Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KoreanAmerican19

One year of Differin (.3%) and Clyndamycin Phosphate Gel (.1%)

I actually documented my acne log for the past year

I started out twice a week photos and then sometimes only once a month.

I have over 35 sets of photos over the past year. I'd like to make a cool animation/video of the whole progress one day hehe.

This first picture is after having mild, then moderate, then severe acne for about 2 years.

First image:

firstor.jpg

post-128130-1307079306_thumb.jpg

I started using Jojoba oil and Benzol Peroxide for my acne, but it didn't help me enough...

I tried almost everything including Proactive, Neutrogena, Dan's Regimen, Retina-A, Antibiotics, etc.

Second image:

secondm.jpg

post-128130-1307079317_thumb.jpg

Then I tried Differin. First day was a disaster.

I put too much on and I put it on places that were too sensitive (around the nose, around the mouth, places without acne). Took me a week to recover from it, but I saw improvements within 2 weeks.

Third image:

thirdb.jpg

post-128130-1307079329_thumb.jpg

Then I started using both Differin (.3%) and Clyndamycin Phosphate Gel (.1%)

Never use Differin during the day, it will be too much for the sun. Only use during the night.

Always apply sensitive skin light sun block during the day to moisturize,

nothing at night.

I also used tweezers to pop the white-heads of the pimples to prevent scarring.

I never apply Differin to open wound acne, only Clyndamycin to those areas,

and I only pop pimples at night so they can recover (always remember to keep blotting out

the acne pus until dry, then apply the Clyndamycin)

Fourth image:

fourthy.jpg

post-128130-1307079341_thumb.jpg

I continued this routine, but then realized that Olay Sensitive skin foaming soap and Olay sensitive skin classic formula 15 SPF Moisturizer were the best combination for my skin and I didn't wash more than twice a day, and I used Gatsby clear oil-blotting paper for excess oil throughout the day.

Fifth image:

fifthb.jpg

post-128130-1307079351_thumb.jpg

Finally, after I kept a lot of my acne down with this regimen, I had to make sure I could maintain it. I do the same thing and try to get at least 8 hours of sleep, good diet, regular exercise, skin care, sun-screen when outdoors, oil-blotting etc.

Sixth image:

sixthy.jpg

post-128130-1307079360_thumb.jpg

If any of you have specific questions about more details about my regime, I'd be happy to help. Just ask and I'll fill in. A few months ago I helped my youngest sister out with her acne as well and this sensitive-skin regime seemed to worked very well for her :)

post-128130-1307079306_thumb.jpg

post-128130-1307079317_thumb.jpg

post-128130-1307079329_thumb.jpg

post-128130-1307079341_thumb.jpg

post-128130-1307079351_thumb.jpg

post-128130-1307079360_thumb.jpg

Edited by KoreanAmerican19

Skin looks awesome. How long before you started noticing results?

Hey Fred, thanks

I saw quick improvements the second week (since my skin looked horrible the first few days after I used differin)

By month 2, I could tell my skin was clearing up a lot but I still had random cystic acnes here and there (on my nose, cheek, etc.)

However, by month 3 and 4, I was using a lotion and facewash that was very sensitive (OLAY) and remembering to only use Differin at night, Clyndamycin day and night, and I saw a lot of improvement by then.

Months 5-7, I had slight acne here and there,

but now I only have small acne, about 95% clear :)

btw, another board member message'd me this question and I thought I'd share:

Wow, great improvement from your posting! I was wondering a bit about your experience with Differin. I tried the 0.3% back in the day, and it made my skin the worst it's ever been. I feel now that I had maybe been using too much. You said you overdid it at first? What was your experience when first using Differin?

Hi!

Yes the first week it was horrible because I put too much on areas that were too sensitive, For example,

around the crevices of my nose

around my mouth

and other places on my face that normally did not get acne

The differin was too much for those areas and I literally had skin peeling and all these "rug-burn" like marks on my face.

Not only that, differin brings out all you acne/bacteria to surface the first 1-2 weeks. I knew this would happen though because I had researched it before and so I wasn't surprised but it was just kind of hideous at first.

However, I saw improvements within 2 weeks because after the acne had surfaced (worst acne ever), I started to see less acne and only a few big cystic ones, which also took time to get rid of.

Only use differin on parts of your face that HAVE acne,

avoid around the nose crevices, mouth area, jaw area, neck, etc.

Only apply at night, never in the day because the sun will irritate it.

Use Clyndamycin Phosphote (.1%) during the day and on open acne wounds, it will help kill the bacteria and heal the skin.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Skin looks awesome. How long before you started noticing results?

Hey Fred, thanks

I saw quick improvements the second week (since my skin looked horrible the first few days after I used differin)

By month 2, I could tell my skin was clearing up a lot but I still had random cystic acnes here and there (on my nose, cheek, etc.)

However, by month 3 and 4, I was using a lotion and facewash that was very sensitive (OLAY) and remembering to only use Differin at night, Clyndamycin day and night, and I saw a lot of improvement by then.

Months 5-7, I had slight acne here and there,

but now I only have small acne, about 95% clear :)

btw, another board member message'd me this question and I thought I'd share:

Wow, great improvement from your posting! I was wondering a bit about your experience with Differin. I tried the 0.3% back in the day, and it made my skin the worst it's ever been. I feel now that I had maybe been using too much. You said you overdid it at first? What was your experience when first using Differin?

Hi!

Yes the first week it was horrible because I put too much on areas that were too sensitive, For example,

around the crevices of my nose

around my mouth

and other places on my face that normally did not get acne

The differin was too much for those areas and I literally had skin peeling and all these "rug-burn" like marks on my face.

Not only that, differin brings out all you acne/bacteria to surface the first 1-2 weeks. I knew this would happen though because I had researched it before and so I wasn't surprised but it was just kind of hideous at first.

However, I saw improvements within 2 weeks because after the acne had surfaced (worst acne ever), I started to see less acne and only a few big cystic ones, which also took time to get rid of.

Only use differin on parts of your face that HAVE acne,

avoid around the nose crevices, mouth area, jaw area, neck, etc.

Only apply at night, never in the day because the sun will irritate it.

Use Clyndamycin Phosphote (.1%) during the day and on open acne wounds, it will help kill the bacteria and heal the skin.

Hope this helps,

Daniel

Daniel!! You look AMAZING!! Well done conquering this battle my friend.

Just wanted to say CONGRATS

best,

Lili

Thanks Lili and May!

I've been using Differin, Benzoyl Peroxide and Clindamycin. Can I exclude Benzoyl Peroxide the my doctor prescribed me?
Edited by KoreanAmerican19

so I only use Clindamycin in the morning and differin in the night. I've read you no longer use jojoba oil, been trying it out- seems like my skin is healthy because have combination skin which means dry patches- I no longer have dry patches! :think: But I don't think it cures acne, but good moisturizer. What do differin and Clindamycin do, anyway? :idea:

Wow your skin is gorgeous! I'm Asian from Malaysia. I use Clyndamycin in the morning with Neutrogena Moisture and Differin 0.1% (Malaysia don't sell 0.3%) at night. I used for about 2months and 12 days but my acne get worse than before. I know the Differin is working because in the morning when I awake I see the acne subside but just not clear. Maybe this is IB? Can you advice me what can I do?

Sorry for my broken English.

Edited by xSerendipity

Same thing happened to me with Differin XP gel

Good work bro............Thanks for posting the pics.

This will encourage ppl to use conventional acne treatments

strange that retin-A did not work for you, but differin did. how long were you on retin-A? I went to a doctor to ask for differin but she prescribed retin-A instead, saying differin wouldn't have much effect even though I have mild acne. i gonna start applying it tonight, n im bracing myself for the upcoming breakout lol

Hi X Serendipity,

Ah ha! I think I know the problem,

FOr some reason, as a Korean American male, NEUTROGENA PRODUCTS were VERY BAD for my skin. I had to stay away from their sunblock lotion, their soap, face wash, etc.

Use clyndamycin morning AND night, apply on any open acne. You will end up using a LOT of clyndamycin every two months.

For differin, you MUST get the 0.3% I believe.

I tried the .1% and I felt like it was not strong enough some times.

Keep staying in there,

take care of your skin from the sun ,

watch your stress levels and sleeping too :)

Thank you LLLHHK ;) and msankanet!

I was very close to using Acutane but I think Differin sufficed.

Hi Mcmath,

I tried Retin-A for only a short while, I didn't give it much of a chance.

I hated how GREASY my skin felt after applying.

However, my younger sister, girlfriend, and girlfriend's younger brother have ALL tried Retin-A before for longer periods of time and did not see any results,

so I'm wondering if you should give it a few months and if no results, definitely go with Differin

THey all ended up using Differin like me, and saw results :)

Hope this helps and good luck to everyone!

Daniel

Good Day !

i want to ask if that product is available in the Philippines ..eusa_pray.gifeusa_pray.gif

I really want to try that because it's almost class :(