Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aviont

Info. about hydroquinone..

I'm a 18yrs. old guy, has passed through the acne days for past few months.. believe me, those were some bad old days.. Whatever, now i'm left with red/brown marks which looks horrible(those horrible pics are there in my previous post of this forum). Currently its turmeric which i'm depending on, previously i failed with aloe vera from the plant!

So, the actual point is that, i have seen various posts about hydroquinone and those posts seems optimistic about this product. But before going to any conclusion i need to know more information about it. Please share any kind of info. you know about HYDROQUINONE.

I'd suggest using something other than hydroquinone, but that's just me...

In my experience with hydroquinone, it made me break out badly. My acne got worse after I applied it, which defeated the entire purpose of buying it to make my red marks go away in the first place. One of my marks had a weird reaction, and now it's a white scar, a different color from the rest of my skin.

Also...

"[hydroquinone] use is banned in some countries, including the member states of the European Union under Directive 76/768/EEC:1976.

In 2006, the United States Food and Drug Administration revoked its previous approval of hydroquinone and proposed a ban on all over-the-counter preparations. The FDA stated that hydroquinone cannot be ruled out as a potential carcinogen. This conclusion was reached based on the extent of absorption in humans and the incidence of neoplasms in rats in several studies where adult rats were found to have increased rates of tumours, including thyroid follicular cell hyperplasias, anisokaryosis, mononuclear cell leukemia, hepatocellular adenomas and renal tubule cell ademonas. The Campaign for Safe Cosmetics has also highlighted concerns.

Numerous studies have revealed that hydroquinone can cause exogenous ochronosis, a disfiguring disease in which blue-black pigments are deposited onto the skin."

You have other options. You should consider a product that contains Retinol (RoC, Derma E). It is a milder form of Retin-A (prescription strength, can only be obtained through a doctor) so it doesn't make you as peely and flaky like Retin-A would. I'm using Derma E Vitamin A Creme for my leftover hyperpigmentation. Retinoids (Retin-A, Accutane, Retinol, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Glycolic Acid) are a "class of chemical compounds that are related chemically to Vitamin A" (Wikipedia). I went on Accutane which encouraged my skin to exfoliate like crazy. That helped with some of the red and brown marks too. Retinoids encourage cell turnover and exfoliation. They unglue the dead skin layers that cause the marks to stay on your face for a long period of time so that fresh new skin can emerge.

I personally like hydroquinone, I use proactiv's skin lightening lotion. I was using porcelana's skin lightening lotion, it seemed to help, but I wasn't sure if all the ingredients in it were good for acne prone skin so I switched. I have not had any problems with it turning my skin colors or anything so far.

I like hydroquinone because I can't afford Accutane or Retin-A or any of that. The hydroquinone I use costs... $7. I use one called Nadinola, it's sold in Walgreens.

I don't like it because it gives me blackheads and some areas of my face get red if I use it there..

honestly I use it solely for my sun spots now.