increased libido...like i can't stop thinking about sex... shouldn't it be the opposite? I'm passed puberty and i dunno why I'm like this suddenly, I even let a friend convince me into going into a massage parlour that gives hand jobs...something I used to think was ridiculous

The Goal of this Thread:

To compile a community diary and community list of Acne.org members who started taking Accutane during the Summer of 2011. So that one day others can take what they will from our experiences.

I thought that it would be a good idea to share our journey together and keep each other motivated by having a thread dedicated to those who recently got/will get/or is already on Accutane.

Just a nice little way of keeping in touch with other Accutane users as well as giving advice to one another. You can share anything and everything, talk about everything and anything, or just hangout.

Oh, and in the end we can all "graduate" together biggrin.gif

Come on guys sign up! It will make our 5-6 month course more bearable tongue.gif

Current Members:

Sun-ah-san

Lipslikesugar22

Again!

fizz

musclegto

Uleric

Crystal841

acneftl777

mdn217

Acnesucks33

pinkstarlett

nestorprime

lay

lmontgom

MissMia

Mini Me.

elle.beth

sammyohh

�_�

Artacry

Pigwidgeon

Nesrak99

shmelsey

captainawesome

Skiyk

susanliu

dollyjoon

aviva27

michael scarn

Tara92

WWTDD?

This Kid

how2lov3

rock316

aliass

daz304

76ers1985

elle.beth

Masc

soccersweetie1101

ChocolateCC

rhg

asymptote

Jeff H

Roisin75

grasberry

sophia07

Amak

airxjordan24

hk!

Timehealsall

Parker395

Callum.

Cooool

AliJay

Gutterflower

monopoly

Graduates (I will be adding a link next to your name of your Finale Post when you are done):

COMING SOON!

Member's pages:

Again! - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/3rd-accut...60#entry3102360

mdn217 - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Starting-...35#entry3062935

pinkstarlett - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/road-clea...20#entry3045620

lay - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/June-18-2...21#entry3103321

Pigwidgeon - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Pigwidgeo...01#entry3106701

Crystal841 - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/IT-S-TANE...45#entry3074545

captainawesome - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Captainaw...ne-t296975.html

This Kid - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Begins-t2...94#entry3116094

elle.beth - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Finally-s...ne-t297762.html

sophia07 - http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Accutane-...22#entry3116722

If any of you have blogs or something you want to share please ask me and I will post them up onto the front page! I added some blogs of our members!

Edited by Sun-ah-san

I will start,

I'm a 23 year old male and I just started accutane about 2.5 weeks ago. I definitely got my initial breakout but at the same time my acne is disappearing! My face got a bit red from the accutane but I think the moisturizer controlled it.

So far it just feels great to be on accutane and on my way to clear skin.

To get the ball rolling, I have a question for current accutane users: What cleanser are you using while on accutane?

Currently, I am using the Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser to wash and nothing else.

Edit:

Lips...noooooooooooooo!!! you stole my first spot! hehehe I am glad to hear you are starting soon!

Edited by sunaah

I will be starting for the 3rd time Possiy late July. I have reservations though. Check out my blog I just started. I put my whole story down and would love to hear some feedback.

I will be starting for the 3rd time Possiy late July. I have reservations though. Check out my blog I just started. I put my whole story down and would love to hear some feedback.

hmm wow you are a veteran. did the derm ever give you any reasons why the acne comes back for some and not for others?

I know that Accutane reduces oil production by reducing sebaceous glands, and it seems like for some the glands stay away and for others they come back? Is this true for you? Is your face oily like it was when you first had acne?

I am very curious as to what that derm would have to say about your acne coming back after two treatments.

The only thing I heard about the hair loss was that it was a very rare side effect.

hmm wow you are a veteran. did the derm ever give you any reasons why the acne comes back for some and not for others?

I know that Accutane reduces oil production by reducing sebaceous glands, and it seems like for some the glands stay away and for others they come back? Is this true for you? Is your face oily like it was when you first had acne?

I am very curious as to what that derm would have to say about your acne coming back after two treatments.

The only thing I heard about the hair loss was that it was a very rare side effect.

Thanks. The answer I got was basically they do not know why some are cured long-term while others are not. She did tell me that they have found that with each additional course, you are more likely to be cured for good or at least a longer duration of acne free skin, which at this point I am so desperate, a break would be worth it. She also said that the older you are when you have treatment, the better your odds are.

As far as my oil goes, I would still say that I am oily, but most definitely not as oily. I guess the best example would be my hair. Before I went on accutane, I would have to wash my hair everyday, no matter what. Now, I can wash it every other day and sometimes fudge it for one more day.

Part of me really wants (and does) to believe my dermatologist. I truly believe if this drug had caused baldness (or any other serious ailments) she would tell me and also wouldn't be prescribing it to her patients. I am educated enough to know that pharmaceutical companies don't really care about anything except profits, which makes me feel scared to take the drug. With that said, I also believe that if it really were as dangerous as people are saying, then I think it would have been pulled off the market after almost 30 years.

I'm almost upset at myself for reading all these negative blogs, because now I am so scared. I really do think I will go back on it. Even with all my fears, my gut tells me I will be okay. We'll see.

hi ppl! Im fizz n im on 20mg of tane, in a cupla days my dose is being upped to 80mg, which im nervous about! Im on day 32, and my skin is ok. All the blakheads came 2 the surface and i extracted them, but the coming bak again. Is this normal? I extracted my whiteheads and there comingbak, but u cant c them. I have like 3 tiny pustules and my chest acneis reduced. My skin is totally oilfree! When will the whiteheads n blakheads totally go away? Please answer!

hi ppl! Im fizz n im on 20mg of tane, in a cupla days my dose is being upped to 80mg, which im nervous about! Im on day 32, and my skin is ok. All the blakheads came 2 the surface and i extracted them, but the coming bak again. Is this normal? I extracted my whiteheads and there comingbak, but u cant c them. I have like 3 tiny pustules and my chest acneis reduced. My skin is totally oilfree! When will the whiteheads n blakheads totally go away? Please answer!

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

Male, 23, and 5 months into my treatment, Took 40 mg the first 4 months and I am now alternating taking 1 pill one day and 2 pills the next. Hopefully a month more and I will be done. My journey with this drug has been a bitter/sweet one. Aside from all of the normal side effects, it has practically cleared me up, the only thing left is some scarring...

some of my side effects were

-Dry lips, dry nose, small arm rashes (eczema) feeling a little blue, achy muscles, very minor thinning hair, joint pain (this was a big one since I am very active in martial arts). Fish oil, super cissus rx and lots of water did wonders for my joints.

However I cant complain, after 10 years of living with acne, I can finally wake up and not have to worry about what new whitehead i need to pop, hopefully the side effects reside and my face stays clean.

Just thought I would drop a line :)

hey musclegto, did u have blakheads n whiteheads? Did tane get rid of them? How long did it take?

Morning all...

44 y/o male here with blackhead/whitehead acne as my prominent type since I was 13. Haven't really gotten any severe pustules since I was in my 30's, but do get a dozen or so, large Papules on my body occasionally. Over the past few years I have been getting very, very large and very very deep cystic acne on my back, butt, and back of my thighs.

For 30 years I've tried everything from acid washes, BP, topicals, etc. Though any 'few' paplues tend to go away (not with BP though, I break out severely using it), however, I still have deep clogged pores and very oily skin.

For the past 8 years I have been on a very strict wash routine with mandelic acid which has burnt off any blackheads I have on the surface, but again... My skin is puffy and full of the cheesy stuff regardless of how well I keep it clean. Plus the massive cysts are too much to bear at my age now.

Thus I've asked my dermatologist where to go from here. I asked about accutane when I was 18 and was told that I was not severe enough to be a candidate (I though so...). I asked again when I was in my 30s and was told the same thing. Now at 44, with less 'visible' acne, horrible ice pick scars, and very large cysts, my dermatologist was more than happy to put me on 40mg/day Accutane before any other treatment.

30 years of suffering and now Im eligible? Im still trying to figure that out. Anyway, I started my first tablet today.

A little worried about joint and muscle loss stories I've read about. Im an avid rock climber and do not want to throw that sport away. Im also leery about the sun sensitivity. We're 'finally'.... getting summer here in Seattle and its a 3 month window I really don't want to miss out on.

Anyway... Heres to hoping no major side effects come our ways.

Also... does anyone know if its ok to use Glucosamine and Chondroitin while on Accutane? I use it heavily to keep my joints lubed up for sports. It works great, but Im worried using it if Accutane also effects the joints.

Edited by Uleric

Hey all,

My name is Crystal, 29 yrs old, and I've been on Claravis for 40 days now. My first month was at 20mg, and this month I bumped to 40mg.

The plan is to increase to 60mg next mon and then take 80mg mons 4-6. I am 120lbs, 5'3'', and I am concerned about my total dosage on this... I'll be way over what's recommended.

I have decided to play it by ear tho, and see how my body handles the med.

So far so good, side effects wise. Still breaking out, but what do you do, lol? At least I'm 40 days closer...

Also, I have a log if anyone wants to check it out.

Good luck to all!

Here's to clear skin!

Edited by Crystal841

Morning all...

44 y/o male here with blackhead/whitehead acne as my prominent type since I was 13. Haven't really gotten any severe pustules since I was in my 30's, but do get a dozen or so, large Papules on my body occasionally. Over the past few years I have been getting very, very large and very very deep cystic acne on my back, butt, and back of my thighs.

For 30 years I've tried everything from acid washes, BP, topicals, etc. Though any 'few' paplues tend to go away (not with BP though, I break out severely using it), however, I still have deep clogged pores and very oily skin.

For the past 8 years I have been on a very strict wash routine with mandelic acid which has burnt off any blackheads I have on the surface, but again... My skin is puffy and full of the cheesy stuff regardless of how well I keep it clean. Plus the massive cysts are too much to bear at my age now.

Thus I've asked my dermatologist where to go from here. I asked about accutane when I was 18 and was told that I was not severe enough to be a candidate (I though so...). I asked again when I was in my 30s and was told the same thing. Now at 44, with less 'visible' acne, horrible ice pick scars, and very large cysts, my dermatologist was more than happy to put me on 40mg/day Accutane before any other treatment.

30 years of suffering and now Im eligible? Im still trying to figure that out. Anyway, I started my first tablet today.

A little worried about joint and muscle loss stories I've read about. Im an avid rock climber and do not want to throw that sport away. Im also leery about the sun sensitivity. We're 'finally'.... getting summer here in Seattle and its a 3 month window I really don't want to miss out on.

Anyway... Heres to hoping no major side effects come our ways.

Also... does anyone know if its ok to use Glucosamine and Chondroitin while on Accutane? I use it heavily to keep my joints lubed up for sports. It works great, but Im worried using it if Accutane also effects the joints.

Hey,

I am so sorry that your dr never gave you accutane before, that was rediculus! I wish you the best! I too am from Seattle and it really stinks to know that I will not get to enjoy the little bit of sun we get since I will be starting at the end of July. Big bummer!

I am not sure about the lube stuff. Call your pharmacist and they should be able to help you. I am an avid runner, so I am quite worried myself. I have been reading that people take fish oil, so that might be worth a try.

Hey all,

My name is Crystal, 29 yrs old, and I've been on Claravis for 40 days now. My first month was at 20mg, and this month I bumped to 40mg.

The plan is to increase to 60mg next mon and then take 80mg mons 4-6. I am 120lbs, 5'3'', and I am concerned about my total dosage on this... I'll be way over what's recommended.

I have decided to play it by ear tho, and see how my body handles the med.

So far so good, side effects wise. Still breaking out, but what do you do, lol? At least I'm 40 days closer...

Also, I have a log if anyone wants to check it out.

Good luck to all!

Here's to clear skin!

I wouldn't worry about your dosage being too much. If anything I would say it's too low. I am 5'7" and 130lbs. The last time I was on accutane I was on 80mg/2 months & 120mg/3 months. I did not have too many side effects. My dermatologist said that she would gi e the same dosage to a 300lb m and also a 70lb f. I didn't think to ask why.

Hey guys, this is my 2nd/3rd course of accutane after a 13 year break (was on oral antibiotics). Stop taking antibiotics because it was causing digestive issues and my acne came back but not as severe but still quite cystic/nodal. Nipped it in the bud early and have been on accutane for 34 days not at 40mg/day.

Went through the IB during the 2nd thru 3rd week and the nodes are getting smaller, just your normal redness, red marks, dry skin/lips.

Bought shower filter for washing my face/body and using Cetaphil Mild Wash and Olay Sensitive Skin Moisterizer.

21 year old male.... starting month 3 on 80mg. I have seen good results, def. out weighing the side effects. Check out my log in my signature

26 y/o Female, just started month 5. I was on 40mg the first month and 60th mg ever since. I didn't really start clearing up until the 4th month, although oil decreased and dry lips right away. Check out my blog for more info, although i've been clearer and extremely busy, so not updating as often.

ive been waiting so long it feels to finally get accutane and now im 23 pills deep. my skin just seems like it has more red marks and irritated so, so far im not happy with the results and its bringing me down. however ill stay positive and hope ill see a change by the end of the second month. all i've been using is cetaphil gentle cleanser as well and lots o' chapstick

Thanks. The answer I got was basically they do not know why some are cured long-term while others are not. She did tell me that they have found that with each additional course, you are more likely to be cured for good or at least a longer duration of acne free skin, which at this point I am so desperate, a break would be worth it. She also said that the older you are when you have treatment, the better your odds are.

As far as my oil goes, I would still say that I am oily, but most definitely not as oily. I guess the best example would be my hair. Before I went on accutane, I would have to wash my hair everyday, no matter what. Now, I can wash it every other day and sometimes fudge it for one more day.

Part of me really wants (and does) to believe my dermatologist. I truly believe if this drug had caused baldness (or any other serious ailments) she would tell me and also wouldn't be prescribing it to her patients. I am educated enough to know that pharmaceutical companies don't really care about anything except profits, which makes me feel scared to take the drug. With that said, I also believe that if it really were as dangerous as people are saying, then I think it would have been pulled off the market after almost 30 years.

I'm almost upset at myself for reading all these negative blogs, because now I am so scared. I really do think I will go back on it. Even with all my fears, my gut tells me I will be okay. We'll see.

I know this doesn't mean much but we will be with you all the way, day by day, while you are on tane! keep in touch!

hey fizz thanks for posting! Not sure when they will go away since I am about a week behind you and I still have whiteheads coming up :P

But I have seen some of the whiteheads go down and disappear! It's working!

Hi guys, long time reader, first time poster.

Male, 23, and 5 months into my treatment, Took 40 mg the first 4 months and I am now alternating taking 1 pill one day and 2 pills the next. Hopefully a month more and I will be done. My journey with this drug has been a bitter/sweet one. Aside from all of the normal side effects, it has practically cleared me up, the only thing left is some scarring...

some of my side effects were

-Dry lips, dry nose, small arm rashes (eczema) feeling a little blue, achy muscles, very minor thinning hair, joint pain (this was a big one since I am very active in martial arts). Fish oil, super cissus rx and lots of water did wonders for my joints.

However I cant complain, after 10 years of living with acne, I can finally wake up and not have to worry about what new whitehead i need to pop, hopefully the side effects reside and my face stays clean.

Just thought I would drop a line :)

really appreciate this man. I am the same age and I have been dealing with acne for 10 years as well. Glad it worked out so well for you, I hope to hear from you soon with a post about your last pill!

okay, I was about to reply to everyone but didn't realize so many posted! thanks for joining and it seems like a lot of us are almost done with the course. Let us wish these folks the best on their last leg of the journey. For those of you who are nearly done, please post once about your final day on the pill before you run off! :P

I want to thank everyone for the introductions and I hope more people join. This will be a great way to share CuRrEnT stories on accutane and a way help others and give advice to one another. Keep in touch with one another and contribute! You can post a mini blog of your days on accutane as well; it is always good to know where each person is at and what results they are currently seeing.

Post your progress with the drug so others can be motivated to keep going with the treatment.

My Day today:

An inflamed pustule was growing below my lips but it seems to be dying down now. Some whiteheads emerged to their final state and I was able to take them out gently. I try not to touch them unless they are very fragile and will most likely burst during a shower. But make sure you disinfect the area if you do pop them, and try not to spread it around.

Face is still oily and I have about 8 inflamed whiteheads. Still at the initial breakout stage I fear. Oh and my hands become so wrinkly by just touching water! Very dry and peeling.

Do any of u guys get very wrinkly hands after contact with water or peeling hands?

Edited by sunaah

Hey guys, this is my 2nd/3rd course of accutane after a 13 year break (was on oral antibiotics). Stop taking antibiotics because it was causing digestive issues and my acne came back but not as severe but still quite cystic/nodal. Nipped it in the bud early and have been on accutane for 34 days not at 40mg/day.

Went through the IB during the 2nd thru 3rd week and the nodes are getting smaller, just your normal redness, red marks, dry skin/lips.

Bought shower filter for washing my face/body and using Cetaphil Mild Wash and Olay Sensitive Skin Moisterizer.

shower filter...that is a great idea! good clean water.

wow 3rd course after 13 years? you were acne free for 13 years? it is heartening to know that you came back to the drug because you seem to trust that it will work again?