Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm new here so hi everyone! A few days ago, I had a pimple on my chin. No big deal, I popped it and moved on. The next day I had two more.. popped some, some were cystic, some weren't.

Basically, long story short, it feels like everything has just blended together under there and the bottom half of my chin is a giant pimple. It's very swollen (hard), red, and painful (the usual - I get cysts occasionally). I never used to care about treating this kind of thing but now my acne is greatly improving and I hate having this on my face. In addition, my whole chin is extremely painful.

I've read about creams, hot compresses, ice, cortisol shots (not an option), toothpaste but has anyone tried anything that ACTUALLY works? I'm not looking to make it go away overnight, I know that won't happen. Just something to treat it. And I WON'T touch it anymore!

Thank you!

Ugh, that sounds horrible :( I feel your pain. I was having wonderfully clear skin (just old scars from past cysts) for 6 months until the other day and now I have this big, swollen cyst on the corner of my chin just sitting under the skin. It itches and is impossible to not think about or want to rub it to relieve the itchiness.

I wish I could give you some solid advice on what to do now - I feel like I've been in that situation in the past where my whole chin feels like one big, inflamed, lumpy cyst. Really the best thing is to not touch it, like you said you wouldn't, especially with your hands! Just makes it way, way worse. If you need to relieve the itchiness maybe just get a clean towel and run it under cold water and hold it on the affected area to help calm it down. Have you tried using anything (like ACV) to dry out the cysts or bring them to a head? Sometimes that helps, sometimes it just makes the skin more sensitive. I really do honestly believe the best thing to do is just leave them be and your skin is supposed to heal itself (as long as you aren't getting new cysts in those same areas).

For me I've just realized recently that the cystic acne I'm getting is because of coffee. (Either the coffee, or the large amounts of caffeine in the coffee - but I'm more convinced it's something else in coffee that does it.) Anyway, for most people I believe that acne is diet-related. I didn't until I stumbled upon the idea that coffee could be causing it for me and now I'm positive that's what it is. I know everyone is different though. But if you figure out what is causing the cysts then you can adjust accordingly and your skin should heal and get rid of the cysts on it's own in a month or so when there's nothing additional aggravating the skin.

Good luck, I know it can be depressing to feel like you have no control over this stuff.

Aloe skin gel will help get rid of the pain on your chin, as well as greatly reduce redness and inflammation. (2.99 at GNC)

Start washing your face with a gentle cleanser (no active ingredient)

If you have insurance try clindamycin 1% gel and apply to your whole face (great anti-biotic and doesn't irritate your face/leave residue).

If you don't have insurance just try a 10% BP from the drug store.

Start using 100% Tea tree oil as a spot treatment or another one you find that works for you.

Twice a day

GL

I've read about creams, hot compresses, ice, cortisol shots (not an option), toothpaste but has anyone tried anything that ACTUALLY works? I'm not looking to make it go away overnight, I know that won't happen. Just something to treat it. And I WON'T touch it anymore!

Thank you!

I know the feeling. I get frustrated with spot treatments too. Sometimes, ice can help the swelling and pain a little (just a few minutes with the ice wrapped in a paper towel). Benzoyl peroxide can help it heal a little faster, I've had a little luck with benzoyl peroxide but it can also be very drying and a little irritating in higher concentrations, so if you have sensitive skin, you might want to try a 2.5 or 5% concentration first before trying a 10%. I tried sulfur. Some people swear by it (like mario badescu or proactiv refining mask). It just really irritated and dried my skin, didn't work for me. I haven't tried tea tree. I like to use beautypedia.com to check out the reviews on anti-acne products before I buy them. Basically, make sure you don't buy any spot treatments that have a bunch of alcohol or menthol in them, because that will just really irritate it, which can increase inflammation.

I tried the diet thing (low glycemic, no dairy, nothing but water for beverages), it seemed like it was helping some for a while but I don't think it's the whole reason for me.