Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi, about a year ago I spent a lot of time googling for information about microdermabrasion solutions that could be done at home. This was one of the sites that I lurked on for a while. Having (finally!) found something that makes a difference, I wanted to contribute this info.

I'm 41 and, over the past few years, my adult acne has largely cleared up, presumably because of normal hormonal changes. But my nose, though much less greasy than it used to be, remains very deeply pitted with wide pores that contain deep-seated blackheads. It's also a big fleshy nose, which doesn't help. :(

Got interested in microdermabrasion but was too shy to go to a salon. I read some good reviews of Microdermx, though they were anecdotal and a bit old, and I managed to find it reasonably priced on ebay. I hoped that this would be a reliable source but in fact I've never seen it there again. It can be ordered from the official Microdermx site in the US, I order one jar at a time (alternating between the rub and moisturiser) and haven't been any charged customs fees (I'm in the UK).

I used it intensively for at least 4 months. The official site has lots of info about how to apply it - you just put it on and rub until the product goes smooth and comes off as little white bits. There is a knack and you have to use sufficient product, you learn through trial and error. The rubbing makes your skin very red but this goes away completely - I used it in the evening, sometimes very late, and by morning there was no redness.

After the rubbing, you rinse your face and put on the moisturiser. This stuff is fantastic!!! It feels lovely and, at that time, was the only cream I'd ever used that didn't irritate the skin around my eyes.

I was doing this every other day, by and large. It's true that the process makes your skin feel ultra-soft immediately afterwards, but I think it took a couple of weeks to notice any difference in how it looked. After about 6 weeks, I felt certain that it was having a beneficial effect.

Unfortunately, I didn't keep it up - after a while, I got lazy and just fell out of the habit, plus I think part of me was curious to see if there would be a noticeable change from not using it, i.e. had it *really* made a difference or was I kidding myself? This became apparent over time - I hadn't been kidding myself. So I ordered some fresh Microdermx recently and, to my relief, I'm seeing the improvements begin all over again.

The benefits I experienced were:

1) Open pores appeared reduced in size.

2) Blackheads were less apparent and I didn't have to clear them out as often.

3) The overall appearance of the skin was greatly improved. I remember that the very first thing I noticed was that my nose was sort of merging with the rest of my face, like the skin from my cheeks was the same as the skin over my nose, and my nose was looking more whole. It's hard to explain if you don't have this issue, but it was a very real and dramatic change.

So instead of looking like an adult with repulsive blackheads, I did begin to look more like someone who had suffered from acne in the past and just had some scarring left over. I even - and this is mindblowing, because I've only just remembered it now as I type this - started going out without make-up, if it was just round to the local shop.

Better stop - sorry for the wall of text! I just wanted to share :)

Edited by Irisse

i have the most horrendous large pores ever and Im so interested in this..Do you cleanse first then apply? Can you post a picture?

i have the most horrendous large pores ever and Im so interested in this..Do you cleanse first then apply? Can you post a picture?

The actual instructions are here and they're pretty good - this is where I started:

www.microdermx.com/holistic_Skin_Tips.html

Like they say, it works best if you wash your face first and just dry it lightly, so that it stays a bit moist but not dripping wet. Tend to use it after my shower - don't know if that's a good idea or not but it's convenient.

The instructions say that you need a bit of product the 'size of a pea' and should dot areas with it. I use one bigger bit and just spread it around the bit I want to scrub - there's trial and error at this point at first, don't worry about it. I recommend that the first few times you are generous with the amount, so that you see how it should turn out - when it doesn't turn out the way it should, it's probably because you didn't use enough product.

You're meant to do your whole face in patches but I always do my nose and the cheek area near it, and do other bits if and when I feel like it or have time. Definitely do NOT dot your face all over with the stuff in one go, as you can only rub one area at a time - by the time you've finished one bit, all the other bits of scrub will be drying out.

Also - and this is embarrassing but I should be honest - although in the video she rubs slowly and gently, I ended up taking a less graceful approach! I rub quite hard and fast, and use two hands when doing my nose - using the three middle fingertips on each hand to rub, so I can cover the whole area. I think it's best to just find the way that suits you - all that matters is getting the results.

It's tempting to do it more than once per session, but I don't think there's any point. I have tried it and the second time it just doesn't seem to work - I guess microdermabrasion doesn't have a drill-down effect, it just removes a very top-layer and you can't force it to do more.

When you're rubbing, you reach a point when you can feel the cream getting smooth, and eventually it seems to disappear and you're just rubbing your skin - you need to keep rubbing, until little white bits appear and fall off your face (position yourself over a sink to catch them). I can remember laughing at the video and being VERY skeptical about this idea that these bits are all the old skin - surely it's just the product coming off?! - but it really does remove flaking skin so I guess there is skin in there too.

Even with regular facial scrubs, I've always found it hard to cope with the poor skin quality on my nose, with dry patches that make applying makeup difficult. Make-up is so much easier to put on with the regular microdermabrasion - it wasn't until I'd stopped using the stuff for a while and started running into this issue again that I remembered what a nuisance it is. Also, there are two points on my nose where I frequently got big red bumps that seemed just filled with blood rather than being spots, and they'd stay around for ages - the microdermabrasion fixed them and I don't get them anymore.

Microdermx didn't remove my large pores but it made all the pores appear smaller, and I'm certain that it had a flattening effect on the really stretched pores that run across the middle of my nose. I didn't start out with any particular idea of how to measure this (balked at the idea of taking photos), but one emerged...

My nose gets shiny during the day, and the mirror in the bathroom at work is particularly unforgiving - the lighting seems designed to highlight every pore. I could even see the big ones when I glanced in the mirror as I walked by. Over time, I realised that the long shine on my nose was increasingly 'whole', uninterrupted by the pores. I had to stop and come over to the mirror to see them. That was the point at which I knew for certain that it was having an effect, and over time I had to peer closer and closer to see the extent of the pores. When I stopped using the stuff for a while, the reverse process occurred.

So I have no doubt that it really helped, and I would recommend it. I only put off buying more because I was hoping to find a UK reseller, now I'm resigned to importing it directly. It's not cheap but it lasts a while and certainly long enough for you to establish whether or not it works for you. Over my life, I've spent much more on solutions that did nothing at all...

Edited by Irisse

thank you so much..i just viewed the video and its so tempting...im so tired of degunking my pores in my chin every night...i would love to shrink them so crap doesnt get lodged in there...i think im going to purchase...are you still having results?

thank you so much..i just viewed the video and its so tempting...im so tired of degunking my pores in my chin every night...i would love to shrink them so crap doesnt get lodged in there...i think im going to purchase...are you still having results?

Yes - I started again about a month ago so have to go through it all again but at least I know what to expect. I'm only doing it twice a week (trying to make it last) and am thinking that I might do it alternate days again, just to get a good start with it. Not sure if the frequency matters in the long-term, but maybe that's why I had dramatic results with it last year.

I'm not sure if the improvements will plateau after a while, but I intend to stick with it this time and find out - I don't know if it's possible to 'cure' open pores this way? Perhaps you have to have the full salon treatment for that. But I've now accepted that this is a long-term commitment, and there may never be a point at which I can stop completely without losing the positive effects.

After a few months of Microdermx, I still had to squeeze from time to time, but the blackheads were smaller and less black - instead of being constantly there, I started experiencing longer phases where there didn't seem to be anything much to squeeze, and they built up slowly. Definitely helped with the de-gunking! :)