Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GreenEyes33

My goal: clear skin by the end of summer 2011! And it's working!!

your freaking inspiring me. im only 14 and my skin is horriblee and ive tried lots, except for changing my diet.

its just soooo hard. ive never eaten a salad before and i want to be gluten free, but then..what do i eat? my house is full of junk foods and meats. but i will stop at nothing to be clear.

OHHHH AND i want to be clear before 10th grade, so i have 2 months and a half to get clearr!

how long did you notice a difference in your acne when you started eating healthy???

AND;

i have really oily skin, will eating healthy stop the genetics of my oily skin?

when will i notice a difference??

and is it good to be on dans regimen?

Well don't wait 9 more years like I did. I wasted a lot of time with acne!

You dont really HAVE to be gluten free unless you're actually allergic to gluten. I'm not a doctor, but here are my suggestions for you:

-Dont eat junk! Chips, chocolate, pop, all of that contributes to an unhealthy body. When your bodys unhealthy you get acne. Acne isn't an isolated skin condition. First thing you need to do is to just stop eating junk until you're clear. When you're clear, follow a 90% healthy, 10% fun food rule.

-Eat a low carb diet. I started by just eating a one pieced bread sandwhich (before I knew I was gltuen intolerant)...just slowly cut back on your bread and pasta. Brown rice is great, but not in massive quantities.

-Eat lots of fish (esp salmon), chicken, turkey, eggs, almonds, veggies, fruits. Drink lots of water and green tea. Try to avoid coffee. Red meat is okay once in a while!

-Cut back on dairy. Definitely dont drink milk. Limit cheese and yogurt and things like that! Butter is fine though, especially for cooking.

-Make sure to get a full 8 hours of sleep every night, and sleep in total darkness. Even a little bit of light can upset your natural rythem. Go to bed by 10 or 11 at night and try and be up by 7-9 am.

-Dont eat after 8 pm and try and just eat something light (or nothing at all) for breakfast. A piece of fruit or an egg or even some veggies if you're really hungry, but if you can hold off eating breakfast until 10 am thats ideal because it gives your body more time to work on healing your acne and less time digesting foods.

-Make sure you're not deficient in any vitamins. Do you get a lot of sunshine where you live? If not, look into taking a good vitamin d3 softgel cap at about 3000 IU per day. It really helped me, but then again we dont get much sun here.

-Personally, I wouldnt do Dan's regimine. I dont think theres a need for harsh chemcials and stuff like that on you're face. Dont use any acne treatments or perscriptions, and try and stay off birth control. I just use 100% pure jojoba oil to remove makeup, and then some gentle cetaphil to wash. Any pimples I just use 100% tea tree oil to spot treat with using a q tip. If you want to skip the jojoba oil wash your face twice with the cetaphil. And no wash cloths or exfoliating until you clear up! If your skin does get dry use some cetaphil moisturizer in the night time only.

-Sounds dumb, but wash your hair everyday or every second day. I used to go every 3 days and a lot of oil can get on your face from that.

-Try and decrease stress! Stress really does show up in your skin. Try yoga, go for a run, walk the dog...whatever. Less stress and regular exercise (even if its not sweat your butt off kind) REALLY makes a difference. Be happy! Laugh lots!

Anyways, these are really, really general. My best suggestion is to read through my log and try and figure out if you have any food sensitivites. You could be sensitive to dairy, wheat...heck, even strawberries. It's best to try and figure it out using a food dairy or elimination diet. But overall, this is what worked for me. Acne is different for everyone. It's just basically your bodys warning light (like in a car) saying 'hey something is wrong here!'. For some people it can be purely hormonal, for others purely dietary. Some people just respond badly to makeup even! (I use mineral makeup now). The reason why things like this tend to run in families is because your body's weak areas (your skin for you) run in families. Same reason why some people think weight is genetic. Really, its just a combination of genetics, immune system, diet, hormones, and environmental factors. Both my parents STILL break out in their 50's, but I've been able to beat my genes by eating a proper diet and doing all the things I have.

I started eating better in March 2011. I noticed an improvement within the first month. My diet kept getting better and better and by June 1st I'm 99% clear. But Im still working at getting better and better!

One last thing, if you can afford it- find a good naturopath and see him/her. Especially one who knows a lot about acne. They will help you SO much and are worth the money.

Oh and a great website to visit is: thelovevitamin.com Its written by a girl who used to come here! It's what inspired me in the first place :)

Good luck!

my house is full of junk foods and meats. but i will stop at nothing to be clear.

OHHHH AND i want to be clear before 10th grade, so i have 2 months and a half to get clearr!

I have the same goal as you. When I go back to school for grade 10 I want to be clear or atleast you know have only 1 or 2 spots. I've been looking through this site for about a year looking on what to eat and what not, what to use and what not and etc. . I'm gonna try to put all that together and reach my goal! Cause who wants to start a new year with acne?

It's hard at first! But stick with it. You CAN clear your acne the right way. This site is full of good information. Look up things like 'intermittent fasting', 'green smoothies', 'sleep', 'stress', 'insulin sensitivites', 'vitamin d'...the list goes on and on. It's about a lifestyle change, and it'll be so much easier for you to clear your acne when you're young than when you're in you're 20's. Just stick with it and dont give up, it's a bit of trial and error. Good luck guys! I would have loved to be clear in high school.

my house is full of junk foods and meats. but i will stop at nothing to be clear.

I have the same goal as you. When I go back to school for grade 10 I want to be clear or atleast you know have only 1 or 2 spots. I've been looking through this site for about a year looking on what to eat and what not, what to use and what not and etc. . I'm gonna try to put all that together and reach my goal! Cause who wants to start a new year with acne?

It's hard at first! But stick with it. You CAN clear your acne the right way. This site is full of good information. Look up things like 'intermittent fasting', 'green smoothies', 'sleep', 'stress', 'insulin sensitivites', 'vitamin d'...the list goes on and on. It's about a lifestyle change, and it'll be so much easier for you to clear your acne when you're young than when you're in you're 20's. Just stick with it and dont give up, it's a bit of trial and error. Good luck guys! I would have loved to be clear in high school.

I'm already doing green smoothies and they seem to be helping but the results seem pretty slow right now. Since its summer right now more time to sleep....finally! :)

I already cut out diary and gluten from my diet. Though I still eat rice but people there is and isn't gluten in rice :S

Update: June 14th

Two things:

1) I went to my family doctor a while ago. My complaints have been EXTREME fatigue that is getting worse, insomnia, acne that is getting worse, gallbladder pains getting more frequent, periods getting more irregular.

This was prior to me REALLY changing my eating habits (I had only just started eating sort of healthy at this point). I should note that since I've done everything in my log I've actually been able to fix every last one of these problems (yay). Anyways, she ordered blood tests and I got the results back yesterday. I didn't tell her that I've been feeling a lot better.

My test results were 100% normal. As usual. Time and time again I go to the doctor, they order blood tests, and they come back normal. Her advice? Drink some tea :doubt: REALLY? They sent you to med school for that?

Honestly if I hadn't have seen the naturopath and been taking things into my own hands I would have cried at that response. I would have no hope. But since I've gone the holistic route it took all my strength not to smirk.

2) I decided to do a little test to see if it has simply been a vitamin d deficiency all along. I kept taking my supplements as usual, and followed my diet for breakfast and lunch, but allowed myself a few small, gluten containing foods (usually sweets) a day. 3 cookies in a day, a little bit of pasta salad, 2 brownies, a chocolate bar...you get the idea. I started this on Thursday and did it until Sunday. Because I'm not a big, big eater, it probably amounted to about 20% of my total food each day.

And guess what! ALL weekend I was exhausted, but couldn't fall asleep until 3 am (my old ways!), I had 1 gallbladder attack, and I had a headache and just felt nasty the whole time. And I got 3 new pimples between Saturday and Sunday! Not to mention my skin was pale, dull...people kept asking if I was sick. I looked dead haha. Even though I was exhausted all day Sunday and went to bed at 9 pm, I couldn't fall asleep until 5 am Sunday night. My skin looked HORRID Monday. All my old hyperpigmentation was inflamed, and I woke up to 3 new spots for Monday...ugh!

I do think the vitamin d was very important for me, but obviously so is staying away from gluten (for me) and sugar and processed junk. Monday I went back to my healthy ways and as of today (Tuesday) my skin is starting to glow again and no new pimples. I fell asleep within 15 minutes again last night and today I finally have ENERGY again. My headaches are gone and I feel great.

It was enough to make me STAY strict! I do think I can have a wee taste of junk food now and then, but I will definitely go back to the 90% healthy, 10% junk rule. But I think it's important to space your cheats out. Dont cheat 4 days in a row like I did :naughty: Cheat here or there (it keeps you sane) but space it out a bit. I guess it gives your body time to recover.

Because of my test I didn't take a progress picture this weekend, because obviously, I wasn't progressing or even trying to really. Just doing a bit of detective work! Interesting but now I have all these new spots that need to go away NOW!

I'm definitely taking some of your tips on board. For a start I didn't no bread had any association with acne, but after reading your blog post I'm starting to think it does. I've been eating healthily for just a month and already my skin is improving; however I still get spots.

I'm definitely going to try and not eat before 10am, get 8 hours sleep and make an effort to wash my hair daily as of tomorrow. Your tips make so much sense to me and my routine!! Hope your skin is ok?

Thanks guys! :) I really hope you both can stick with it, because it is SO worth it in the end.

James, yes, carbs are not good for acne at all! They cause a spike in your blood sugar which can cause acne. Same goes with sugar. I suggest cutting out bread and pasta and that sort of thing for a month and see how you and your skin feels. I know mine got a lot better, but I also have a gluten intolerance, so that probably affected it quite a bit. When you do eat carbs, like brown rice or potatoes, just eat a small portion and make sure you eat it with some protein, fat, and fibre (like green veggies, broccoli), because it helps lower the effect that the carbs will have on your blood sugar. If you haven't already, check out alternvista's post 'good things for acne' and read through the first page at least. It's full of good information and everything I do is based off of that and thelovevitamin.com :) Let me know how things go for you!

Update:

So I broke our for a solid week after my gluten and vitamin d3 test. It was horrible! On my cheek even. I was pretty miserable. Never again will I touch gluten! Since then I've been following a low GI/paleoish diet and it's very very easy to follow! I just don't eat a lot of carbs, and when I do I eat them with a few nuts, some meat, and/or some veggies or hummus (something fatty!) and I haven't had a spot all week. I literally just have hyperpigmentation left now, which feels amazing! I've even had a few less than healthy cheats, but by trying to do my cheats (I had 2 this week....udderly devine icecream both times) with some of the blood stabilizing stuff they haven't affected me.

And I have what I think is very very good news! Maybe TMI for the guys, but I have never ever been regular (except while on birth control, so that doesnt count) in my cycles for my whole life. So for the last 13 years! They were anywhere from 35 days-90 days apart. Since I started the diet and the D3 (almost a month now of the D3) I woke up this morning to my very first 28 day cycle period! :dance: AND although I feel a little dull ache in my tummy, it's no where near the can't sleep, can't eat (I've never eaten for the first 2 days of my cycle every month because it hurt so bad), can't walk kind of cramps I used to have. I feel NORMAL (as my husband says: in body, not in mind though haha) and healthy for the very first time.

I've also been going for little 10 minute bursts of a run with my dog while on our daily walk. I read about that sort of exercise on Marks Daily Apple (I love that site, he has a great post on acne too!) and it's right up my lazy alley. Okay not on every daily walk, but like 3 a week! Thats good for me haha. And I've been getting my 8 hours of sleep every night this week. I read online that a lot of women benefit from total darkness while sleeping to help regulate their period cycles. Thats something else I've been doing for about a month now, so maybe that helped too?

I have a stagette party to go to Saturday night, which will mean a full night of red wine, but hopefully since my diet is mostly so healthy I'll be able to get through it without a major breakout. Oh and I even made my first homemade salad dressing last night. I finally feel like I have control over my life and I'm not just a zombie trying to make it through the day :D

i just read your log and its given me hope! im going to try the hollistic way of healing my acne! :)

Thank's for that detailed reply!!! I'll definitely give thelovevitamin a visit, as well as alternativista's thread.

I was at the stage where I just had hyperpigmentation last week, it was the best feeling in the world. Hopefully I can get back to that stage! I now have firm evidence that drinking water reduces my acne. By reducing the amount I drink (through laziness) I've broken out again, this time in new places.

My weak point is brown/granary bread. I know it's not good for acne but I just can't resist the stuff! I could easily eat a loaf a day :rolleyes: I know that's bad haha.

Greeneyes, fantastic news about your cycle! I've only been eating "really well" for a month and a bit now, and already have seen improvement in my cycle -- from 38 days now down to 32! Hopefully by the next cycle, I may even be on 28. It's crazy how just by eating a very nutrient dense diet, you can help keep your hormones in check. It is beyond me why doctors don't ever tell you, or at least suggest this as a key to hormonal balance health.

How I got this point (the long winded version):

Started breaking out when I was 12. :confused: I hated it. But of course I knew from school that 'most teenagers get acne' and figured I was just another statistic and it would be something I'd have to deal with through my teen years. Of course, that didn't stop me from convincing my mother to buy me every 'clean and clear' and the like product on the market hoping something would help.

When I was 14 my periods (which had always been irregular) were now so irregular I would get them somtimes two weeks apart, sometimes 4 months apart. I went to the doctor, and coupled with my acne he put me straight on birth conrol. I wouldn't even be sexually active for another 4 years, but I would do anything at that point.

Birth control helped my acne...somewhat. I would still get 3-4 pimples a month, rather than maybe 6 that I would get without it. All mainly around my mouth and chin. About 50% were the painful cystic kind.

When I was 19 I was referred to a determatologist because I couldn't take the cysts anymore. One was so bad it swelled up around my lip to the point where I couldn't talk without a huge lisp. Not exactly the kind of impression I wanted to make on people. It was about the size of a quarter. He put me on antibiotics and told me if it didn't go down with those I'd have to have it surgically removed. He also told me after the antibiotics he could put me on accutane to prevent cystic acne like this in the future. Luckily, the antibiotics worked (this wasn't however my first course of antibiotics both for acne and being constantly sick) and I started my accutane perscription.

Accutane was a year long nightmare for me. I trusted my doctor 100% but I was getting nose bleeds, my skin was dry and flaking, and my lips were cracked and bleeding all the time. I felt miserable. To top it off, I still got acne with it. It had NO effect on my acne. After a year I stopped it, still searching for the right product or cleanser that would give me clear skin.

When I was 24 my life was totally different. I had met the man of my dreams who loves me unconditionally and tells me I'm beautiful everyday. We were married for a year and we knew we wanted to have children sometime in the next year or two. I decided to stop taking my birth control, and we would just use a barrier method. Within 2 weeks I noticed I was different. My mood was SO much better. I could handle things without breaking into tears. I felt stronger and mroe capable. I didn't even realize the birth control pills had done that to me after being on them for 10 years. My weight didn't change (it never had, I weighed the same amount I did when I was 15) and my acne didn't get better or worse. I was so happy!

4 months later and the Christmas holidays hit. I suddenly started breaking out like crazy around my mouth and chin. I had never broken out this much. Devestated I continued trying different products. I was 25. I was too old to be getting acne! A friend of mine had used retin A micro. Since I was also noticing tiny tiny fine lines, it seemed like a no brainer. It cleared up her acne within a month, so I went to the doctor to ask for a perscription. Because my skin never really did recover, and was always painfully dry, he gave me the lowest percentage strength and the cream form. I went to acne.org and read reviews saying to ease into it and to moisturize. I applied it every 3 nights, and was sure to mositurize. But my skin kept getting dryer and dryer, and my acne worse and worse. After 2.5 months I was fed up. I couldn't apply it regularly because it burned and peeled my skin. I couldn't wear makeup because it only highlighted the flakes that were all over my face. I was also heavily breaking out on my forehead, a place I had never before broken out. I was MISERABLE. I reached a breaking point and turned back to acne.org and made my first post looking for advice.

I got a few replies right away. Some actually had some good advice, that I ignored. Tangerine posted and asked me if I thought about my diet, emotional stess, etc and a holistic appraoch. I pretty much ignored her thinking 'I dont have time for something natural, I need something that actually works!' Someone suggested zinc and omega 3 which I rushed out and bought. Well, it did work! My acne improved, maybe 20%. I stopped getting the colds and flus that I usually got twice a month for most of my life. My skin was more moisturized thanks to the omega. I was happy, but of course, 20% isn't THAT great. I kept searching.

I stumbled into the holistic board originally looking for additional vitamins. I think it was alternavistas post that I stumbled across that mentioned things like diet, and pop. Up until that point I had probably the worst western diet ever. I was always petite and tiny and never had to worry about my weight. Therefore, I thought food didn't affect me. I would drink diet coke (up to 4 cans) everyday, drank little water, ate only white and refined carbs, I ate nachos and chips and chocolate every single day (no exaggeration), I hated fruit and veggies, and I loved McDonalds and Burger king. I would eat out for fast food at least twice a week. While I was a student it was nothing for me to eat fast food twice a day even. I was shocked when I read that maybe what I was eating was causing acne. Doctors told me it had nothing to do with food, it was all genetics. Maybe something I was eating was breaking me out? I decided to keep a food log and stop drinking the diet coke. I also stopped using my harsh and drying clinique products and switched them out for gentle cetaphil cleanser and moistuizer, and only washed my face once a day at the end of the day and used a baby brush to exfoliate once a week.

It didn't take long, 3 weeks maybe, to see the pattern that everytime I ate fast food I'd get two or three big pimples within the next day or two. So I stopped going. Quit my obsession cold turkey. I hoped maybe that was all it would take, and my acne did improve, but alas I still broke out. So I decided (with the support of my husband) to overhaul my diet. I exchanged white bread and pasta and refined carbs for whole wheat. I stopped eating chocolate and chips. I stopped eating red meat (didn't like it that much anyway and didn't like preparing it so that one was easy for me). Slowly, I started learning to like new foods. I was the girl who was SUCH a picky eater, to the point where I once went a month as a child where I refused to eat anything other than corn and icecream and had eating nachos covered in cheese whiz everyday for a year and a half in my early twenties so this was a big adjustment for me but I dove right in. I learned to love whole wheat bread, and then flax bread. I learned to love veggies and fruit. I loved hummus, fish, yoghurt. I started drinking nothing but water- 2 litres a day at least. I increased my fibre and added fibre suppliments. The best part? My skin improved about 60% and for the first time in my life I was actually glowing. Of course, I still wanted that final 40% of clarity. I wanted to be completely clear. I booked an appointment with a naturopath. I went back and reread that inital reply from tangerine. About healing my acne naturally. She had a blog, and I checked it out. And now, my journey is only really beginning...

Wow, it felt like I was reading my own life story! I've been eating a healthier diet for about a month now and seeing great results. My husband and I have totally changed our lifestyle as far as eating a healthy diet, exercise, sleep etc. After reading the posts from the holistic forums and doing my own research, I've learned so much. Best of luck to you! and thank you for sharing your experiences. I don't feel so alone in this world!

How I got this point (the long winded version):

Started breaking out when I was 12. :confused: I hated it. But of course I knew from school that 'most teenagers get acne' and figured I was just another statistic and it would be something I'd have to deal with through my teen years. Of course, that didn't stop me from convincing my mother to buy me every 'clean and clear' and the like product on the market hoping something would help.

When I was 14 my periods (which had always been irregular) were now so irregular I would get them somtimes two weeks apart, sometimes 4 months apart. I went to the doctor, and coupled with my acne he put me straight on birth conrol. I wouldn't even be sexually active for another 4 years, but I would do anything at that point.

Birth control helped my acne...somewhat. I would still get 3-4 pimples a month, rather than maybe 6 that I would get without it. All mainly around my mouth and chin. About 50% were the painful cystic kind.

When I was 19 I was referred to a determatologist because I couldn't take the cysts anymore. One was so bad it swelled up around my lip to the point where I couldn't talk without a huge lisp. Not exactly the kind of impression I wanted to make on people. It was about the size of a quarter. He put me on antibiotics and told me if it didn't go down with those I'd have to have it surgically removed. He also told me after the antibiotics he could put me on accutane to prevent cystic acne like this in the future. Luckily, the antibiotics worked (this wasn't however my first course of antibiotics both for acne and being constantly sick) and I started my accutane perscription.

Accutane was a year long nightmare for me. I trusted my doctor 100% but I was getting nose bleeds, my skin was dry and flaking, and my lips were cracked and bleeding all the time. I felt miserable. To top it off, I still got acne with it. It had NO effect on my acne. After a year I stopped it, still searching for the right product or cleanser that would give me clear skin.

When I was 24 my life was totally different. I had met the man of my dreams who loves me unconditionally and tells me I'm beautiful everyday. We were married for a year and we knew we wanted to have children sometime in the next year or two. I decided to stop taking my birth control, and we would just use a barrier method. Within 2 weeks I noticed I was different. My mood was SO much better. I could handle things without breaking into tears. I felt stronger and mroe capable. I didn't even realize the birth control pills had done that to me after being on them for 10 years. My weight didn't change (it never had, I weighed the same amount I did when I was 15) and my acne didn't get better or worse. I was so happy!

4 months later and the Christmas holidays hit. I suddenly started breaking out like crazy around my mouth and chin. I had never broken out this much. Devestated I continued trying different products. I was 25. I was too old to be getting acne! A friend of mine had used retin A micro. Since I was also noticing tiny tiny fine lines, it seemed like a no brainer. It cleared up her acne within a month, so I went to the doctor to ask for a perscription. Because my skin never really did recover, and was always painfully dry, he gave me the lowest percentage strength and the cream form. I went to acne.org and read reviews saying to ease into it and to moisturize. I applied it every 3 nights, and was sure to mositurize. But my skin kept getting dryer and dryer, and my acne worse and worse. After 2.5 months I was fed up. I couldn't apply it regularly because it burned and peeled my skin. I couldn't wear makeup because it only highlighted the flakes that were all over my face. I was also heavily breaking out on my forehead, a place I had never before broken out. I was MISERABLE. I reached a breaking point and turned back to acne.org and made my first post looking for advice.

I got a few replies right away. Some actually had some good advice, that I ignored. Tangerine posted and asked me if I thought about my diet, emotional stess, etc and a holistic appraoch. I pretty much ignored her thinking 'I dont have time for something natural, I need something that actually works!' Someone suggested zinc and omega 3 which I rushed out and bought. Well, it did work! My acne improved, maybe 20%. I stopped getting the colds and flus that I usually got twice a month for most of my life. My skin was more moisturized thanks to the omega. I was happy, but of course, 20% isn't THAT great. I kept searching.

I stumbled into the holistic board originally looking for additional vitamins. I think it was alternavistas post that I stumbled across that mentioned things like diet, and pop. Up until that point I had probably the worst western diet ever. I was always petite and tiny and never had to worry about my weight. Therefore, I thought food didn't affect me. I would drink diet coke (up to 4 cans) everyday, drank little water, ate only white and refined carbs, I ate nachos and chips and chocolate every single day (no exaggeration), I hated fruit and veggies, and I loved McDonalds and Burger king. I would eat out for fast food at least twice a week. While I was a student it was nothing for me to eat fast food twice a day even. I was shocked when I read that maybe what I was eating was causing acne. Doctors told me it had nothing to do with food, it was all genetics. Maybe something I was eating was breaking me out? I decided to keep a food log and stop drinking the diet coke. I also stopped using my harsh and drying clinique products and switched them out for gentle cetaphil cleanser and moistuizer, and only washed my face once a day at the end of the day and used a baby brush to exfoliate once a week.

It didn't take long, 3 weeks maybe, to see the pattern that everytime I ate fast food I'd get two or three big pimples within the next day or two. So I stopped going. Quit my obsession cold turkey. I hoped maybe that was all it would take, and my acne did improve, but alas I still broke out. So I decided (with the support of my husband) to overhaul my diet. I exchanged white bread and pasta and refined carbs for whole wheat. I stopped eating chocolate and chips. I stopped eating red meat (didn't like it that much anyway and didn't like preparing it so that one was easy for me). Slowly, I started learning to like new foods. I was the girl who was SUCH a picky eater, to the point where I once went a month as a child where I refused to eat anything other than corn and icecream and had eating nachos covered in cheese whiz everyday for a year and a half in my early twenties so this was a big adjustment for me but I dove right in. I learned to love whole wheat bread, and then flax bread. I learned to love veggies and fruit. I loved hummus, fish, yoghurt. I started drinking nothing but water- 2 litres a day at least. I increased my fibre and added fibre suppliments. The best part? My skin improved about 60% and for the first time in my life I was actually glowing. Of course, I still wanted that final 40% of clarity. I wanted to be completely clear. I booked an appointment with a naturopath. I went back and reread that inital reply from tangerine. About healing my acne naturally. She had a blog, and I checked it out. And now, my journey is only really beginning...

Wow, it felt like I was reading my own life story! I've been eating a healthier diet for about a month now and seeing great results. My husband and I have totally changed our lifestyle as far as eating a healthy diet, exercise, sleep etc. After reading the posts from the holistic forums and doing my own research, I've learned so much. Best of luck to you! and thank you for sharing your experiences. I don't feel so alone in this world!

How's it going for you now? Both me and my husband are loving our new diet and lifestyle. The poor man was a bean pole all his life, despite going to the gym everyday to lift weights. When he'd gain he'd only gain fat in his belly. Now that he's low carb, high protein/fruits/veggies he's gained 10 lbs of muscle in his chest and arms! Im loving it too ;) I think the SAD diet is bad for everyone, but especially those with acne.

Good luck and please keep us updated :)

Greeneyes, fantastic news about your cycle! I've only been eating "really well" for a month and a bit now, and already have seen improvement in my cycle -- from 38 days now down to 32! Hopefully by the next cycle, I may even be on 28. It's crazy how just by eating a very nutrient dense diet, you can help keep your hormones in check. It is beyond me why doctors don't ever tell you, or at least suggest this as a key to hormonal balance health.

I havent seen you around much lately and I've been thinking of you and a few other of the girls who were doing the diet log thing! Updates updates! :D Hows your cycle now? I can hardly believe how my cycle was last month. Im praying it continues on this month, but so far everything does seem to be going along completely regular :)

UPDATE: July 7th 2011

So I figured it was high time for another update. Considering that I haven't had one in...like 3 weeks :lol:

Really there isn't much new to report. I admit I'm not the best dieter in the world (skinny girl syndrome...can't diet!) and I probably have a cheat anywhere from 3 to 5 times per week. I blame my inlaws. My father in law loves junk food and he and I shared that until I recently became healthy. He would give me cookies, icecream, chocolate bars, snack and a halfs (a cookie icecream bar) everytime I saw him...which is usually twice a week. He knows I cant have gluten now, so he made me gluten free chocolate chip cookies. :drool: Maybe Im a pig, or maybe Im a girl who since going gluten free hasn't had her baked goods in like 2 months, but I ate a lot. 2-3 per day for 5 days. I only stopped because that was the end. :whistle: I also have been having icecream once a week while at their place, but I've been replacing my monster size bowls that could feed an African village for little dainty girly bowls. And instead of eating a whole chocolate bar to myself, my hubby and I split one. BABY STEPS PEOPLE.

But in all seriousness, I dont miss them nearly as much as I thought I would. In fact, the chocolate bar made me kind of sick to my stomach. The cookies and the icecream were still pretttty tasty though, I cant lie.

Because of my lack of self control my acne has been great and bad all at once. Great because it's definitely clearing, but I'm still getting breakouts. Instead of 4 new pimples everday, I get1-2 a week now. Instead of cysts I get regular pimples, and instead of a 3 week healing period they're gone completely within a week. My forehead has not seen a pimple in 3 weeks now, and that was an all out battle zone if you remember from my befores. Strangely I never had a forehead pimple before January 2011 and then it went crazy, and now it's completely clear again (save some PIH). Maybe it was the gluten? Maybe it was the carbs? Who knows. I also haven't had a breakout on my cheeks or jaw in over a month! :D That area also never got breakouts until March 2011. So that leaves my dreaded mouthal region. My area around the corners of my mouth that I've always had issues with. I only get 1- 2 pimples per week, but they are always in those areas. Sugar perhaps?

Other than my cheats, my diet is fantastic and I love it. I never ever feel deprived, and my cheats are fewer and further between, and less and less enjoyable. We eat berries as a snack after supper and can't keep the fruits and veggies in the house because we love eating them! I make fish 2-3 times a week, eggs twice a week, and both me and the husband love the way we feel!

Now for my non-diet related ramble: The non-diet stuff is HELLA important. I'm talking sunshine, stress, exercise, and sleep. I went camping and made a post about it which you can see here but I'll give you a quick summary: basically tons of sunshine, tons of walking and exercise, 4 stress free fun days, and great circadian rythem and sleep and my skin looked AMAZING. And yes this was a time I was also loaded with my GF cookies. I'd have 2 GF cookies a day and some red wine and my skin STILL looked amazing. But now that I'm back to regular life my little mouth pomples problem (as I call them) have returned. But I do think overall my skin is on it's way to 100% clear town, and if I could stop cheating, get more sun, less stress, better sleep, and more exercise I'd be clear by now. Basically, I need to win the lottery and quit my job :lol:

So Im decreasing my vitamin D3. On days where Im working I'll take 1000 IU, but on days where I can get outside and it's sunny I skip it altogether. When it stops being so glorious out I'll start the 4000 IU back up again.

As for my lady cycle it seems to be continuing on as regular as a text book reproductive system and that makes me happy. My hair is also growing SUPER fast, which I love. My head hair, that is. I used to be lucky to get a half an inch every 3 months and now I wouldnt be surprised if I get 3/4 of an inch a month.

And that is my update. Who reads these anyways? My weird little rambles to myself :lol:

Edited by GreenEyes33

I'm in the early stages of the natural approach. I think I'm in the final stages of the adjustment stage (I still feel unsatisfied by foods, have cravings etc...). My problem is that when I see improvements I eat unhealthy foods again, like a bowl or cereal. They can add up after a while haha. Cravings are the worst. I'm craving fast food sooo much!

I do enjoy being healthy as I feel so much better in myself (and my skin looks great), but when you have that niggle in your stomach for something other than a salad or piece of fruit it's difficult to resist!

Oh, and I read your little rambles :lol:

Edited by James Small

It was hard at first but things have gotten easier. We use to eat everything and now we are more conscious about what we choose to eat. Its also alot more fun doing groceries together because we help each other read labels, etc. I've decided to go see a naturopath as well. My appointment is this Wednesday. My acne has improved but I am still breaking out:( Also, I am concern about my overall health. I just got off accutane in Jan. and things have not been good.

Edited by Hope77

Update: July 20 2011

I'm feeling SUPER down about my acne today. After like 2 months of clearing, with only 1 spot a week, I've had 3 new spots today alone and 2 new ones yesterday. My diet has been FANTASTIC other than the 1.5 lites of icecream I ate last Monday and the peanuts I was snacking on everyday last week. But seriously, other than that I've been doing quite good.

Im not sure if it's the icecream, the peanuts, or the stress. Things have been so hectic lately and it wont be until next week that they finally calm down a bit. I've been so stressed I've been up late worrying over how I'm going to get everything done. So lack of sleep, high stress, being too busy to exercise, and having cheats that were more than my normal cheats (that icecream one almost made me ralph) are PROBABLY contributing to my skin.

On top of that I realized my d3 supps contain soybean oil and I accidentally bought omega369 not omega 3 and have been taking them for over a month without realizing. :boohoo: I know, Im a baby today. Listen to me pout :( If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to pipe in. You can also pet me like a cat and put me near a sunny window for a nap with a blankie. Either would be appreciated right now.

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a bad day/week. I'm sure once your not so stressed out, you can get a regular about of sleep and get back on your eating plan, you'll feel better & look better.

I've noticed that when I have a lack of sleep that is when I always seem to break out (boo-urns!) So I hope that this is a short lived set back. Something you can try doing (I saw it on Dr Oz recently, and have started to do it my self) is a few minutes of meditation everyday, I have even started to do it at work lol!

It just deep breathing, and focusing in on the sound of your heart beats, and asking yourself question that are not to be answsered (Ex, what is the meaning of life). It may help you destress & relax.

Hope it gets better & keep up the awesome work!

I'm sorry to hear that you are having a bad day/week. I'm sure once your not so stressed out, you can get a regular about of sleep and get back on your eating plan, you'll feel better & look better.

I've noticed that when I have a lack of sleep that is when I always seem to break out (boo-urns!) So I hope that this is a short lived set back. Something you can try doing (I saw it on Dr Oz recently, and have started to do it my self) is a few minutes of meditation everyday, I have even started to do it at work lol!

It just deep breathing, and focusing in on the sound of your heart beats, and asking yourself question that are not to be answsered (Ex, what is the meaning of life). It may help you destress & relax.

Hope it gets better & keep up the awesome work!

Thank you! I just googled some breathing exercises and I think I will try them for a few min a day :)

Hi! your story has inspired me to do something about my acne situation, im also 25, and its just been about less than a year since my acne started. i never used to have this much on my chin, its just been recently that it started getting worse, crawling up slowly to my cheeks. i mean shouldnt i be over the phase with the pimples, i though getting older would mean i wouldnt have to deal with this, but its even worse compared to when i was a teen!

So anyway i found a new love for green tea, which is fortunate, since i read from your logs that its part of your special diet, :) and i just got and bought myself Rocaltrol which is Active Vitamin D3. i did a bit of reading that there have been reports that people have gotten a LOT better from taking vitamin D for their acne. so yey!

I really hope this works for me too... :pray:

please keep posting! your story really does encourage :)

Hi! your story has inspired me to do something about my acne situation, im also 25, and its just been about less than a year since my acne started. i never used to have this much on my chin, its just been recently that it started getting worse, crawling up slowly to my cheeks. i mean shouldnt i be over the phase with the pimples, i though getting older would mean i wouldnt have to deal with this, but its even worse compared to when i was a teen!

So anyway i found a new love for green tea, which is fortunate, since i read from your logs that its part of your special diet, :) and i just got and bought myself Rocaltrol which is Active Vitamin D3. i did a bit of reading that there have been reports that people have gotten a LOT better from taking vitamin D for their acne. so yey!

I really hope this works for me too... :pray:

please keep posting! your story really does encourage :)

Those are two really great steps!! Good for you. I wish I clued into the health aspect of acne less than a year after my acne started...I waited so long!

Keep us updated. There's lots of good information on these boards :)

Update: August 11 2011

It's been about a week and a half since I decided to give up the last bit of junk in my diet. I had icecream two nights in a row a week and a half ago, and broke out with a new spot for the next three days. But since those three days, nothing new! The junk I've given up was icecream and peanuts (well, not exactly sure that peanuts are junk...but the kind I was eating wasn't agreeing with me)

As time goes on it is clear to me what is causing my acne. Sadly it isn't one type of food, or a lack of a certain vitamin...like people here, and the love vitamin have been preaching, it's a number of things. It's about an overall healthy lifestyle.

For me, I stay clear when I eat a healthy diet that is low GI overall, with lots of vegetables, eggs, and fish {and very little grains (no gluten at all) and very little dairy (mostly just butter for cooking)}, keep stress as low as I can, exercsie most days (even just walking 45 minutes 6 days a week and a quick 15 minute run once or twice a week seems to help me!), and SLEEP! I have to make sure that I get my 8 hours in. Even a month ago I was sleeping 6 hours most nights of the week, but the last week I've been great at doing 8 and its helped so much! In terms of vitamins, I take a B vitamin 'stress' one, it contains zinc, copper, and vit c too. Other than that I take a probiotic once a day, some d3 when it's been a while since I've seen the sun, and 2 omega 3s everyday. I've also been drinking green tea everyday...and I love it! It seriously makes my skin glow, especially if I drink a few cups a day. And it's not because of the water factor, because I was already drinking 2-3 litres of water a day before the green tea. The only other thing that I've changed the last few weeks is that I use mouthwash (Tom's) before bed, or brush my teeth before bed...something I was bad for forgetting. It has REALLY helped to clear up the acne at the corners of my mouth and around my lips. Thanks to those here who mentioned that!

When I'm able to balance all of these things, I clear right up, I feel great. When one of them slips but the rest stay good I can usually stay clear but dont feel my best. When a few of them slip for a few days, I can expect a breakout. My body is telling me it needs to be cared for better!

I've been practicing some destressing techniques for the last week as well that my naturopath recommended, which have really been helping. Surprisingly even more than yoga! Our summer here has been a bust...it has been raining or drizzling literally all summer (save 3 weeks in July that were ok!), and I do feel like if I could get more sun and get out to exercise more I'd be doing even better. But I'm still pleased because even though it's not a quick fix, I now know what I need to do to have good health and clear skin. It's been about 3 months now that I've been serious about clearing my acne and fixing my health holistically. I haven't gotten sick once in that time, my cycles are regular, I only nap once a week (as opposed to everyday...if not more), and I dont have insomnia. And to be honest, I did really bad at my holistic cure for the first 2 months, and only 'okay' for the first 2 weeks of the third month. It's only been the last week and a half that I can honestly say that I'm able to keep everything together, and even though my skin has been clearing for the last 3 months, the last week and half have really made the biggest difference.

It's hard going from a stressed out girl, who never exercsied, who ate the worst, most carb and dairy heavy diet imaginable (and thus was insulin resistant), who was exhausted all the time yet suffered from insomnia causing me to sleep for just 3 hours some nights, with a womanly cycle that was so out of whack doctors told me I'd likely have a very difficult time getting pregnant, to a healthy, in control, HAPPY person. Oh and I looooove vegetables. I cant even believe I just said that :lol: My only advice to anyone reading this is that it is a journey. It takes time to cure your acne and fix your health holistically. Take baby steps, celebrate your successes, learn from your mistakes, and if I can do it, anyone can do it. I know that phrase gets thrown around A LOT, but seriously...my diet and lifestyle were the epitomy of what causes acne, and I swore I'd never change my diet even just a few months ago. It can be done! :D:dance:

Edited by GreenEyes33

Hey GreenEyes33!

Thanks for posting you log on here! I also just started a holisitc diet (haven't yet established the stress-free, exercise part yet!). I am ending my second week of being good and it is tough! I am also scared of losing too much weight on this diet as I used to be skinny throughout my teenage years..Now have had acne for almost three years (never had it before in my life) and this summer it was at its WORST! I decided to try the hollistic approach about two weeks ago..anyways just wanted to tell you that I saw the pics you posted and your skin was looking great with its progress! Found it really inspirational too! Stay motivated and keep it up! Not just for your skin but for your overall health!!

Hey GreenEyes33!

Thanks for posting you log on here! I also just started a holisitc diet (haven't yet established the stress-free, exercise part yet!). I am ending my second week of being good and it is tough! I am also scared of losing too much weight on this diet as I used to be skinny throughout my teenage years..Now have had acne for almost three years (never had it before in my life) and this summer it was at its WORST! I decided to try the hollistic approach about two weeks ago..anyways just wanted to tell you that I saw the pics you posted and your skin was looking great with its progress! Found it really inspirational too! Stay motivated and keep it up! Not just for your skin but for your overall health!!