Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wicky

Anti Depressants..which are the good ones that dont break you out

My family is very concerned for me. Im 43 and in a severe depression over the state of my skin. I cant get anything to work..Ive tried diet, supplement, antiobiotics. The problem is it is not cystic and I dont have giant pimples but I get welts everyday and the clogged pores that fill up my face everyday are a constant battle. I stand in the mirror for hours a day picking sebum out of my pores. they are huge and stuff gets lodged in then and if I dont pick they will turn into pimples. I have an appointment with a dr and want some opinions of anti depressants and how they affect our skin. Ive heard bad things regarding Paxil and some good with Remeron. I also have rosacea and they say the remeron has helped with flushing.. I would appreciated any replies...

No antidepressants are infamous for their affect on acne. Lithium is. I've been on many antidepressants and none affected my acne, but lithium sent my acne through the roof.

Clinical depression (the kind that is medically diagnosed and often treated with anti-depressants) is not caused by being sad about things (like how you're sad about your skin). It's a chemical imbalance in the brain.

But in answer to your question, causing acne is not a side-effect normally reported for anti-depressants.

For me, I think therapy can also be helpful - either in addition to or instead of antidepressants. I found medications alone wasn't enough for me, but it is for some people.

I have been on many different SSRI's. In my experience the only one that really affected my skin was prozac. It is hard to know for sure because depression and stress can contribute to acne but I did notice that my skin got worse once starting prozac. I was on zoloft for over a year and that really helped with anxiety and overall depression and did not break me out

I have been on many different SSRI's. In my experience the only one that really affected my skin was prozac. It is hard to know for sure because depression and stress can contribute to acne but I did notice that my skin got worse once starting prozac. I was on zoloft for over a year and that really helped with anxiety and overall depression and did not break me out

thanks for the responses...What are everyones thoughts on Remeron? Ive heard good things about this and it helps with flushing due to rosacea.