Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Azaan1691

How do you determine what breaks you out most?

Ok so I, like several hundred of you around here, have a persistently MILD form of acne which sees me maintain about 1-2 light red patches/lesions on either cheek, and the odd spot or two on a weekly basis. Although the primary concern of course as always, is the massive rate of sebum production my skin tends to produce, and thus converts to oil and a shiny face = ultimately spots and more persistent marks (hormonal).

Now I have a fairly decent diet like many. Drink over 8-10 glasses of water daily, eat fruit and vegetables etc take my vitamins. Life style habits are decent too. But my question is, how can one determine what breaks them out most?

Like for example I see a lot of people break out persistently through drinking milk (as in the very next days or hours later) or other dairy produce. I do a hell of a lot of things, and I don't do a lot of things, so I seem a little unsure and new to these obsessive routines and habits. What interests me is how eating, drinking, or doing certain activities can further worsen our skin; just as much as not doing nothing, or not eating enough, or having a certain deficiency we don't know about can affect it.

Im at that 'inbetweener' stage where my acne is massively under control, but lets itself down due to my oily face being persistent. The whole: one step forward, two steps back thing. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Azaan1691

Ok so I, like several hundred of you around here, have a persistently MILD form of acne which sees me maintain about 1-2 light red patches/lesions on either cheek, and the odd spot or two on a weekly basis. Although the primary concern of course as always, is the massive rate of sebum production my skin tends to produce, and thus converts to oil and a shiny face = ultimately spots and more persistent marks (hormonal).

Now I have a fairly decent diet like many. Drink over 8-10 glasses of water daily, eat fruit and vegetables etc take my vitamins. Life style habits are decent too. But my question is, how can one determine what breaks them out most?

Like for example I see a lot of people break out persistently through drinking milk (as in the very next days or hours later) or other dairy produce. I do a hell of a lot of things, and I don't do a lot of things, so I seem a little unsure and new to these obsessive routines and habits. What interests me is how eating, drinking, or doing certain activities can further worsen our skin; just as much as not doing nothing, or not eating enough, or having a certain deficiency we don't know about can affect it.

Im at that 'inbetweener' stage where my acne is massively under control, but lets itself down due to my oily face being persistent. The whole: one step forward, two steps back thing. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

This is very thought-provoking. My personal belief is that many of the dietary issues that people seem to have with their acne may be false. This certainly doesn't mean all of them are, but I've seen quite a few things along the lines of "I had INSERT IGNORE FOOD ITEM HERE and broke out the next day!" I think a lot of these people are just eagerly creating a cause-and-effect relationship where one doesn't really exist. Doesn't acne take more time than simply a day to form? I could be mistaken but I think it does.

Anyway, I think the only way to truly see if a substance of any type causes acne is to go a while with that substance in your life at a normal level, then take it away and wait for A LONG AMOUNT OF TIME to see if there's a huge difference. Several weeks or more, I think.

Beyond this though, I think unless a person is immunocompromised, nutrient-deficient, suffering from some sort of disease, etc (biologically "sensitive"), I don't think many of those weird diet things out there don't really help much. I could be totally wrong, though. As for substances touching the face or clogging the pores, I do consider that to be a real possibility.

Primarily though... hormones hormones hormones! We could all claim a variety of things are causing acne, but unless we had acne before puberty, there IS going to be an underlying biological component, and that's going to be the strongest factor in the presence of those ever-annoying zits.

By the way, for anyone reading this who firmly believes a specific diet item (ie dairy) can cause or exacerbate acne, have you notified your dermatologist about this? I'm curious about what a medical doctor has said on that issue.

EDIT: Actually I just found an abstract in NCBI and a couple articles across the internet about milk and acne... It appears there might be a correlation after all... hmm!

Edited by hatori