Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
barkersanonymous

Candida/Paleo Diet for 8 months - Need Help

If this is in fact candida you need to eat a veritable fuck-ton of raw veggies. Seriously, the enzymes in raw veggies kills candida like nothing else.

I feel that by this time (9 months), I've probably gotten rid of the candida or anything else I had.

Now, the problem might be entirely due to a sensitivity with something I'm currently eating. Many of the foods I'm eating now are brand new to me (i.e., I did not used to eat them at all before or at least not on a regular basis). I'm highly suspicious of certain veggies (like cauliflower and broccoli) and oils (coconut oil and olive oil), so I'm going to focus on eliminating these foods one by one to see if there's any change. I'm still getting cystic acne and that seems to point to a food sensitivity/intolerance as well.

The good news in all this is that I'm eating extremely well overall and the rest of my body "feels" health-ier.

Edited by barkersanonymous
I feel that by this time (9 months), I've probably gotten rid of the candida or anything else I had.

Now, the problem might be entirely due to a sensitivity with something I'm currently eating. Many of the foods I'm eating now are brand new to me (i.e., I did not used to eat them at all before or at least not on a regular basis). I'm highly suspicious of certain veggies (like cauliflower and broccoli) and oils (coconut oil and olive oil), so I'm going to focus on eliminating these foods one by one to see if there's any change. I'm still getting cystic acne and that seems to point to a food sensitivity/intolerance as well.

The good news in all this is that I'm eating extremely well overall and the rest of my body "feels" health-ier.

Just read your post, you seem diligent enought to handle this:

you might want to check out the wai diet if paleo isn't working for you, its at waisays.com

I've been on it and it takes effort but I think you're already used to that.....I like it, its basically just a raw diet. And I would never take out olive oil, its one of the best things for you. A lot of people have incorporated it into the regimans and gotten clear

Just read your post, you seem diligent enought to handle this:

you might want to check out the wai diet if paleo isn't working for you, its at waisays.com

I've been on it and it takes effort but I think you're already used to that.....I like it, its basically just a raw diet. And I would never take out olive oil, its one of the best things for you. A lot of people have incorporated it into the regimans and gotten clear

Thanks. I will try that if my latest changes don't produce results :) I would be afraid of losing weight on the wai diet though... Also, before I started this current diet, there were a few weeks where I had increased my fruit consumption and started to get more acne. So, over-consumption of fruits is on my list of no-nos.

So, I've kind of figured out that cauliflower was partly to blame. I had recently started eating tons of cauliflower around the end of April and my face became a mess almost immediately after. I figured it was a healing reaction due to the sulfur, but it just continued very aggressively for two months and never stopped AT ALL.

I stopped eating cauliflower 3 weeks ago and now my face is starting to get back to where I was at the end of April. I've decided to refrain from eating anything in the same family: broccoli, kale, and cabbage are the only other things I eat from that family. I usually eat each of these 1-2x a week on their own, so that'd be 3-6x a week all together.

Other than that, I've been eating 50% organic chicken, 10% wild alaskan salmon, and 40% organic beef and everything else is still highly controlled as in my last foods list. If I'm not clear by the of July, I'll probably cut out the beef and switch to 80% chicken and 20% salmon.

As I cut out more stuff, I'm finding that I'm losing weight more easily even though I'm eating A LOT and I'm never hungry. I'm now officially about 5-10 lbs underweight, so I can't keep this up forever :(

Also cutting out coconut chips and carbonated water.

So, I've been looking for a link that would cause cystic acne for me and I can't figure it out. I never used to get cystic acne but it started for me after I had a couple of courses of antibiotics when I got sick. It has been highly localized to my upper cheeks, forehead, and temples. At about the same time, I also started getting non-cystic acne on the sides of my neck that last for 3-6 weeks or months.

All throughout this, neither of these have gone away completely and they always comes back. Probably the most annoying thing is that they come back in the same general area --- and right after it's taken 3-4 months for the leftover marks to clear in that area!

Some random body acne had also started but that went away a few months into the diet. The body acne was probably because I was eating too much crap before.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, it has to be something I'm EATING that's causing the cystic acne. I think the last time I had cystic acne was probably more than 10 years ago and I was eating too much crap back then. It's possible that my body has just become more sensitive to things after getting sick and/or being on antibiotics, so I'm hoping that's what it is and all I need to do is find all them trigger food(s).

I don't think meat could be causing cystic acne, so I'm still holding out on taking out the red meat. For my veggies, I think I cheated once or twice in the past 3.5 weeks by eating onions once and tiny amounts of cabbage and carrots a couple of times. Since cauliflower and onions are possible trigger foods, I'm going to strictly keep them out. As for oils, I've been eating much less, maybe 2-4 TBSP coconut oil per meal. I tried completely getting rid of it and I think I ended up with way too little fat in my diet and my bowels went haywire :(

So, here's my new diet for the next 3 weeks:

- Free range organic meats (50% chicken, 10% salmon, 40% beef)

- Organic green leafy veggies only, no other veggies

- Lemon

- Water

- Sea salt (Real brand)

- Spices

- Coconut oil

I'm trying not to add anything I took out back in until I'm completely clear. Let's hope I get there soon.

Also cutting out coconut chips and carbonated water.

So, I've been looking for a link that would cause cystic acne for me and I can't figure it out. I never used to get cystic acne but it started for me after I had a couple of courses of antibiotics when I got sick. It has been highly localized to my upper cheeks, forehead, and temples. At about the same time, I also started getting non-cystic acne on the sides of my neck that last for 3-6 weeks or months.

All throughout this, neither of these have gone away completely and they always comes back. Probably the most annoying thing is that they come back in the same general area --- and right after it's taken 3-4 months for the leftover marks to clear in that area!

Some random body acne had also started but that went away a few months into the diet. The body acne was probably because I was eating too much crap before.

Anyway, as far as I can tell, it has to be something I'm EATING that's causing the cystic acne. I think the last time I had cystic acne was probably more than 10 years ago and I was eating too much crap back then. It's possible that my body has just become more sensitive to things after getting sick and/or being on antibiotics, so I'm hoping that's what it is and all I need to do is find all them trigger food(s).

I don't think meat could be causing cystic acne, so I'm still holding out on taking out the red meat. For my veggies, I think I cheated once or twice in the past 3.5 weeks by eating onions once and tiny amounts of cabbage and carrots a couple of times. Since cauliflower and onions are possible trigger foods, I'm going to strictly keep them out. As for oils, I've been eating much less, maybe 2-4 TBSP coconut oil per meal. I tried completely getting rid of it and I think I ended up with way too little fat in my diet and my bowels went haywire :(

So, here's my new diet for the next 3 weeks:

- Free range organic meats (50% chicken, 10% salmon, 40% beef)

- Organic green leafy veggies only, no other veggies

- Lemon

- Water

- Sea salt (Real brand)

- Spices

- Coconut oil

I'm trying not to add anything I took out back in until I'm completely clear. Let's hope I get there soon.

Have you been tested for Candida? It can take a very long time to get rid of. Maybe if you have problems digesting it could be the beef? I cut it out and felt so much better for it as I have candida and digestive issues. Just a thought :)

Have you been taking any anti-fungals or probiotics? That may help with candida if diet is not doing the trick.

I think it may be more important to look into other areas if this diet is not working for you. It sounds like there is something else wrong, and you would be better off trying to figure that out than constantly suspecting every food you eat when your diet is already so limited.

I am in a similar situation - have been on a candida diet for about 6 months and seen pretty much no results from it. For the past month though I have been looking into other areas - parasite cleansing, liver flushing, bowel cleansing - and beginning work on these. So far I've been taking a product called Paragone for parasites (which also has anti-fungal ingredients that will fight candida), taking Psillium and Bentonite shakes, doing a coffee enema every 5 or 6 days or so, and did my first liver flush a few weeks ago, will do my second this weekend! :)

I am FINALLY starting to see some improvement from all this - though I've definitely got a ways to go. I guess there is the chance that it is the diet finally working, and I'm sure it has helped and I will definitely continue it, but I think for a lot of us there are areas besides diet we have to address. With candida in particular, if you have very poor digestion due to congested liver and bowels, undigested food sits in your digestive tract and frements, which basically creates a breeding ground for candida and other yucky stuff (I KNOW this is the case for me because every time I do a CE I get a bunch of undigested food out even though I do them at least 12 hours after eating). I think if such an extreme diet is still not working for you after all this time, it may be wise to try treating the environment in your body that is the reason behind diet not working.

Check out posts by the user Denise2 from a few years ago for more info on this - they were very helpful for me. From some of the older posts I've come across it seems like there used to be more discussion here about methods of cleansing and detoxing, and now it's just diet diet diet, which can be frustrating when you've tried everything with diet and nothing works. I think for some of us it is important to look into other ways for treating these internal conditions when diet alone isn't effective.

Sorry for the long rambling post, just some things I am looking into and thinking about recently, hopefully it is helpful in some way.

Guest davidtheskinking

This is good,

The only problem with it though is I didn't see you including any probiotics or foods that contain probiotics in your diet. Candida is a yeast infection and the imbalance needs good bacteria (probiotics) in order to balance itself out. Garlic is good because it fights the bad bacteria and yeast infection (candida) but then you just have dead bad bacteria stagnant in your body! So getting the probiotics in your diet through supplements for food is very important.

Some vegetables that have probiotics are sauerkraut and kim-chi!

Get those in your diet and keep at it,

Hope this helps,

David

Alright, it's been 2 about weeks since I last posted and it looks like cutting out the coconut chips is what has made my cystic acne almost completely go away. So, it looks like the two culprits were cauliflower and coconut chips for cystic acne at least. With this revelation, I'm also cutting out coconut oil and bringing back the olive oil.

I saw your original list and saw many things on there that

give me acne. It looks like from your latest post that you have

been able to get a handle on the situation.

But it looks like you are still considering coconut oil. People claim

it has anti-bacterial properties, but personally this has always given

me acne. I have even tried many of the organic vendors.

Also, why are you ingesting olive oil? I would suggest that you do some

research on essential fatty acids (EFA). There are two fats required by

the body that its cannot manufacture on its own: omega-6 ALA and

omega-6 LA. Oleic acid (the primary fat in olive oil) is not required.

The other omega-3 (EPA/DHA) are suggested for some people because

they cannot generate them in sufficient amounts. The best thing you can

probably do for yourself is to stay away from vegetable oils... almost all

restaurant food will have these. The two supplements that I take are

(1) Barlean's Total Omega and (2) Spectrum Essentials Fish Oil.

You should think about maybe getting the book called "The Clear Skin Diet"

from Loren Cordain. It is an excellent book and will provide a great

path for your diet.

I hardly ever eat meat as it always triggers acne for me regardless

of its source, preparation, or cooking method.

I'm pretty sure the cauliflower isn't the problem. Are you buying it

organic? Are you cooking it alone? Foods like cauliflower and cabbage

are some of the most gentle foods you can eat. The less additives the better.

Edited by sosc

Hahahahahahaha 8 months of strict diet and only 50% improvement. Live your life and stop being so strict. When you go back to your original diet it's going to go back to how it was. 8 months of wasting your life.