Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dolphins

cortisone injections

I have three slightly elevated areas of skin(post-acne) that are bothering me to no end. They've been there for about two months. I was thinking about asking the derm about cortisone injections. Do cortisone injections carry a risk?

Thanks

I got a hypertrophic scar from a subcision treatment I had Nov 2002. There was one spot about the size of a pimple that would not go down over time, so I had two cortisone injections. The first did nothing, but the second, which I had Aug 5 has helped a lot. The doctor injected a little more the second time.

I think the key is to take it slow because if you overdo it, the cortisone can cause atrophic scarring. Also, wait a couple months between treatments because it could take a while to have an effect. Finally, my doctor said that some people (a minority) wind up with hypopigmented skin after cortisone shots, but it hasn't happened to me. I think it's worth the risk to level your skin off. Hypertrophic scars are pain in the neck, and I haven't heard of anything else that really works on them.

I got a pretty deep scar from a cortisone injection once so I would be careful if getting it done. The scar lasted about 3 months too until it finally plumped back up.

cortisone is the correct choice to prevent scarring from cystic acne. I wish my family doctor had the common sense to send me to a derm to treat my cystic acne, instead of trying to treat it with antibiotics that take months to build up in the tissues to have an effect.