Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
claytablets

Should I try spironolactone?

I am currently in my 30 day waiting period to get on accutane. But I'm starting to have doubts. It seems as though I've developed some mild IBS symptoms since I took it 2 years ago (I have NO idea if it's related, but don't really want to take my chances!)

I've been reading on here all of the success stories about spiro and the only reason I haven't tried it yet is because I took Yaz for about 7 days about 6 months ago and had to stop it immidiately because it made me feel HORRIBLE. I couldn't sleep, I had heart palpatations, trouble breathing deeply, I felt weak and tired...etc. It seemed as though it gave me panic attacks as well. If I couldn't tolerate Yaz, could I tolerate spiro? I don't know how similar the two are and my derm didn't seem to have any answers for me whatsoever.

Can someone PLEASE give me some insight about this. Has anyone experienced side effects like that while taking spiro? Or is it just the yaz?

Well I've never been on birth control pill and I hate taking medications. But I have been taking spiro now for 3 months I have had no negative side effects. I initially starting taking 100mgs. each day and that is high for some women. But it works better at a higher does. Now I take 150mgs a day. The only side effect I have had (which is more of inconvinciece) is I get have a shorter menstrual cycle and I get thirsty a lot.

Why don't you start off with the spiro, take it a a low dosage....maybe 40-75mg/day and see how you feel.

By the way, the spiro is a slow acting drug, which can take up to 3-9 months to be effective.

My acne has not cleared, but I see an improvment. I'm still waiting for it to "kick in' I guess. :)

Well I've never been on birth control pill and I hate taking medications. But I have been taking spiro now for 3 months I have had no negative side effects. I initially starting taking 100mgs. each day and that is high for some women. But it works better at a higher does. Now I take 150mgs a day. The only side effect I have had (which is more of inconvinciece) is I get have a shorter menstrual cycle and I get thirsty a lot.

Why don't you start off with the spiro, take it a a low dosage....maybe 40-75mg/day and see how you feel.

By the way, the spiro is a slow acting drug, which can take up to 3-9 months to be effective.

My acne has not cleared, but I see an improvment. I'm still waiting for it to "kick in' I guess. :)

I had tried orthro tri-cyclen lo, and moved to ortho-cyclen bc the lo made me bleed about 3 wks out of the month for two months, sry to be explicit :rolleyes:

Spiro sent me to the ER, be careful w/ it as it can reallt mess up ur metabolic system.

Crystal, what happened to you?? Are you still taking it?

What were your side effects?

I'm about to start my 3rd month of spiro and I would really recommend that you try that before taking accutane again.

i took accutane about 2 years ago and my acne started to come back after i stopped using the birth control that I was taking while on accutane.

anyway, spiro doesn't have nearly as bad of side affects as accutane does and is safe to stay on long term. it basically blocks hormonal receptors in your body that are responsible for producing acne. i haven't seen many results yet ... my face will clear up for about a week or two and then break out horribly again, right around my lower cheeks and mouth. its supposed to take a while to work, so if you do give it a try, hang in there!! from what i've read from other people, its well worth it :)

For the first few weeks after I took it, I would get really tired and have to take a nap... but that eventually wore off as my body got used to it. I sometimes get dizzy if I stand up too fast, but its not that bad. My side affects from accutane were wayyy worse (body aches, eyes so dry I couldn't wear my contacts, hair loss ... just to name a few).

good luck though, with whatever you try!!

I am currently waiting for accutane. I go in for my blood work 5/9. For me spiro made my heart race unlike anything I can describe, very light headed, couldn't even drive. It took about 3 days for this to get out of hand. I had been on the phone w/ my mom who is an RN, and was describing this strange feeling, kinda like being stoned, and she freaked out, drove into town and took me to the ER. Well, spiro is potassium sparing, and apparently I had too much (strange bc I wasn't eating high potassium foods) and it threw my system out of whack. Too much potassium can cause sudden heart attacks, and I was well on my way. Spent the night, had some iv fluids, balanced out and was sent home. The thing that freaked me was I wasn't even aware that my metobolic system could be that disturbed so quickly, on a med a lot of women have had success with. It maybe fine for you, but it is not an option for me. My derm even said he wasn't worried about the accutane the way he is about the spiro for me. Sudden death is not a side effect of accutane. Just watch how you feel on spiro if you go that route, heartbeat, dizziness, lightheaded, weird stoned feelings. Most people are fine, just wanted to throw my warning out there.

I'm seriously thinking I should not go on spiro. I tried taking Yaz several months back and the 25 mgs of spiro in that made me have a horrible racy heart-beat and I had trouble breathing deeply. I got off it after 8 days because I just couldn't handle it anymore.....

:(

Hi! I first started taking 25 mg Spironolactone (and Solodyn 65 mg) in July of 2010. After about a month, my skin was the best it's ever been.. and it stayed that way for a couple months. Buuut then life happened and I got totally distracted.. the pharmacy wouldn't let me refill the prescription for some reason, and I just forgot about it... and my skin started getting worse. After about 3-4 months, I just started taking it again (50 mg a day) and I think I'm having an initial breakout because my acne is getting worse... But I've only been taking it for around 2 weeks, so I'm confident that it will clear up within the next month or so. I definitely trust Spiro... it just takes a little bit of time to really work. I'm just mad that I stopped taking it :wacko:

I wonder why the heck it effects some people like this and others not at all. I've talked to a few women on this forum who did experience some issues with rapid heart beat when they first started taking it and then said it gradually went away over time....this makes me feel like I should give 25mgs a try--maybe along with an antibiotic (like meredithxo).

The advice they gave was to take it with a full meal and drink LOTS of water. I'm not sure.

So Crystal, your doctor did a test on your potassium and it was too high? Because I'm not sure that was what was causing my symptoms. Most all women on this board have said that they're postassium levels came out fine in all of their lab work....hmmm.....

Yeah, when I went to the er they did an ekg and full lab work. The elevated potassium showed on my metabolic panel. I don't know what it was or what the normal range is... I could ask my mom if she remembers... but the dr told me it didn't take much of an imbalance to set ur heart off. The only thing they did for me was push fluids, so perhaps as long as u drink enough ull be fine? I think somehow I am just sensitive, bc I was drinking more than normal amounts of water. 25mg is a low dose. Maybe just start low, and go in stages, see how u react. Ur not just going to drop dead, ull definitely feel it coming on if ur going to have a reaction. Btw, ortho cyclen, not the lo, also gave me palpitations after about 1 and 1/2 weeks. Just be careful and listen to ur body. I know a lot of women safely use it w/ great results. Also, my derm did say it was prefered for adult women w/ acne, and it can take 3 months to see full benefits. Bc of my reaction, its just not an option.

Hope this helps ;)

Yeah, when I went to the er they did an ekg and full lab work. The elevated potassium showed on my metabolic panel. I don't know what it was or what the normal range is... I could ask my mom if she remembers... but the dr told me it didn't take much of an imbalance to set ur heart off. The only thing they did for me was push fluids, so perhaps as long as u drink enough ull be fine? I think somehow I am just sensitive, bc I was drinking more than normal amounts of water. 25mg is a low dose. Maybe just start low, and go in stages, see how u react. Ur not just going to drop dead, ull definitely feel it coming on if ur going to have a reaction. Btw, ortho cyclen, not the lo, also gave me palpitations after about 1 and 1/2 weeks. Just be careful and listen to ur body. I know a lot of women safely use it w/ great results. Also, my derm did say it was prefered for adult women w/ acne, and it can take 3 months to see full benefits. Bc of my reaction, its just not an option.

Hope this helps ;)

I think I am sensitive as well. What mgs did you start on with spiro? I noticed when I was taking ortho tri cyclen lo, if I drank a lot of caffine my heart would race a little bit (but also I am on adderall too so that could definitely be it). All I know is when I took Yaz (which has 25 mgs of spiro) I felt so terrible. My heart raced and it felt like I was having panic attacks. I definitely wasn't drinking more water, I had no idea I was supposed to but idk. We'll see. I'm really scared to try it. I know I won't just flat out die or anything but I hated feeling like that. It effected my performance at work...it was hard for me to function in life because my heartbeat was so crazy!

when I took Yaz (which has 25 mgs of spiro)

where does it say there is 25mg of spiro in yaz? cause on my yaz pill packet, it says there's 3mg of drospirenone and 0.02mg of ethinyl estradiol

DO NOT USE ACCUTANE. It will ruin your life. It is NOT worth what you get out of it. Yes, i know acne is depressing, but ACCUTANE often causes further depression and suicidal thoughts. It also is very hard on your liver. It will clear up your skin but 30 years from now your wrinkles will be 3x as deep and you will have the liver of a 40 year Alcoholic!

My dose was only 25mg a day, sorry not much encouragement. I know what you mean about hating that feeling, too. I could barely sleep, and I just felt jittery and sick all of time :wacko:

And I actually work with two women who took accutane with amazing results. One of them is in her 30's and the other in her 40's, and both look amazing. Great skin, including aging effects...

when I took Yaz (which has 25 mgs of spiro)

where does it say there is 25mg of spiro in yaz? cause on my yaz pill packet, it says there's 3mg of drospirenone and 0.02mg of ethinyl estradiol

The hormone drospirenone is a spironolactone derivative. So basically, that means that they simply added it to the mix (along with the progesterone hormone).

DO NOT USE ACCUTANE. It will ruin your life. It is NOT worth what you get out of it. Yes, i know acne is depressing, but ACCUTANE often causes further depression and suicidal thoughts. It also is very hard on your liver. It will clear up your skin but 30 years from now your wrinkles will be 3x as deep and you will have the liver of a 40 year Alcoholic!

No offense but that was not helpful at all.

I took accutane once before and it did not cause me to have any suicidal thoughts/depression. Also, wrinkles do not ruin your life and accutane does not necessarily cause liver damage to all of those who take it. In fact, it's extreamely rare.

Crystal, no that doesn't sound promising but I appreciate you telling me your story. I'd like to save myself the agony and stress of going back on it if I can't even tolerate the side effects. Accutane is another option for me but I'm slightly skeptical to try another round. I may just go back to trying anitbiotics again...I know that does nothing for oily skin but it did at least control quite a bit of my flare ups.

So Clay, can u tell me about ur accutane experience? I'm nervous about starting it. Its my last resort, but its discouraging to hear it gets worse before it gets better. Also, what did ur derm recommend for treatment after? Obviously ur acne came back, and I am very sorry for that :comfort:

Yeah. That's the plan. I'm definitely going to get back on anti-biotics and I'll talk to my derm about starting 25mgs of spiro and see if there is anything I can do to try and minimize the side effects. Some people on here say that 25 mgs of spiro isn't enough, but I've also heard that it CAN work (just maybe not as well). Plus I'm small, I only weigh 105 lbs and I'm 5'4.

My accutane experience was fairly good. I did start breaking out quite a bit before it got better but the oily skin starts to decrease within the first week or two, so that is DEFINITELY helpful. I broke out pretty bad for the first two months, after that things started to settle down quite a bit and by the end of 5 months I was pretty much completely clear. Ironically, my skin continued to get better after I stopped taking it. The only side effects I had were mild dry skin (nothing bad), and dryness in my nose to the point where sometimes when I blew my nose there was blood in it. I felt a little bit of fatigue the first month or so but that subsided. I did also experience some joint/muscle pain. It worried me a little but that has since subsided after getting off of accutane.

The reason I think my acne came back so fast is because I changed my birth control pills a LOT after stopping accutane, which can really screw up your skin if you're not careful. A whole year after being off accutane my skin was still flawless and my oil production was pretty low, as soon as I started birth control my skin started getting oily again and breaking out. I of course switched to another pill because I thought maybe it was that specific pill that was making me break out but it wasn't. The next pill I tried just messed up my skin even more and now I've decided to fully get off of it all together. I tried 4 different birth controls after getting off accutane in 1.5 years and I really think this is the result of my acne coming back, so don't be too discouraged. My advice to all women is if you decide to be on hormonal birth control AFTER accutane, commit to it and don't switch pills. And if you choose not to, then don't decide to go back on it (especially after a year or longer of coming off of it.) I've known too many women in my life who have done this after accutane and it ruined their skin. I did mine. I'm pretty darn confident that if I didn't toy around so much with "the pill" after my accutane treatment, that my skin would still be in great condition.

Also, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with accutane but about a year after getting off of it, I seemed to have developed some mild IBS. It's hard to say, before accutane I took antibiotics for 5 years and every since I was a little girl I always had digestive issues. I just noticed it got slightly worse. I'm not sure I think that this is due to taking accutane, but I suppose it is possible.

Thanks for the feedback!

I really hope the spiro and the antibiotics work for u. Keep us posted. I know my derm said the ideal dosage is 100mg daily, and I'm 5'3'' and 120lbs. Hopefully u won't feel any side effects and be able to up to the preferred dosage.

Good luck. :D