Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
YourStar

Accutane and dry hair

im on 40mg a day, my hair used to get pretty oily before accutane, but now my hair is getting so dry. About two weeks ago, i stopped using shampoo everyday, and just conditioner, and i used leave in conditioner, and heat protecter before i blowdryed my hair, and my hair was really soft and not dry at all. But like 2 - 3 days ago, even doing all that, my hair is drying out again, idk why though? i havnt used shampoo in like 4 days, my shampoo really drys out my hair, im using main n tail. Im afraid to use a different kind of shampoo because im allergic, they made me breakout really really bad. What should i do? is there something better i can use for blowdrying my hair to keep it from drying so bad, or like a intensive repair conditioner, idk, something i can buy? What do you do for this? D : thanks! : )

Edited by YourStar

does anyone know what i should do? my hair is starting to really bug me, it feels like straw(maybe im just over-reacting about that), its so dry right now that my hair has like no volume, usually my hair is between like thick and thin, but it just feels thin, sometimes very thin. I already told my derm about this btw, he said that its normal, and to use very good conditioner etc. if you had this, what did you do to fix it? i tried this one conditioner your suppost to leave in your hair for like a hour or all night, i used it all night, but it didnt really work, i dont even think its for my kind of hair

Hey,

I have extremely dry hair and it gets oily quick, it's really weird, but because I started Accutane I started using a new shampoo. Get any shampoo from the Burt's Bees line. I can't stress this enough, I don't do recommendations like this lightly. I will never use any other shampoo ever again. It's great because it doesn't have any parabens, sulfates, or phthalates and so that means it won't strip the natural oils from your hair. The right amount of oil will remain in your hair, and it will be cleaned properly.

After I wash my hair with this shampoo it feels like a bit oily but not in a bad way (I air dry my hair). And it does feel clean and I realize that this oil is just what's natural and supposed to be in my hair, there is no alcohol to dry it out completely.

Please give Burt's Bees a try. I started using this line right before Accutane and while I'm on Accutane and I know I won't be switching back to anything else. I also use their body wash and face cleanser and famous lip balm.

Keep me updated with what happens, good luck to you!

does anyone know what i should do? my hair is starting to really bug me, it feels like straw(maybe im just over-reacting about that), its so dry right now that my hair has like no volume, usually my hair is between like thick and thin, but it just feels thin, sometimes very thin. I already told my derm about this btw, he said that its normal, and to use very good conditioner etc. if you had this, what did you do to fix it? i tried this one conditioner your suppost to leave in your hair for like a hour or all night, i used it all night, but it didnt really work, i dont even think its for my kind of hair

I highly suggest aveda damage remedy...pricy but its worth it, you dont need much to do the job. I only wash my hair 2x per week and if I get it wet in between the washing to style it I always condition it (just dont shampoo it)... be gentle with your hair on accutane..

I used scalp benefits shampoo bc accutane has given me dandruff ugh.. but yeah shits overpriced but better than anything else Ive had experience with

My hair is getting really dry too.I used to wash it every other day but now I can go a week without washing it and it won't get oily (i do wash it every 3 days though). Do not wash it every day and invest in a better moisturizing conditioner.

Has anyone tried keratin treatment? It is mainly used for smoothing and straightening freezy and damaged hair but I think it might work for you http://www.ehow.com/about_5378766_keratin-...-treatment.html I'm not sure if it's safe to use while on Accutane,I've been wanting to do it myself but I'm still researching it.

my mom got me some organic conditioner, and i stopped blow drying my hair, i think it feel alot better. thanks for the suggestions though! ill look into some of that stuff : ) oh snd flying high ive never heard of keratin treatment, but ill look at that too, thanks!

nvm going to have to do a hot oil treatment, because even after ALL of this, not blowdrying, not shampooing, organic conditioner, my hair is still so dry! UHGGG, i wont give up on accutane, the side effects tho are starting to get to me! ) :

Edited by YourStar

YourStar, there's not much you can do aside from all you're doing. :comfort: This is just one of the common side effects of the drug. Keeping hydrated and your hair greatly moisturized by not blowdrying and conditioning more than shampooing while reducing washes is about the best you can do.

yeah thats the sucky part D : not much i can do besides that, maybe i can do a hot oil treament or something extra to help