Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carolyns

Fraxel for brown skin

Hi - just was wondering if there is anyone out there who has tan or brown skin who has had fraxel? I have some indented scars and my Dr. suggested Fraxel but I am concerned about PIH......if you could share your experience that would be awesome!!

Fraxel is not for people with darker skin tones. I'm extremely extremely pale and when I went to my derm, she told me that if I were any tanner than I am now, I would not be able to have Fraxel done.

I wouldn't recommend even trying it.

Hi - just was wondering if there is anyone out there who has tan or brown skin who has had fraxel? I have some indented scars and my Dr. suggested Fraxel but I am concerned about PIH......if you could share your experience that would be awesome!!

Ok a few things.

There are 3 different Fraxel lasers.

From Fraxels website:

"Fraxel re:fine Treatment: This fractional, non-ablative treatment delivers a gentle yet effective option for skin rejuvenation and resurfacing.

Fraxel re:store Treatment: This flagship Fraxel system is the gold standard for non-ablative skin resurfacing and rejuvenation.

Fraxel re:pair Treatment: This fractional treatment CO2 laser is an aggressive treatment for moderate to severe photo damage. "

Re:fine is the weakest and most gentle and basically safe on almost all skin types. The new at home Palovia uses the same wavelength as Re:fine. This is erbium based

Re:store is also erbium based but stronger than Re:fine. This is non-ablative fractional technology. This can be used on darker patients under a skilled doctors hands. The skin should probably be prepped for 2 weeks prior to use via a mixture of hydroquinone 4% mixed with retin-a and a steroid.

Re:pair is ablative fractional CO2. This is best for lighter skinned patients, but again if a doctor is very skilled, and the patient has been treated for a couple weeks before the actual procedure with hydroquinone/retin-a/steroid mixture, then side effects can be limited.

Re:pair is the strongest and causes the most thermal damage. This thermal damage zone is good and bad. Good in that it promotes healing and collagen production. Bad in that it can cause pigment issues, either hyperpigmentation, or more comonly with C02 is hypopigmentation.

Hyperpigmentation is reversible, but can take many months of bleaching. Hypopigmentation for the most part is permanent loss of skin color.

re:fine and re:store which are erbium based, use a different wavelength which causes very little to no thermal damage, meaning the risk for pigment problems is reduced, but so is the end result.

In conclusion, brown skin, depending on how brown you are can be treated with the various Fraxels when proper skin pre and post care is practiced.

Edited by sanjoseskin

Fraxel is not for people with darker skin tones. I'm extremely extremely pale and when I went to my derm, she told me that if I were any tanner than I am now, I would not be able to have Fraxel done.

I wouldn't recommend even trying it.

One girl did it and she said she was of Indian background with brown skin (obviously) and she said her success from fraxel though, they go lighter.

so is the end result.

In conclusion, brown skin, depending on how brown you are can be treated with the various Fraxels when proper skin pre and post care is practiced.

You know via research or personal experience? Have you did laser and if so, what was your outcome? Successful? Worth while?

Edited by mrjarjarbinks77

You know via research or personal experience? Have you did laser and if so, what was your outcome? Successful? Worth while?

I have not had Fraxel re:fine, re:pair, or re:store. However, I have had full face ablative resurfacing with the Sciton laser. This was over ten years ago when fractional wasn't available yet and doctors did barbaric full face ablasion. Did not help my scars at all, waste of money.

I've also had Pixel fractional, which I knew wouldn't dramatically help my scars, but it does help minor surface texture issues. It is also safe for most skin types as it is erbium based.

As far as CO2 fractional goes, I would not choose Fraxel brand. I would go with Lumenis brand instead. I believe Lumenis is a superior CO2 fractional compared to Fraxel branded Co2, because it can actually go deeper with less thermal damage. Lumenis Deep Fx is the deepest penetrating Co2 fractional on the market, and offers the least amount of thermal damage for the depth it goes. There is also more research behind Lumenis Deep Fx and Total Fx for scars and burns, compared to Fraxel. Actually, in my opinion I would say Fraxel C02 shouldn't be used on burn victims due to Fraxel C02 larger thermal zone compared to Lumenis. This is all my opinion, I'm not a doctor.

In terms of being used on brown skin. The reason I know is, well because I know a lot about acne scars and lasers, and I've had discussions with doctors on the subject of lasers on different skin types. Now obviously, if you are really dark brown, no amount of pre-prep is going to make your skin safe for CO2, however depending on how dark you are, you could still potentionally be a great candidate for Erbium based Fraxel.

Edited by sanjoseskin

No way. Terrible for anyone who can tan. Only white people who turn kinda pink in the sun are good for it.

I have not had Fraxel re:fine, re:pair, or re:store. However, I have had full face ablative resurfacing with the Sciton laser. This was over ten years ago when fractional wasn't available yet and doctors did barbaric full face ablasion. Did not help my scars at all, waste of money.

I've also had Pixel fractional, which I knew wouldn't dramatically help my scars, but it does help minor surface texture issues. It is also safe for most skin types as it is erbium based.

As far as CO2 fractional goes, I would not choose Fraxel brand. I would go with Lumenis brand instead. I believe Lumenis is a superior CO2 fractional compared to Fraxel branded Co2, because it can actually go deeper with less thermal damage. Lumenis Deep Fx is the deepest penetrating Co2 fractional on the market, and offers the least amount of thermal damage for the depth it goes. There is also more research behind Lumenis Deep Fx and Total Fx for scars and burns, compared to Fraxel. Actually, in my opinion I would say Fraxel C02 shouldn't be used on burn victims due to Fraxel C02 larger thermal zone compared to Lumenis. This is all my opinion, I'm not a doctor.

In terms of being used on brown skin. The reason I know is, well because I know a lot about acne scars and lasers, and I've had discussions with doctors on the subject of lasers on different skin types. Now obviously, if you are really dark brown, no amount of pre-prep is going to make your skin safe for CO2, however depending on how dark you are, you could still potentionally be a great candidate for Erbium based Fraxel.

So, where are you at with scars? Any success? What have you tried? I was going to checkout a consultation but, the place was around for only 3yrs. They mention a doctor but, they have no doctor do the laser so, that wont happen to be something I pay for.

The most frustrating of all this experience is that, I have not ate pizza in a decade. I do not eat anything with sugar what so ever. I haven't had pop since before my senior year of high school. I cut juice ages ago. I've had little success with altering my diet as well as supplements. The only thing that ever did anything of any significance was antibiotics and topical. What is horrible is that, I am all about my organics, holistic nutrition, and yet, I needed to put that down to take a topical. This was the only thing I ever had success with. Proactive is a joke. Oxy, and over the counter items are as well.

It pains me to see how people disrespect their body, eat awful crappy carbs, fatty foods, unhealthy sugar ridden food and yet, my salad and no dressing meal ends with a breakout or so I had experienced. It was very frustrating. Some days are harder then others. Trying to work on making the best confident me there is despite scarring. If you have any further experience or tips or words of advice, I am open to opinion.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk154/E...-alone-face.png

^ Don't want that.

Edited by mrjarjarbinks77

So, where are you at with scars? Any success? What have you tried? I was going to checkout a consultation but, the place was around for only 3yrs. They mention a doctor but, they have no doctor do the laser so, that wont happen to be something I pay for.

The most frustrating of all this experience is that, I have not ate pizza in a decade. I do not eat anything with sugar what so ever. I haven't had pop since before my senior year of high school. I cut juice ages ago. I've had little success with altering my diet as well as supplements. The only thing that ever did anything of any significance was antibiotics and topical. What is horrible is that, I am all about my organics, holistic nutrition, and yet, I needed to put that down to take a topical. This was the only thing I ever had success with. Proactive is a joke. Oxy, and over the counter items are as well.

It pains me to see how people disrespect their body, eat awful crappy carbs, fatty foods, unhealthy sugar ridden food and yet, my salad and no dressing meal ends with a breakout or so I had experienced. It was very frustrating. Some days are harder then others. Trying to work on making the best confident me there is despite scarring. If you have any further experience or tips or words of advice, I am open to opinion.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk154/E...-alone-face.png

^ Don't want that.

I don't know what eating carbs has anything to do with scars you have already formed.

Are you talking about scars or acne?

As far as my skin goes, I'm almost free of the outward appearance of scars.

No way. Terrible for anyone who can tan. Only white people who turn kinda pink in the sun are good for it.

Your statements are slightly incorrect, and you should clarify which Fraxel you are referring to. As I pointed out above, there are three different Fraxels, not all three are dangerous to tan skin.

Edited by sanjoseskin