Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hope2011

Ice Pick Scars - any hope?

So i went to a new cosmetic derma today to continue my 4th session of v-beam. I was getting it done at a medi-spa earlier but decided to go here instead. A) I was charged a lot more than what I had been paying at the medi-spa B) I was told that I also had ice pick scars and that they were so deep pitted that I had lost collagen and it would never be back to normal :(

I wanted to ask you people is it true - if you have ice pick scars would your skin never recover and be back to normal or close to the way it was? Ive never had an acne problem before until this past winter when I got cystic acne out of the blue. Thank God i was able to manage the acne but am still left with the scars to deal with.

Thoughts?

Can you heal icepicks completely? Short answer? Yes! Long answer? Yeeeeeeeeeeessssss! lol. Ok, sorry, joking aside. What she said is true, icepicks are basically deep pits of emptiness (i.e. missing collagen) that will forever remain that way if you don't treat them. However, the impression that she gave you that there's nothing you can do about it is flat out WRONG. I hate when doctors make false implications, half truths and misleading remarks. It shows they are either stupid, unethical or ignorant. There are two VERY effective procedures on icepicks with numerous success stories that can yield 100% results, as in, it would look like you've never had an icepick there at all after the procedure, like 100% normal skin. I suggest you research TCA cross (if there are small diameter icepicks like 2mm or so) or research excision by scalpel or punch excision. I prefer and suggest you go with scalpel if you can instead of punch techniques.

The funny thing is, your post reminds me of a 21+ page post that some girl called Maria started on this site many years ago. Her first post was exactly like yours, she went to a derm who said there is no way you can get rid of an icepick scar, she was really distraught, and then went to consult a plastic surgeon, and the plastic surgeon was like, this one should be easy to get rid of, and was adamant that she could remove it completely 100%, and that is exactly what happened. Maria was ecstatic with her results even 6 years down the line, and she posted numerous updates in her recovery and eventually before/after photos proving once and for all, you CAN remove and heal an icepick 100% via excision. Below is the thread of Maria's story...it is just like yours, lol. Cases like these are the reasons I keep harping on people NOT JUST listening to their doctors opinions without doing their own research, oftentimes, they really are THAT clueless. And also, as cases like these show, it is the reason I keep recommending people seek the services of plastic surgeons instead of clueless derms when it comes to scar removal.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/PUNCH-EXC...ICKS-t6590.html

Anyway, let me assure you further that you can get rid of it completely, 100%. I can absolutely make this statement with 100% confidence is because I've removed numerous boxcars and icepicks completely via scalpel excision with plastic surgeon, meaning, like normal skin, no line scars, nothing, like there was never a scar there to begin with. Don't believe those who say you can never get 100% resolution to scar issues, do your own research on this site on TCA cross and excision, those are your best bets. Avoid lasers on icepicks at all costs, it is NOT the right procedure for the scar type. Because lasers melt skin to flat scars out, you risk making the icepick into a boxcar. Good luck.

Edited by miramar

i'll come back to this later because i'm really busy at the moment but mar, stop promising 100% improvement to vulnerable sufferers. NO plastic surgeon will ever tell you that your scars will vanish, they will repeat that you are trading an icepick or boxcar scar for a thin and longer surgical scar.

i'll come back to this later because i'm really busy at the moment but mar, stop promising 100% improvement to vulnerable sufferers. NO plastic surgeon will ever tell you that your scars will vanish, they will repeat that you are trading an icepick or boxcar scar for a thin and longer surgical scar.

I'm not promising anything. I said it "can," I never said you will ALWAYS get 100% resolution. Are you always going to end up with a line free excision? Absolutely not, you have to do the right things right to get that, but are you ALWAYS going to get a line, that's a NO also. The truth is, the answer depends on how well you cut, stitch and take care of the wound afterwards. Do everything right, and you will have a VERY good chance of 100% resolution, that's all I'm saying. This is not false hope, this is bourne out by photographic evidence in the thread, and in various threads throughout this board if people are willing to do their own research. Besides, the OP can decide for themselves after reading through the 21+ thread which has photographic proof at the end.

As for what plastic surgeons say, they will always say there will be a line because of liabilities and lawsuits, in other words, they are covering their own asses by setting the bar low, so if it happens, they are covered, and if it heals with no lines, that's even better. Excisions CAN and do heal without visible lines all the time, to imply that this can never happen is absolutely false, and would be doing everyone a huge disservice, you'll have to back that up with evidence if you are going to make such an absolute statement, based solely on your singular experience, esp when my own experience invalidates your assumptions. It was exactly this type of false assumption that prevented me from fixing my scars for years due to fear, I'm just glad I finally figured it out and finally fixed them once and for all.

I repeat to satiate the doubters, you're not always going to get 100% resolution, but you're not always going to get a line either. It depends on the surgeon and you doing all the right things. Figure out what the right things to do are, and you'll more likely succeed than fail, that's all.

Edited by miramar

Guest Timehealsall

I'm not promising anything. I said it "can," I never said you will ALWAYS get 100% resolution. Are you always going to end up with a line free excision? Absolutely not, you have to do the right things right to get that, but are you ALWAYS going to get a line, that's a NO also. The truth is, the answer depends on how well you cut, stitch and take care of the wound afterwards. Do everything right, and you will have a VERY good chance of 100% resolution, that's all I'm saying. This is not false hope, this is bourne out by photographic evidence in the thread, and in various threads throughout this board if people are willing to do their own research. Besides, the OP can decide for themselves after reading through the 21+ thread which has photographic proof at the end.

As for what plastic surgeons say, they will always say there will be a line because of liabilities and lawsuits, in other words, they are covering their own asses by setting the bar low, so if it happens, they are covered, and if it heals with no lines, that's even better. Excisions CAN and do heal without visible lines all the time, to imply that this can never happen is absolutely false, and would be doing everyone a huge disservice, you'll have to back that up with evidence if you are going to make such an absolute statement, based solely on your singular experience, esp when my own experience invalidates your assumptions. It was exactly this type of false assumption that prevented me from fixing my scars for years due to fear, I'm just glad I finally figured it out and finally fixed them once and for all.

I repeat to satiate the doubters, you're not always going to get 100% resolution, but you're not always going to get a line either. It depends on the surgeon and you doing all the right things. Figure out what the right things to do are, and you'll more likely succeed than fail, that's all.

hey good post.

What about scarred pores? Can you get rid of scarred pores? I am assuming you can if you can get rid of icepicks..

Thank you guys - this gives me some hope! I am researching my options and will go see a couple more dermatologists/plastic surgeons to see if they have other ideas. I found it hard to believe too that nothing could be done.

When you guys talk about a surgery scar as opposed to an acne scar - how prominent is it? As in if you get TCA Cross for an icepick scar (which is anyway so tiny) how could the other scar take over? I will do more research but thought i'd ask you guys anyway.

I wish there was a natural way to help increase collagen. What about those vitamin c serums - do you know if they help at all?

So basically nothing works on icepicks except TCA cross and excision? What about those who had success treating their icepicks with eMatrix,,.sassy74 and many others witnessed improvements in their icepick scars with eMatrix, their icepicks lifted up and they continue to fill in as time goes by.

I'll personally stick with eMatrix for the time being I still have like 4 more sittings and I'm sure that my icepicks will fill in with time.

does anyone have a link to the thread that explains how to perform TCA cross on ice-pick scars?

i have to back miramar on this one, i believe that icepick scars can be removed completely and the best 2 methods are TCA Cross and excision

but tca cross may or may not remove it completely

anyway, good luck

Guest Timehealsall

If icepicks can be removed COMPLETELY, than i am sure scarred pores can be too (using similar methods of course)

I think it's pretty well known that ice pick/surface scarring is the hardest to treat. Luckily they are the least severe of all the scar types as they are the least visible. To people saying that they can see 100% results in ice pick scarring is a bit of a stretch to say the least. However, with the advancements of lasers and other procedures *some* improvement can be made.

Edited by kidrock29520

i have to back miramar on this one, i believe that icepick scars can be removed completely and the best 2 methods are TCA Cross and excision

but tca cross may or may not remove it completely

anyway, good luck

Can TCA cross cause further scarring ?

From looking at your pics it seems to me that you have ice-pick and rolling scars. I would think maybe tca-cross multiple times along with either subcision and or a filler.

I went to this derm yesterday and he refused to perform TCA cross on my scars :/ hes like TCA cross is pure poison and that I should go home n google the long term dangers and side effects of TCA cross n that it leaves permanent dark spots on the individually treated scars plus i should neber attempt to do it on my own etc etc He offered another treatment which is subsicion combined with laser...I think I should order some TCA cross acid and do it on my own!

I went to this derm yesterday and he refused to perform TCA cross on my scars :/ hes like TCA cross is pure poison and that I should go home n google the long term dangers and side effects of TCA cross n that it leaves permanent dark spots on the individually treated scars plus i should neber attempt to do it on my own etc etc He offered another treatment which is subsicion combined with laser...I think I should order some TCA cross acid and do it on my own!

Bonbon, it's true that doctors always seem to suggest the most expensive treatment even when a cheaper treatment is available and can be just as effective. Those lasers are expensive and they have to pay them off.

So while i would be dismissive of the drs suggestion for laser treatment (not to say lasers are completely useless), I'm curious as to why he or she suggested subsicion? Subsicion is usually performed on rolling scars. If you have rolling scars tca may not be the best route to take. Plus you need to be REALLY careful if you do it on your own. Do a small area first and see how it goes.

I was told by a doctor to use dermaroller on my scars and that it would help with it? TCA cross was not mentioned. Again, to me it seems like the service that the doctor offers they sell. I'm SO confused it's not even funny.