Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BumpyEllsworth

Pityrosporum Folliculitis

I've had it for about 15 months now. Initially I was prescribed a host of different antibiotics which have made it worse essentially. I just recently started with Diflucan 150 mg a day; I'm on my 15th day, also using ketoconozole cream and 2% shampoo. How long does it take to make this stuff go away? and I'm also wondering of the people affected by this , how many of you are hardcore exercisers?

I've had it for about 15 months now. Initially I was prescribed a host of different antibiotics which have made it worse essentially. I just recently started with Diflucan 150 mg a day; I'm on my 15th day, also using ketoconozole cream and 2% shampoo. How long does it take to make this stuff go away? and I'm also wondering of the people affected by this , how many of you are hardcore exercisers?

Hi how did you know you had "Pityrosporum" Folliculitis? My doctor told me I have folliculitis but she never told me what kind.

I have tried 2 antibiotics... docycyline for 30 days.. bactrim for 2 weeks.. but they didnt work. Now i just started minocycline which i will be taking for 30 days. I started 5 days ago but new zits are still coming up :(. I don't know if me being on my period has something to do with it?

Hi Vallegirl,

Well like I said, I self diagnosed it based on what I have read and also the fact that it got worse through the use of anti-biotics. Also, basically if it itches a lot, is mostly on your chest, back, arms, torso in general, head, but sparing the face it is a good chance its fungal. One of the things that confirmed it for me was using some Lotrimin, which is athletes foot fungus cream on some of the papules. They went away within 36 hours. No other topical treatment I used responded that well. After using it a few times though it lost its effectiveness as the fungi adapts and the lotrimin just wasnt strong enough. When I was prescribed Doxycycline I had the most violent out break, that also confirmed it for me. I changed Derms and the new Derm actually listened to me and inclined to agree with me.

Hi Vallegirl,

Well like I said, I self diagnosed it based on what I have read and also the fact that it got worse through the use of anti-biotics. Also, basically if it itches a lot, is mostly on your chest, back, arms, torso in general, head, but sparing the face it is a good chance its fungal. One of the things that confirmed it for me was using some Lotrimin, which is athletes foot fungus cream on some of the papules. They went away within 36 hours. No other topical treatment I used responded that well. After using it a few times though it lost its effectiveness as the fungi adapts and the lotrimin just wasnt strong enough. When I was prescribed Doxycycline I had the most violent out break, that also confirmed it for me. I changed Derms and the new Derm actually listened to me and inclined to agree with me.

Hi BumpyEllsworth,

Like you, I am self-diagnosing myself with pityrosporum folliculitis. Though I could be way wrong. I've tried seeing derms but after $160 in co-pays, I get no help from them (I've seen a lot). They don't seem to understand the conditions of my face. I've been a long time sufferer of seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp. I have that under control by using an expensive antifungal foam called Extina, and a pryrithone zinc shampoo. However, over this past winter, I started to focus in on a patch of what I thought to be clogged pores that come and go on the cheek area of the right side of my face. I went to one derm, she really had nothing to say, she wanted to remove a mole on my thigh. No help there. I went to another derm and she said it was SD. The antifungal cream she gave me didn't really help.

So I gave up. This is when I started using argan oil as a facial moisturizer, and mineral oil as a makeup removal. BIG mistake. One of those left me a bumpy, rashy, tiny red pustules all across my forehead. They are so tiny and not very noticeable.

They are slightly itchy. The bumps on my cheek are that their worst also, my overall complexion couldn't be worse.

I am self-diagnosing the rash to be pityrosporum folliculitis, but if it's bacterial or fungal, I don't know. I'd prefer not seeing a derm, as I don't feel like they would be of any help.

I am at my all time low here.