Jump to content
Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

You’ll be the first person ever if you get Vit A deficiency showing in a blood test. Done too many blood tests showing bugger all unfortunately 

You said it yourself- metabolism!! If you can learn more about it than that might be the key.

Some say yes, they feel better after taking Vit A, others on the “carnivore” diet will say avoid it like the plague!!

I’m undecided at this stage on Vit A - I’m 20 years post poisoning and don’t mind experimenting or at least was experimenting - My kinesiologist is leading me in what I take currently 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I`m just very afraid after i read this: https://www.drugs.com/answers/can-accutane-cause-leukemia-360619.html

I got my blood test today, blood is fine, liver is is parameters.

I know that leukemia is something cannot be prevented and the cause are not well known, but what you suggest me to do now? I can`t live with that. I`m fine now, i don`t have any side effects. 

I took two courses of accutane, first was about 1,5 years ago, about 5 months, which i took around 30 mg per day at 80 kg, and the second one was 7 months ago, about 5-6 months, which i took 40 mg per day, at same weight.

I will never use this drug again after i read that. I wouldn`t used it if i knew leukemia can be a very rare side effect.

So what you suggest me now to prevent this? I`m looking for detoxifying my body with some supplements, in this way i hope i will eliminate entire accutane which is deposited on the fat, liver, colon. Any other suggestions?
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
@DogBB7 Honestly, your life will probably be better if you forget that you took Accutane and carry on as usual. If you didn't get permanent side effects from the drug, you're probably going to be just fine.  No one can really say what the increase in risk for developing leukemia is after taking Accutane (probably extremely low) and no one can make a recommendation specifically on what to do to lower that risk after the fact.

Possibly just try eating clean and living clean. And count your blessings that you don't have severe permanent side effects,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You'll be fine, just get on with your life, forget this forum and forget you ever took accutane. If you've got no side effects to remind you that you took it, that should be pretty easy. 

16 hours ago, TrueJustice said:

You’ll be the first person ever if you get Vit A deficiency showing in a blood test. Done too many blood tests showing bugger all unfortunately 

You said it yourself- metabolism!! If you can learn more about it than that might be the key.

Some say yes, they feel better after taking Vit A, others on the “carnivore” diet will say avoid it like the plague!!

I’m undecided at this stage on Vit A - I’m 20 years post poisoning and don’t mind experimenting or at least was experimenting - My kinesiologist is leading me in what I take currently 

Ive been taking beta carotene for a week. Only difference I've noticed is that my skin is slightly less dry.........I think, I don't know if it's all in my head anymore.

No adverse affects what so ever. I think I made a mistake avoiding it for so many years, it's an essential vitamin, why should I not let my body have it ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I think this next post could have some importance as there are literally new discoveries every day on the subject.
This article is as old as yesterday.
We know acne doesn't come back in 80%+ in people treated with just one course of Accutane.

Gut bacteria recover from antibiotics, but they may take six months

But there's a drop in species diversity, and some species never reappear.

CATHLEEN O'GRADY - 10/28/2018, 8:00 AM

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/10/gut-bacteria-recover-from-antibiotics-but-they-may-take-six-months/

"12 men were able to recover to a mostly normal microbiome level within six months. Nine species of gut dwellers, though, never reappeared; instead, there were some undesirable species of bacteria that managed to take hold."

and this was a 4 day treatment period...

To me, this is what's still left to be discovered. Everything is manipulating this.
Also forgot about when you see the word "gut", obviously it goes much beyond that. Edited by guitarman01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is someone going to bite the bullet and get a “poo transplant”???

That’s the ultimate gut healer I’ve been told

If that don’t work, what hope is there!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/29/2018 at 11:41 PM, TrueJustice said:

Is someone going to bite the bullet and get a “poo transplant”???

That’s the ultimate gut healer I’ve been told

If that don’t work, what hope is there!!!

I read one guys accutane story who had this done, said it didn't really do anything. 

My skin is definitely feeling a better texture even after such a short time taking BC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Justdry said:
I read one guys accutane story who had this done, said it didn't really do anything. 

My skin is definitely feeling a better texture even after such a short time taking BC. 



Interesting - please keep us updated on the progress with beta - Carotene
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I finished my Accutane course a month ago. I was on Accutane for 7 months. 20mg for one month and 40mg for 6 months.
After finishing my course I experienced dizziness, confusion, blurry vision, fatigue, and low libido. I started panicking and researched what could be wrong. I had such a big shock when I found so many people with the same problems who have been going through this for years. 

I then went on a diet but that didn't help. I did blood tests that showed I had low iron levels. I then supplemented with iron and  went on a new diet with red meat (no vitamin a), rice, baked beans and sweet corn and fruits and vegetables. And after a week the dizziness was completely gone, my energy levels were back my erection was back and ejeculation was back to normal. 
Now I'm back on my normal diet but the symptoms came back. 

That diet had no vitamin a in it. Removing vitamin a was what helped me recover. But the moment I started eating normal again all my symptoms came back. 

My gp also said that hair loss can be iron deficiency. 

I'm going to try my diet again and see what happens. Does anyone know any other way to ease the symptoms atleast?? 






Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I posted this awhile back when I started a new topic.
https://www.honeycolony.com/article/accutane-cancer-acne/

How Accutane, A Cancer And Acne Drug, Threatened My Life

Posted on Aug 27, 2017
 

Fecal transplants are only fda approved in the states for c.diff.
Also doesn't seem very practical. 
I think they are finding new comparable ways that don't require a transplant.
I dont really see this as a solution though because its not a targeted approach.

 

Edited by guitarman01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that article- how accurate is it!!!
pretty much sums up our situation perfectly, right down to the frustration of communicating with doctors till you’re blue in the face.
He also talks of the frustration of tests never finding anything but all the while he knows somethings wrong - GUT/DIET

It’s becoming extremely clear that improving diet and gut health whilst not a complete cure goes a hell of a long way to improving our condition and making life bearable again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gatu77777 said:

I finished my Accutane course a month ago. I was on Accutane for 7 months. 20mg for one month and 40mg for 6 months.
After finishing my course I experienced dizziness, confusion, blurry vision, fatigue, and low libido. I started panicking and researched what could be wrong. I had such a big shock when I found so many people with the same problems who have been going through this for years. 

I then went on a diet but that didn't help. I did blood tests that showed I had low iron levels. I then supplemented with iron and  went on a new diet with red meat (no vitamin a), rice, baked beans and sweet corn and fruits and vegetables. And after a week the dizziness was completely gone, my energy levels were back my erection was back and ejeculation was back to normal. 
Now I'm back on my normal diet but the symptoms came back. 

That diet had no vitamin a in it. Removing vitamin a was what helped me recover. But the moment I started eating normal again all my symptoms came back. 

My gp also said that hair loss can be iron deficiency. 

I'm going to try my diet again and see what happens. Does anyone know any other way to ease the symptoms atleast?? 





 

It's not the vitamin A - it's something else you're getting or doing on that diet - or something that doesn't agree with you when you go back to your normal diet. I can pretty much guarantee that it isn't the vitamin A in food causing the issues. 

Many of us, like myself, have gone years without consuming vitamin A and it doesn't change a thing. You more than likely have vitamin A deficiency after accutane, so avoiding it will make things worse in the long run. I don't buy into the long term vitamin A toxicity theory, i think our bodies have a lack of it or don't know how to use it properly after accutane. It's an essential vitamin, we shouldn't stop consuming it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Justdry said:
It's not the vitamin A - it's something else you're getting or doing on that diet - or something that doesn't agree with you when you go back to your normal diet. I can pretty much guarantee that it isn't the vitamin A in food causing the issues. 

Many of us, like myself, have gone years without consuming vitamin A and it doesn't change a thing. You more than likely have vitamin A deficiency after accutane, so avoiding it will make things worse in the long run. I don't buy into the long term vitamin A toxicity theory, i think our bodies have a lack of it or don't know how to use it properly after accutane. It's an essential vitamin, we shouldn't stop consuming it. 

 
Hey man,

i have identical problem with skin. Top layer doesnt regenerate all. Tried all types of moist, doesnt help at all. (4 layers at night to not die for next day of dry) I just trying hyaluric acid as suplement and sérum too.

i am not sure about high vit. A. Forx for me - i eat a lot of fish(tuna etc), o r pure omega in fish oil and my side eff were much worse. Not 100% sure it is from it, but i think my body is more sensitive on vit a. What beta carrotene you it? Suplement or from food?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, guitarman01 said:

I posted this awhile back when I started a new topic.
https://www.honeycolony.com/article/accutane-cancer-acne/

How Accutane, A Cancer And Acne Drug, Threatened My Life

Posted on Aug 27, 2017
 

Fecal transplants are only fda approved in the states for c.diff.
Also doesn't seem very practical. 
I think they are finding new comparable ways that don't require a transplant.
I dont really see this as a solution though because its not a targeted approach.

 

That guy's story sounds close to mine. I have to try and avoid FODMAPS and don't digest fats well.

So many of my problems are related to leaky gut and it's frustrating that I had to discontinue the only supplement that has worked great for me (L-Glutamine) because it gave me short term neurological damage.

I've been looking into how L-Glutamine differs from other leaky gut supplements that are less effective and I wonder if it might come down to the fact that L-Glutamine transactivates the Epidermal Growth Factor receptor.

L-Glutamine protects tight junctions in Caco-2 cell monolayers and human colonic mucosa from acetaldehyde-induced permeability change and redistribution of tight junction and adherens junction proteins from the intercellular junctions. This protective effect of L-glutamine appears to be mediated by the transactivation of EGF receptor leading to activation of PKC and MAPK.

EGF is really important for the gut and actually there are anti-EGF therapies for fighting cancer that result in symptoms similar to mine like seborrheic dermatitis, folliculitis, and weird hair changes.

So far I've discovered that Lactobacillus Rhamnosus GG apparently can protect the intestine in a similar manner to L-glutamine so I've ordered some of that. Still on the lookout for other supplements that behave similarly.

I'm also going to be getting some Molybdenum which can clear out Acetaldehyde and see if it does anything. Acetaldehyde is the most toxic metabolite of ethanol and is also produced by bad bugs in your gut. It's quite bad for intestinal integrity and I know drinking alcohol has been terrible for my gut. Also, Acetaldehyde deactives delta-6-desaturase which causes problems with seborrheic dermatitis.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah there definitely are some good supplements out there for the gut and in particular leaky gut.

Im also learning that it’s critical to get off dairy to properly heal the gut - I’ve found this hard as I like milk in coffee and I like cheese.

I’m with you on the alcohol, I wake up feeling horrible in the gut in particular the next day, even after only a few drinks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

replace the term "leaky gut" with "intestinal permeability" and you'll find a lot of credible information on the subject.
you see alot of this is very recent information.


Leaky Gut As a Danger Signal for Autoimmune Diseases - NCBI - NIH
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5440529/
by Q Mu - ‎2017 - ‎Cited by 46 - ‎Related articles

May 23, 2017 - Numerous factors can affect gut permeability, such as various ... focus on their association with extraintestinal autoimmune diseases, such as ...
 
by MC Smyth - ‎2017 - ‎Cited by 1 - ‎Related articles
Nov 28, 2017 - The inducer of autoimmune responses related to the gut is most likely to be microbiota dysbiosis leading to increased intestinal permeability. ... The microbiota offers protection by repressing pathogenic growth and prevention against allergy and disease by regulating the immune system (Guarner and Malagelada, 2003).
by IFM Join - ‎Related articles
The autoimmune process shuts off, and, consequently, the intestinal damage heals completely. ... Besides celiac disease, several other autoimmune diseases, including type 1 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, and rheumatoid arthritis, are characterized by increased intestinal permeability.
Edited by guitarman01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you think the fat absorption issue many of us have post tane is more due to gut health, liver/gallbladder related or Vit A issues??

I’d love to know the origin of this problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, TrueJustice said:

Do you think the fat absorption issue many of us have post tane is more due to gut health, liver/gallbladder related or Vit A issues??

I’d love to know the origin of this problem


Good question. I also suffer from fat malabsorbtion post accutane (for more than 8 years now...) and I have tried every available probiotic & L-Glutamine with zero results.

Studies like this one confuse me even more...(i.e. "Isotretinoin had no significant effect on the faecal microbiota").

One thing that I noticed - while checking lab tests during my treatment - was increased bilirubin level...so maybe you are right by saying that Accutane can cause (permanent?) damage to liver, gallbladder & the whole biliary system. Edited by VanceAstro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you can find much conflicting information on Accutane's effect on microbes.

"high levels of antibiotic-resistant  P. acnes were recorded in each patients’ skin microbiota before, during and after treatment. In this study, microbial composition of the skin appears substantially altered by isotretinoin treatment, which clearly has differential antimicrobial effects on each anatomically distinct site. Our study confirmed that orally administered isotretinoin shows good efficacy in the resolution of moderate to severe acne that correlates with reductions in the number of P. acnes on the skin, including resistant isolates"
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5524737/


The effects of systemic isotretinoin and antibiotic therapy on the microbial floras in patients with acne vulgaris.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22239608

Systemic isotretinoin and antibiotic treatments in acne patients precisely caused variations in the microbial floras of several sites of the body, while isotretinoin was commonly more responsible than antibiotics. 

So Accutane was maybe more effective as an antimicrobial then antibiotics themselves.

 

Edited by guitarman01

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m currently working on fixing HPA Axis with Kinesiologist 

I knew all these things seperately but didn’t know there was a term for it.

Goes a long way to explaining everything from a rough sleep to chronic fatigue to parasite issues etc etc 
 
Don’t know if it’s been talked about before on here but this is what we are trying to repair right now!!

 

Edited by TrueJustice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello guys..... I also took accutane recently and have severe depression and sexual problems...its really stressing me out. 

@truejustice 
thats a good idea sorting out your HPA axis....Research shows that mifepristone can normalize that which was caused by retanoic acid.

https://www.nature.com/articles/tp201398

Edited by chetty23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to try a paleo diet and supplement with ox bile, vitamin c, d and zinc. 
I'm also going to start working out. 

Has anyone tried this before? 
Also I don't think vitamin a is the problem. Its definitely diet. 
And Is anyone suffering from constipation? 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if there are any tane users in Brisbane, Australia who want to have a chat about the side effects? I feel like I'm on my own here. Would be nice to share experiences with some people.

MT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

update on beta carotene. 

No adverse effects - feel like my anxiety is getting a bit better, less jaw clenching. 

However, i've started getting regular whiteheads around my mouth and my chin area which i haven't had in years. Don't know why that would be =/ My skin is still really red and dry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys,
I was taking isotretinoin for almost 2 months (20mg / day) and I started to feel severe pain in my legs muscles and joints. I stopped taking the pills but unfortunetaly the pain does not want to quit. What can I do? 

I assume there is an answer somewhere in this topic but 650 pages is a huge wall to find interesting information in certain case. 

Any advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Personalized Advice Quiz - All of Acne.org in just a few minutes

×