Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luisa

Breaking out from too much coconut oil on diet?

I wonder if anyone has experienced a breakout that they know for sure is from eating too much coconut oil or may be even saturated fats like butter? and how much saturated fat you have on your diet?

I have started to look into this, because this past month I got a pretty bad break out from nothing like before, 4 big pimples on my cheek, which I have never had like this before. I have a suspicion that it could have been because I increased the amount of coconut oil on my diet. I started eating may be between two and three tablespoons a day and before I usually would have no more than one tablespoon. I'm also quite sure I have trouble processing too much fat on my diet. I'm now back to my previous amount of coconut oil, not more than one tablespoon and will see if that helps.

Also I should mention I don't really believe in this theory of die off candida thing. Because to start with I don't have any other symptom of candida, I don't feel tired or things like that.

If coconut oil is making you break out (and that's a big if) then I have a feeling it might not be due to the saturated fat but rather the source it comes from which is obviously coconut in this case. Maybe you have an intolerance to it.

I don't think there's anyone that would say spinach is bad for you (at least I hope not.) However, just because it's healthy doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that might be allergic to it or have some form of intolerance to it (or something contained within the spinach.)

Not everything that is good for one person will be good for another. I can tolerate dairy very well on its own but when its in the form of a sweet or some type of candy/chocolate I get pretty bad cystic acne around my chin and ear area. The sugar alone makes me break out but not nearly as bad as when its mixed with dairy. But if I'm eating just a slice of cheese or milk I generally wont break out or I might get one small whitehead.

die off is quite real, but it feels like more than a few pimples. I did not believe it was real til I went through it :lol: It feels like the flu, headache, sore throat, very tired- it's really quite awful.

chunkylard,

Thanks for your tip, it might be a posibility but I think is in general fat what is affecting, I'm gonna reduce my fat intake this month even further to see how it goes. And then the next month I will just cut out coconut oil to see the reaction as well.

Ayla,

I think the die off could be true but it could also be that your liver is freaking out from an amount of fat that it's not used to. I didn't really experienced any other symptom other than the big pimples.

maybe oneday,

I understand your point but I consume a moderate amount of carbs and all of them are low GI, like steel cut oats, sweet potatos, butternut squash. Carbs don't seem to have a big effect on me, unless I go to extremes of course. I was for more than two months on a low carb diet, my acne got gradually worse and worse during that time, and I was consuming way more fat back then, my skin got really oily during that time so I think in my case there is a correlation. I have noticed before too that if I eat avocados frequently or nuts my acne just gets worse.

I don't think there's anyone that would say spinach is bad for you (at least I hope not.) However, just because it's healthy doesn't mean there isn't someone out there that might be allergic to it or have some form of intolerance to it (or something contained within the spinach.)

Some people need to be concerned about goitrogenic foods. And for whatever reason, I never see spinach on lists of hypoallergenic foods.

Also, there have been a few people in the past who've posted about their need to avoid fats/sat fats in threads full of plausible reasons and research. But I've never been able to find them again:

What I've been able to find is here in the Sebum, and Fat metabolism section of my Good Things lists: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...30#entry2637530

Also, there have been a few people in the past who've posted about their need to avoid fats/sat fats in threads full of plausible reasons and research. But I've never been able to find them again:

What I've been able to find is here in the Sebum, and Fat metabolism section of my Good Things lists: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Good-Acne...30#entry2637530

Thanks to all for your responses, I don't think Coconut oil in specific breaks me out, it's more related to too much fat I think, it just happened to be coconut oil the one fat that I increased last month. I was wondering if anyone else out here has experienced the same.

Alternavista thanks a lot for the link!!, I actually just started taking vitamin B6, B5 and Zinc this month and I'm thinking of adding the rest you mentioned there, I already get enough vitamin a in the form of beta carotone from sweet potatoes and butternut squash and that has already done great things for my complexion and oiliness. I started vitamin B6 because I get the kind of premenstrual pimples sometimes and I have read this should help combinated with Zinc.

Edited by Luisa

Try some Metamucil!

GO BLAZERS!!!

Edited by CoolGuy68

Thanks to all for your responses, I don't think Coconut oil in specific breaks me out, it's more related to too much fat I think, it just happened to be coconut oil the one fat that I increased last month. I was wondering if anyone else out here has experienced the same.

Alternavista thanks a lot for the link!!, I actually just started taking vitamin B6, B5 and Zinc this month and I'm thinking of adding the rest you mentioned there, I already get enough vitamin a in the form of beta carotone from sweet potatoes and butternut squash and that has already done great things for my complexion and oiliness. I started vitamin B6 because I get the kind of premenstrual pimples sometimes and I have read this should help combinated with Zinc.

When I first stared taking coconut oil I got about 5 huge cysts on my chin. However, it only lasted a week and then subsided. If you continue getting them it is probably because you are detoxing through your skin. Sometimes if I eat way to many fatty foods like beef, coconut oil, butter etc I think it makes me breakout. But I am still not sure. Try to eat high fat, moderate protein, and low carb. Also balance your omega 3's and 6's .. Good luck :)