Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thirtyforthirty

i am doing this in order to prevent total hysteria

Hello=)

I bring greetings from Singapore(if you know where that is)

This is officially my first post i'm so excited! I saw your Logs and i wanted to follow the most recent ones so we can embark on this accutane journey together. I got my 30mg pills today, waiting on the blood test to start my epic journey to flawless skin! HAHAHA i hope so......

Anyways i dont really know what else to say but the support here has been amazing, so cheers! I'll be starting my accutane soon and i'm sure we will all pull through looking alot like Brad pitt and Angelina Jolie :lol:

Keep us posted and we are always here to encourage you!

hi and welcome! not only do i know where singapore is - i have been there! definitely start your own log to track your course. i cannot overstate how much the support on these boards helps. it is also comforting to know other people are in the same place you are with regard to number of days on accutane, side effects, etc. good luck and keep us posted!!

DAY 22 - so today is....better (fingers crossed i didn't just jinx myself!) it isn't perfect but nothing new has popped up in the last 24 hours and the blemishes i did have seem to be drying pretty quickly. there are still definitely things i am not loving, like the acne on my forehead, which i never have. but hopefully that's all part of the process, clearing everything out forever. i'm trying so hard not to touch my face and i would say i have been 60% successful on this. i notice that the odds of me touching my face are much higher when i am stressed or i am having a particularly anxiety-ridden phone conversation etc. i really want to work on not touching my face at all - not just while i am on accutane but going forward in life. i have been WAY too guilty of that in the past. other than the the side effects are okay - dry eyes (using eyedrops), lips are ok (hourly applications of aquaphor to thank for that), skin is dry but manageable with enough moisturizer, hair is different - today is the first day in my adult life (other than times i was very sick) that i did not wash my hair in the shower. i didn't need to. i don't necessarily view this as a wonderful development the way everyone else seems to - i love washing my hair. i love taking care of my hair and it has been consistently the "healthiest" thing about me for my whole life. honestly, i often think that the health and shine of my hair is to compensate for my skin issues. also it is really long and black so it gets a lot of comments. anyway, i guess i will just accept not washing it everyday so that it doesn't dry out more than it will no matter what i do while on accutane.

on another note, i wonder why these boards are so addictive. i mean i find them very comforting and everyone's support is really going a long way to keep me sane but i wonder if i am precipitating some sort of neuroses by reading these all the time, posting, etc. it's not going to stop me from doing it but i wonder what would happen if i didn't obsess over my side effects and how many new spots emerge in any given day. i definitely think the boards are worth it for the advice and the support and the comfort in knowing you are not the only person living with this frustration, living with the decision to take this very powerful drug because you have nothing left to try. the stories of success are what convinced me. knowing this is going to be hard, knowing it will be up and down - being crazy enough to sign up for a course of treatment with a possible side effect of depression!! hair loss! early-onset arthritis! - that is inconceivable to some people. but not here. (also: those side effects have yet to show themselves to me in a way that would make me think twice about starting accutane) it's not vanity, it's not skin obsession, it is people who are all in the same boat. i love that about this community. so yeah, i'm into it. i hope everyone else is doing well.

Hello=)

This is officially my first post i'm so excited! I saw your Logs and i wanted to follow the most recent ones so we can embark on this accutane journey together. I got my 30mg pills today, waiting on the blood test to start my epic journey to flawless skin! HAHAHA i hope so......

Anyways i dont really know what else to say but the support here has been amazing, so cheers! I'll be starting my accutane soon and i'm sure we will all pull through looking alot like Brad pitt and Angelina Jolie :lol:

hi and welcome! not only do i know where singapore is - i have been there! definitely start your own log to track your course. i cannot overstate how much the support on these boards helps. it is also comforting to know other people are in the same place you are with regard to number of days on accutane, side effects, etc. good luck and keep us posted!!

Hello=)

You've been to Singapore? How did u find it? Its really really really hot here, i hate it. Its Day 22! gratz! I actually cant wait to start on mine. I also wanted to ask you when did you start having dry eyes and lips? How long is your course?

Cheers

Hello=)

Hello=)

You've been to Singapore? How did u find it? Its really really really hot here, i hate it. Its Day 22! gratz! I actually cant wait to start on mine. I also wanted to ask you when did you start having dry eyes and lips? How long is your course?

Cheers

I have been to Singapore - a few years ago and it was for work so I didn't get to see that much of it but I liked what I saw! It is actually day 23 for me! Gotta get that extra day in the count! I started having dry lips maybe two days into it but I have been obsessively applying Aquaphor so it hasn't been that bad. Skin hasn't been too, too dry but again, obsessively applying moisturizer. The past few days I have had significant skin clearing and more dryness but that is a price i am more than willing to pay for no acne!

Hey Hey,

I'm starting my medication tmr!! wish me luck! Hmm how long more do you have on accutane? I am roughly 6-7 months? Does it mean that a faster dosage would require less time? Sorry im such a new bie at this! Do you get dry eyes? I needa prepare for the side effects!!

Cheers

Hey Hey,

I'm starting my medication tmr!! wish me luck! Hmm how long more do you have on accutane? I am roughly 6-7 months? Does it mean that a faster dosage would require less time? Sorry im such a new bie at this! Do you get dry eyes? I needa prepare for the side effects!!

Cheers

Good luck! it hasn't been nearly as scary as i thought it would be with the side effects, etc. i will be on it for 5-6 months depending on my progress - bumping up to 40 mg next week and then I think I will stay on that dose for the rest of my course...I do get dry eyes but i use really moisturizing eye drops and those last at least 12 hours so it hasn't been a problem. get some aquaphor or some heavy duty lip treatment and be prepared for an enormous increase in how much water you drink every day! i have never been so thirsty!!

DAY 25 - wow, it feels longer than that. but i guess it is only day 25. anyway, this is quite the roller coaster. every day my skin changes, sometimes it changes throughout the day! one day it is good, the next it is bad, one day i wake up with no new actives and things feel really good, the next i can actually feel things coming out on my cheek (this actually happened to me during dinner with my boyfriend the other night - it felt like itchy skin on my cheek but then i touched it and it turned out to be a few pimples who apparently appeared and joined us for the rest of our meal). nothing really horrific at the moment although i am definitely using cover up etc. i have a few small pimples on my forehead, which is still hard for me because i never, ever broke out there. other than that i would say they are concentrated on my lower cheeks/jawline. eyes still sting but using eyedrops, lips are okay still (knock wood, this has NOT been an issue for me at all!) and skin is drier but not parched or really peeling...drinking tons of water. so, so much water. last night when i got home from class my skin was bothering me so i used a dr. haushka revitalizing mask which is really moisturizing and that seemed to calm things down for the moment. have noticed more hair falling out, yes, but now only washing it every other day. so i have a few more days on 30 mg and then i am bumped up to 40 and hope that dosn't precipitate a huge breakout because i am leaving the country for work for about ten days at the beginning of july and i REALLY don't want to deal with feeling very insecure about my skin on top of the stress of intense work trips. we'll see. fingers crossed! hope everyone else is doing well!!

OK it's officially day 3 for me here. Quite frustrated as I am not getting any side effects or Anything like that:( I've been anxiously preparing my lipbalm in anticipation of dry lips of any sought. I don't feel thirsty at all! Ok maybe it's because I drink alot of water everyday even before I started accutane. What is your diet like? I am a very outdoor person so I normally watch what I eat. If I recall correctly, some threads stated they could eat any type of food and as much as they want as it doesn't really matter since they are on accutane? Do you know anything about this?

Btw do you live in London! Wimbledon is starting soon and I am an avid tennis fan! Sadly this medication keeps me from playing in the sun:(

DAY 28 - today is the first day i took a 40 mg pill. right now my skin is just blah. i don't really know what to say about it. it is definitely doing a lot of things at once. have been averaging about one new active a day, sometimes two. the dryness has increased a lot in the past week. i now have a little "arsenal" on my desk at all times now - water, aquaphor (which i apply once every 20 mins or so, no joke), moisturizer (which i apply when i feel like my face is tight) and bio oil, which i just started using at I like it so far...the lips have definitely reached that "gummy" stage because i am using so much aquaphor but they still feel dry at times. using eyedrops once every few hours. have noticed i am sweating a lot more - even when it isn't hot. is this just me? have noticed I am losing more hair than normal but i'm trying not to stress about this too much...also i know that even asking this will elicit "ARE YOU CRAZY!?" responses but i will ask anyway - i really need to get my arms waxed. i mean seriously i can't deal. is this the stupidest idea ever? i get it done every three months or so and i can't ignore it any longer. i've been on accutane for a month now - has anyone ever waxed hair not on their face and had it turn out ok?

DAY 29 - second day of 40 mg. not much has changed skin-wise. I made my roommate inspect my face under very bright lights last night and she was basically like yeah, i see where you're breaking out but i can also say I have seen your skin much worse than it is now. so it is neither great nor horrible. Other than that I am incredibly, incredibly tired. and my body aches. I feel like I am 90 years old.

Yes, I found the first month on Accutane pretty tough...but it DOES get better and it will clear your skin, so hang in there!

(no advice on the waxing...I find it too painful at the best of times!)

DAY 32 - so things are looking up. the bump up to 40 mg has been noticeable but not in a horrible way. my skin is clearing up (no new actives in two days!) and i'm just moisturizing more. the exhaustion to which i referred is probably due to my sleep schedule, which allows for about four to five hours a night max...not ideal but also not accutane's fault. i am drinking more water than i've ever done in my whole life but that's a good thing! somehow i still have managed to avoid dry lips. this might be a christmas miracle (a few months early). anyway, i'm feeling really good about the course right now and i am looking forward to the first weekend i have had off in sooooooo long! i hope you all have a great weekend and everyone is doing well! xoxo

Day 37 - Almost at day 40! yay. anyway it has been just over a week since my dose was increased to 40 mg a day. I have noticed my skin is more dry but nothing horrific. not TOO many new actives though I did have a few (perhaps related to hormones). my face appears redder to me but nobody else seems to think so. i have had a few hard bumps (nothing in them) that have been around for several weeks now - they started off feeling like zits and now they are just there. mostly under my jawline but i wonder when they will decide to leave. i am ready for them to do that. other than that not much news. i miss sitting in the sun during the summer. i hate ordering a glass of milk with which to take my pill at brunch with a bunch of 30 year olds drinking bloody marys. i suppose it is all worth it for clear skin though. waiting for a true breakthrough. any day now i hope!!!

Edited by thirtyforthirty

DAY 42 - is it possible that every area of my face has its own initial breakout? at different times? because that is what i am feeling right now. also definitely noticed a (bad) change in skin when I was bumped up to 40 about a week and a half ago. many more actives. i'm trying not to stress. but i'm also over seeing new actives appear on the hour. boo.

DAY 51 - so I have been on 40 mg for three weeks now. skin is...not bad. it goes up and down and i was still getting active spots at least once a day until just a few days ago, when things started to clear up pretty consistently across the board - i have two actives at this point - one right under my jaw line (so it is not really noticeable) and one above my left eyebrow, which isn't bad at all. other than that just marks and dry skin in places so I am moisturizing even more. but i have to say - right now my skin is clearer than it has been in a LONG time. i'm sure that won't hold for the rest of my course and in a week i'll be back on this board cursing accutane but right now i am quite pleased. i cannot over-emphasize how much scarier the IDEA of taking accutane is than actually taking it - the side effects are not nearly as bad as I imagined they would be and even the breakouts i have experienced at the beginning/when i was bumped up have been worth it if my skin is going to end up clear. today i am feeling really optimistic about accutane. i hope everyone else is doing well (if anyone reads this!) xoxo

Hey! I've been following your log, and it's brought me a lot of hope and comfort! I think we're about the same age...

I've been noticing more of my hair shedding than usual. Did you notice this too? Did it stop after your body got used to the drug? Or has it continued? I'm feeling nervous about it, as mine has been shedding more than usual. I'm about to start my fourth week.

Hope you're doing well!

Hi thirtyforthirty I am 29 and have been dealing with breakouts for the last few years. I experience pustals (?) just a slightly red bump that sticks around for weeks i dont believe its cystic but I have been on birth control sprinolactin and now antibiotics for some time and while I may only get one of these lumps once a month since they stick around for 3 to 4 weeks and usually leave a red mark even tho i don't pick. Anyway a friend used accutane and said it was no big deal a little dry. I know it works different for everyone but so long as im not walking around with my face peeling off i figured I could suck it up but if I have to walk around with a scaly flaky face I may have to pass. I would really love to finally be done with this. i will continue to followur progress

thanks

Overit29 - definitely not as bad as i thought it would be regarding dry skin/peeling/etc. however - this may be because i have been EXTREMELY neurotic about moisturizing/aquaphoring since a few days before my course even started. i apply moisturizer about once an hour and aquaphor to my lips probably twice an hour. i have had dry patches but nothing horrible at all. it has definitely been worth it. i am still wearing makeup, too. i just use a very gentle cleanser and good moisturizer before. if your skin is something that bothers you so much you are reading these logs, etc i would def. talk to your derm about accutane. not nearly as scary as some would make it sound.

di5648 - re hair: yes, i have noticed i am losing more hair than normal but i have a lot of hair to lose! i don't love that side effect and i think it gets better as the course goes on but either way, it's not gone forever, so that's a small comfort. i am being extra gentle with my hair and not using harsh tools, products, etc. and combing it instead of brushing it. hope that helps.

otherwise, things are pretty, pretty good here. nothing to complain about right now. minimal actives in the past week and i'm generally feeling more confident about my complexion for the first time in FOREVER!! hope everyone else is well!

DAY 60 - that feels like some sort of milestone, even if i still have about 100 days to go. Still taking 40mg and still doing okay - I am having a brief flare up of hormonal acne due to the time of the month but it isn't horrific. skin is dry, especially once a zit has deflated and is healing up - my skin in those spots is really flakey and needs constant moisture. this makes the whole covering up of zits a bit of an issue but nothing too, too bad. other than that i am definitely achey and exhausted in the evenings and i am drinking more water than i ever have. i think i am staying on 40 mg for one more month then probably getting bumped up to 60 mg for the remainder of my course. so i don't know if i will experience any improvement in month three since the dose will stay the same? any thoughts on this? hope everyone else is well!

DAY 66 - i don't think anyone reads my log but oh well! nothing too exciting to report. skin has been good considering time of month, etc. i haven't stopped getting actives yet, though. i have one real one right now but it's not horrific. i don't really want to get bumped up to 60 mg when I go to my derm appt next week because I broke out when I was bumped from 30 to 40...what is the month most people start looking at their reflections thinking "wow, my skin looks GREAT!" ?? also has anyone had threading done on accutane? thanks and hope all is well with everyone!

DAY 66 - i don't think anyone reads my log but oh well! nothing too exciting to report. skin has been good considering time of month, etc. i haven't stopped getting actives yet, though. i have one real one right now but it's not horrific. i don't really want to get bumped up to 60 mg when I go to my derm appt next week because I broke out when I was bumped from 30 to 40...what is the month most people start looking at their reflections thinking "wow, my skin looks GREAT!" ?? also has anyone had threading done on accutane? thanks and hope all is well with everyone!

I read it! Your log was starting right when I was making my final decision to go on accutane. :) Keep it up and congrats on getting to month 3. I'm a month behind you.

Oh, and I thread! Unfortunately I am by nature a hairy girl (gosh acne AND hair!), and there's just no way I'm going 6+ months without hair removal. Threading is ok because it doesn't pull the skin, but you might be a little more red than normal so I would do it at the end of your workday when you can just go home after or something. I also have been using Nair on my legs and body because normally I wax. If I shave I would have stubble by the end of the day. I get the one for sensitive skin. The hair removal thing is killin me, I can't wait to be able to wax again.

Edited by No_ones_secret

DAY 77 - Thanks, guys. Always nice to check in and see that other people are reading. I read these boards almost every day but don't always comment - I still find this site to be a very positive support system! So I went to the derm on Friday and she saw a few small actives and said I should bump up to 60 mg in a week. I am not very excited about this because i REALLY don't want to go through another breakout like I did when I bumped up to 40 mg. I have been on accutane for over two and a half months - will my bump to 60 make my skin go crazy? my derm said it probably would NOT since I have the drug in my system anyway but just wondering what others have experienced...right now my skin is looking pretty good. i only have one active and it's not even that bad. the speed with which my skin heals right now is insane - so fast!! hope everyone else is doing well!

I don't think you will experience another breakout when you up your dosage. If you do, it will be very minor compared to your IB but should pass quickly.

I just wanted to say that I'm reading your log also! ;) Keep it up and good luck on your dosage increase. I think you should be fine. And regardless, just think-the Final Outcome is what matters.