Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted (edited)

Alright, so here's my problem:

A year ago I was out in the sun all summer without sunscreen and ended up getting really bad sunburns all summer long. In addition to that, I was breaking out pretty badly at the time, so the sunburn like burned the marks from the acne into my skin? However that could be explained. Anyway, I then had a face covered in hundreds of hideous red marks! I hated life and still do.

Fortunately, within the past year, I've been able to get my red marks about 80% better than what they were, which is a miracle to me! It's been hell, but well worth it.

So now's the tricky part, summer is coming again (Couldn't come at a worse time), and I'm concerned that the sun will somehow make my current red marks worse and take me back to having a horrible looking face (Just when my face is ALMOST back to normal).

So what do I do to avoid this goddamn sun? Because I know I will be out in the sun everyday hanging out with my friends, so it's not like I can just avoid going outside.

Every morning I put a prescribed topical on my face that helps my red marks, so if I use sun screen, can I still apply that topical and see results? Or will the sun screen counter my red mark topical and make it useless? Or vice versa?

Is there any possible way to avoid getting tan from the sun, because I know if my skin gets tan, that my red marks will most likely just get worse, and I CANNOT let that happen at any cost.

So in closing, what's the best sun screen to get that will fucking battle the sun?

-Thanks

Edited by Symmetry

Posted
So what do I do to avoid this goddamn sun? Because I know I will be out in the sun everyday hanging out with my friends, so it's not like I can just avoid going outside.

-Thanks

It's widely known that accumulated exposure to the sun's uva/uvb light will damage your skin, whether or not you have acne scars. I don't know if the sun will worsen hyperpigmentation of existing scars, but it'll harm your skin. If you're going out, try to avoid being in direct sunlight from 10-4, when the rays are at their most intense. If you have to be out during those hours, apply sunscreen/block 20-30 minutes before leaving. Be prepared to reapply every 2 hours. You should take facial wipes with you to make reapplication easier. Don't forget to apply sunblock to any skin that's exposed to the sun. Acne scars suck, but skin cancer sucks more. There is loose powder makeup with high SPF, but don't rely on it to give you the full coverage that you'll need.

I have oily, moderate acne skin with scarring. I like Neutrogena's UltraSheer liquid spf 55 sunblock. It goes on dry and reapplication is okay, but you'll need a facial wipe to reapply the third and subsequent times. It's more expensive than many drugstore sunblocks at 13-14 dollars per 1.4 ounces. Another famous and high rated sunblock comes from La Roche Posay. Look for its Mexoryl containing sunscreens. Again, it's expensive at around $28 for 3 ounces, I believe. The most important thing about sunscreen won't be the fancy label; it will depend on how you apply it and how often. There's no such thing as an all-day sunscreen. That's a gimmick. If price is a deterrent, find something that's within your price range, but REAPPLY.

Best of luck to you

Sincerely,

Edward Cullen

Posted

^ Basically what charlie/Edward Cullen said @_@

Also make sure you get a broad spectrum sunscreen (blocks UVA and UVB rays). Can you switch your topical use to night? If you're going to apply, I'd apply topical first, then sunscreen (and if you have time, you can wait after applying the topical to give it time to sink into your skin).

Or you could wear a hat.

Personally, I just use the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch sunblock, face and body. For face, it goes on after my moisturizer and before my makeup. My makeup is SPF and PA rated also, but I really only use it on certain spots so I still use sunblock under it. Plus I work inside all day so I am not that worried about the sun, but if you're going to be out in it all day, you definitely want to reapply.

Posted

Wear a wide brimmed hat.

Posted

Thanks a lot for the replies guys.

So I ended up picking up a 30 SPF one, but today I forgot to apply it when going somewhere and the absolute worst happened...I got a fucking sunburn!

I'm beyond pissed right now, because I've worked hard to get my red marks to the point that they are at now, and if this sunburn just brought them back to how bad they used to be, I'm going to be fucking furious. Parts of my face look all pink and I have no idea what to do to make my skin go back to normal. I can't really tell yet if it made my face look worse, it just looks more pink. I heard that if your red marks are atleast over 6 months old that nothing will likely happen, but I'm of course still concerned...

I took three Advils and applied some Aloe Vera for now. Is there anything else I can do? How long should I apply Aloe Vera for? Can I still apply my red mark topical and benzoyl peroxide in the morning and night? This is so fucked up....

Posted

Sun burn might make your marks worse, but sun exposure only makes them seem worse in my opinion.

When your skin burns, that's damage fullstop

When you expose your skin to the sun for a limited period of time on a daily basis, that's vitamin Dwhich really helps your skin heal.

It's true that the marks might appear to be getting darker, but from my experience, they eventually just blend in with your skin color and disappear.

Just make sure you're not using anything (like lemon) that makes your skin really sensitive to the sun- now that would be pretty bad.