Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Smack'd

Protein Shakes

Is it okay to drink protein powders with milk? I have a lot of red acne marks on my face and people say that milk makes them redder. I think this might be true, but I haven't drunken milk ever since my initial breakout like 1-2 months ago. I still eat dairy products, but don't really see any change in my acne.

Also, I started eating "Nature Valley" chewy bars like 2 weeks ago and got like 2-3 HUGE break outs. Idk if I should blame them, but the thing did say "Contains milk, soy, and seed ingredients."

Any input would be nice because I wanna start working out again. I've been on like a 3 month hiatus because of my acne(dumb, i know.), but slowly getting back into it.

Thanks.

Also, please don't say "use water instead."(Unless you have good reason to)

Whey protein already contains milk and some other dairy products, and I don't get the same "UMPH" from water. I read it absorbs the protein better with milk and doesn't do the same effect with water(anyone know anything about this?)

It also tastes better overall.

Sup Mike!

I use almond milk in my protein shakes and don't have any problems, also I find that whatever I eat doesn't really bother my skin as long as I have a good sleep schedule, though I'm not sure how this works, but sleep is definitely important for overall health, workout recovery, balancing hormones, and more.

Thanks tim12!

I just did some research on almond milk and it seems like a really good alternative. Hope I can find some at my grocery stores.

Question for the holistic people..

Is there a difference between almond milk and normal milk when using it with protein powder? Which gives the better consumption/absorption? It most likely doesn't really matter but I like to know these kinds of things if anyone knows about them.. lol.

Edited by Mad Mike

Yeah, I use water because it's not a big deal to me but almond milk will probably make it taste even better than cow's milk would. It's got that "milkshake" sort of taste. Cow's milk will also slow down your digestion, which you should know is not what you want after a work-out. You need that protein/nutrients ASAP.

You should honestly cut the dairy. There isn't much to gain from it, and once you've learned to live without it, it's not even a big deal anymore. Granola bars aren't TOO bad on the occasion that you're on the go but I'd go for a better brand than Nature's Valley. Try Kashi or something organic.

I run/work-out 5-6 days a week, and it took me a while to get it in my head that I can still eat healthy (good for acne) food and give my body what it needs to progress. As a matter of fact, I feel way better than I did before eating that junk. (I used to think milk was cool after a work-out for the protein and carbs, and I also ate a LOT of crappy grains like granola bars, cereals, and breads)

If you have any more questions just lemme know. I had a lot myself when I started on this journey.

What protein shakes do you all use? Assuming the don't have any negative impact on your skin, I was thinking of trying them to gain weight..

Yes, I am female...but I have lost a lot of weight from being sick and need to gain it back.

Thanks tim12!

I just did some research on almond milk and it seems like a really good alternative. Hope I can find some at my grocery stores.

Question for the holistic people..

Is there a difference between almond milk and normal milk when using it with protein powder? Which gives the better consumption/absorption? It most likely doesn't really matter but I like to know these kinds of things if anyone knows about them.. lol.

My personal recommendation is use water post-workout and almond milk any other time. I only take whey post-workout though, and I just make something to eat any other time. The point of people suggesting milk is that it slows the absorption of the whey (combining it with the casein protein) so that your muscles have a more steady stream of it. But honestly, the almond milk will do just as good of a job slowing down the absorption. I don't really recommend casein protein. If you want a slower-digesting protein eat some eggs.

What protein shakes do you all use? Assuming the don't have any negative impact on your skin, I was thinking of trying them to gain weight..

Yes, I am female...but I have lost a lot of weight from being sick and need to gain it back.

http://www.amazon.com/Whey-Protein-Certifi...d/dp/B004AC06FS

That kind. You can get an un-organic kind for cheaper, but I'd still stick with the unflavored. It's up to you though. The flavored uses mostly stevia as a sweetener.

Honestly though, you don't need it unless you live a really busy lifestyle. It's not like it's going to taste delicious or anything (unless you throw it in the smoothie, but that's not the whey). You can get plenty from eating just plain ol' food.

I have already added an additional 500 calories and I just can't gain anything. Does whey protein have any impact on the skin that you have noticed?

Thanks. :)

I currently take whey protein shakes on a daily basis, usually 2-3 per day and have no breakout issues. I can say, however, that I did break out from taking casein protein shakes as well as from eating Detour protein bars. I would break out around the mouth with large pimples from both products.

I have already added an additional 500 calories and I just can't gain anything. Does whey protein have any impact on the skin that you have noticed?

Thanks. :)

Not anything I've noticed. But I only take a scoop 4-5 times a week. Plus I can imagine that I'd only be better off without it.

If you feel it's what you need to gain that weight back then by all means go for it. It's not worth worrying about in my opinion :P

And yeah, definitely avoid the casein. It's sticky protein.

how about soy protein? Im gonna start using it with water but guess you could use it soy milk?

Great for muscles, but not so much for your skin. It depends on how sensitive you are to it though. Either way, I'd still avoid the soy milk. I've never messed with soy myself though, what kind do you use?

Whichever protein powder you're using stick to isolates. It removes all the junk and just gives you what you need (the protein).

So Phresh, you're saying right after a workout have a protein shake with water? And if I wanted to with almond milk whenever? Sounds good but I've read how people say water doesn't work as well as milk does, but I guess they're wrong.

Also, I'm not getting REALLY into it, I just wanna look better. I wanted a better milk alternative because I also wanna eat cereal because I haven't ever since I stopped drinking milk. I've eaten dairy products like cheese and stuff, but no milk which is probably really stupid..

Anyways, yeah. I guess dairy gotta go.

Water will just give you the stuff straight so you can digest it as quick as possible. That way, the protein can get to repairing your muscles. You also need a good amount of carbs right after a work-out though.

If you want to drink it any other time, yeah you can do almond milk. Cow's milk is just messed up. MAYBE the casein can help your gains but it's going to hurt your body in other ways, and like you said, you want to look better. Ditch that junk.

If I ever have cereal (every now and then) it's with rice milk. I find it just perfect once you get used to the switch. It's not as thick as almond milk which I like.

http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/1/oi-jnsG0Z7Y

What did you think an extra 500 calories would do? Just get 1lb of protein per LB of bodyweight and lift until failure, divide it by 5-6 meals a day and you'll be peachy.

Um increasing my increasing my calorie intake is probably the most standard way to gain weight. I don't know why this needs an explanation....

http://www.youtube.com/user/scooby1961#p/u/1/oi-jnsG0Z7Y

What did you think an extra 500 calories would do? Just get 1lb of protein per LB of bodyweight and lift until failure, divide it by 5-6 meals a day and you'll be peachy.

We're talking about a female, and not someone who wants to "lift until failure".

Exactly.

One last thing, will the milk/soy and all that other stuff in protein powder make me break out? I drink whey protein, I can't think of the exact type, but it's the one that comes in a black container.

One last thing, will the milk/soy and all that other stuff in protein powder make me break out? I drink whey protein, I can't think of the exact type, but it's the one that comes in a black container.

Well go check up on it. Read the ingredient labels and see what you're getting. It shouldn't be doing much harm if you have the right kind. It also depends on how much you take. I mean if you're super into bodybuilding then you may feel you need to take way more but I certainly don't.

If your whey is filled with junk I'd recommend finishing it off and finding a healthier brand.

Milk breaks plenty of people out.

Nature Valley bars contain soy, milk and gluten, all 3 of which break people out.

Soy Milk contains soy (obviously) which contributes to estrogen in the body, which will impede your bodybuilding and contribute to acne.

Go with almond milk and hemp protein. Hemp is better absorbed by the body anyway.

Milk breaks plenty of people out.

Nature Valley bars contain soy, milk and gluten, all 3 of which break people out.

Soy Milk contains soy (obviously) which contributes to estrogen in the body, which will impede your bodybuilding and contribute to acne.

Go with almond milk and hemp protein. Hemp is better absorbed by the body anyway.

While hemp might be overall a better option for acne sufferers, it's not as high-quality of a protein as whey. Yes it is a complete protein, but it has smaller quantities of certain amino acids such as valine, tryptophan, isoleucine, and lysine. Another thing you want to look at is the absorption rate. Hemp is higher in fat (good fats, though) and REALLY high in fiber. This will slow down the absorption of it too much and that's not what you want post-workout. If you're going the hemp route, I suggest getting a brand with not-so-much fiber.

As for soy, kick the estrogen deal. It's simply a myth. The main point is soy is generally way too heavily processed (it's already genetically modified when it's planted in the ground). It will mess with your hormones/thyroid in other ways. But it won't make you any less of a man.

Great for muscles, but not so much for your skin. It depends on how sensitive you are to it though. Either way, I'd still avoid the soy milk. I've never messed with soy myself though, what kind do you use?

Whichever protein powder you're using stick to isolates. It removes all the junk and just gives you what you need (the protein).

Yeah the soy protein im using is an isolate and I will be drinking with water so should minimise any problems! I havent started using it yet as it hasnt arrived but I bought mine from myprotein.co.uk

hope you find something!

Yeah the soy protein im using is an isolate and I will be drinking with water so should minimise any problems! I havent started using it yet as it hasnt arrived but I bought mine from myprotein.co.uk

hope you find something!

Water won't minimize the detrimental effects of soy O_O. Unless maybe you were soaking the soybeans beforehand, but I highly doubt your soy protein isolate manufacturer did that.

Edited by chunkylard

Phresh, I sometimes workout at my school's fitness room, is it ok to drink the protein shake with water when I get home?(Around 2:30) Cause you said how right after a workout you should have it with water so it can get the stuff asap.

When I go to an actual gym to workout, I drink one right when I get home, so that's fine right?