Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
quercus

Doxycycline hyclate & zinc

Greetings all, this is my first post on here :)

I am 32, and have suffered with moderate acne since my late twenties. I've tried an array of treatments over the years, including topical antibiotics/birthcontol/antibiotics etc. When I stop using any treatment my acne comes back with a real vengence and I have quite a few scars from them too.

For the last 3 years or so I was using lymecycline/differin/BP which seemed to work quite well at keeping my acne at bay. However, I have recently re-located to NZ where lymecycline isn't prescribed. The doc immedinately suggested accutane, but my current status means I would have to pay in full for the treatment and unfortunately it is not an option financially for me.

As an alternative I am currently taking 100mg of doxycycline hyclate and using differin at night. For the most part this works quite well (although I still suffer from residual redness/scarring a few small spots). However, I currently have a couple of really large cystic spots on my jawline, and my regime doesn't seem to be shifting these at all.

I was thinking of adding in a high dose of zinc, but wasn't sure how this impacts on the effectiveness of the doxy?

I eat a vegetarian wholefood diet with no dairy. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions, particularly in relation to the addition of zinc?

:shifty: