Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
facne

Dry Skin and Hair Prior to Accutane

Hi everyone, just curious if anyone had dry skin and/or hair prior to taking accutane.

If you have dry hair prior to accutane, is it more likely that you will experience hair loss?

Can you go with a smaller dose if you already have dry skin?

Anyone?

I have acne on dry skin. My skin/hair was never oily pre-Accutane, yet I still had acne.

On Accutane I've had no hair loss whatsoever, although I've always been told I have "thick" hair and there's no history of hair loss in the family.

My skin has not been significantly drier, but I had a couple of very minor rashes on my hands and arms that were easily treated with help from my derm.

Bottom line: if you start treatment and are getting significant hair loss or anything else that is making you uncomfortable, stop treatment and ring your derm.

Edited by jimmy188

I just read that the "dryness" is different from when one uses bp and or a retnoid. Is this true? What is the dryness like?

Well, Accutane not only reduces oil production but also dehydrates your body, leaving some people with headaches and others with mild dry skin rashes, all of which are predictable, dose-dependent, manageable and reversible though.

Preventative measures: avoid the sun or wear suncream, use moisturiser, apply lip balm and drink lots of water (3L/day).

Edited by jimmy188