Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alicecooper

I think I am unable to TREAT acne with food

I havent eaten a typical acne stressor in months. When I used to eat typical acne sressors regularly, my acne was the same as it is now.

I was on this diet for months and before that was gluten free: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/diet-soWH...NE-t290642.html

the past few weeks I have been sticking to these foods: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/help-crit...67#entry3049967

Now I have gotten impatient with eliminating foods and for the past 5 days I have only eaten fruits/vegg/fish with very minimal seasonings. If I cant clear my face with this diet, then there is no diet that will because I HAVE to eat those foods, there is no way around that.

Of course there has been no change. In fact, there has been no change in the past 2-3 years that I have been eating much more healthy, compared to before when I was not eating that healthy.

I do have foods that cause me problems though. High glycemic meals will make my skin worse, binge drinking will make my skin worse, I suspect that almonds may make it worse but im not certain, I have developed a serious egg allergy out of nowhere(gas,digestional problems), beans and wheat bread give me similar symptoms of my egg allergy but are much less. so does miso soup

this fish(wild caught)/fruit/veg diet will probably be my last. I just cant heal my acne with food selection.

now i really dont know what to do

Sometimes it is not always about constant elimination of foods, but adding in choice foods/nutrients.

I know that eating liver regularly has had major benefits to my health (vitamin A and B12, most likely). Imo, your diet is way too restrictive, now, with the exception being if you were truly allergic to all those other foods you eliminated, which is highly unlikely.

Sometimes it is not always about constant elimination of foods, but adding in choice foods/nutrients.

I know that eating liver regularly has had major benefits to my health (vitamin A and B12, most likely). Imo, your diet is way too restrictive, now, with the exception being if you were truly allergic to all those other foods you eliminated, which is highly unlikely.

That's what I was trying to find out, if I had any responses to those foods that I eat. I could add liver, but why would it be necessary if I have a balanced diet already? There is no way I can be defeciant in any nutrients.

And what my diets have told me this far is that no matter what I eat my acne stays the same for the most part. Even if I eat foods that I AM allergic to, my skin is the same.

Acne says there is something wrong with my body, so far my diet doesn't help it or hurt it, now what?

Is it just my skin? Is it an injury inside me? Why isnt it healing? Can it really be stress, even though it never fluctuates? Its always 100% constant. What the hell could it be?

That's what I was trying to find out, if I had any responses to those foods that I eat. I could add liver, but why would it be necessary if I have a balanced diet already? There is no way I can be defeciant in any nutrients.

And what my diets have told me this far is that no matter what I eat my acne stays the same for the most part. Even if I eat foods that I AM allergic to, my skin is the same.

Acne says there is something wrong with my body, so far my diet doesn't help it or hurt it, now what?

Is it just my skin? Is it an injury inside me? Why isnt it healing? Can it really be stress, even though it never fluctuates? Its always 100% constant. What the hell could it be?

Vitamins come in different forms. Vitamin A from vegetables (beta-carotene) is vastly different than preformed vitamin A from animal products (retinol). Also, deficient is pretty subjective. The numbers the FDA gives as recommendations can be pretty low, plus everyone has different chemistry. The more you limit your diet, the greater the chance you run into trouble.

If you haven't seen a big difference from eliminating all these foods, then start adding some of them in and see what happens.

Vitamins come in different forms. Vitamin A from vegetables (beta-carotene) is vastly different than preformed vitamin A from animal products (retinol). Also, deficient is pretty subjective. The numbers the FDA gives as recommendations can be pretty low, plus everyone has different chemistry. The more you limit your diet, the greater the chance you run into trouble.

If you haven't seen a big difference from eliminating all these foods, then start adding some of them in and see what happens.

Im not omitting any foods that would cause my diet to be incomplete.

Yes i exercise 3-4 times per week.

A body that's been eating unhealthy for 19 years isn't going to change in 5 days. Takes time. I've been eating healthy now for almost a year and I've come a long way since then. Only gets better with time.

A body that's been eating unhealthy for 19 years isn't going to change in 5 days. Takes time. I've been eating healthy now for almost a year and I've come a long way since then. Only gets better with time.

completely disregarded all text prior to "5 days"

If you exercise then maybe you aren't getting enough energy, without eating sugar you need to eat more fat. If you are getting lots of sugar from fruits then maybe that's stalling you, have you tried low carb?

Maybe you should stop listening to idiots that don't have a background in Medicine or Pharmaceuticals, alicecooper.

Stick to a low GI diet, that's the only thing I recommend. And in the meantime, see an actual dermatologist to help with your skin condition. Combination BP/Erythromycin or Adapalene retinoids are working really well for most of our (European) patients.

Now I have gotten impatient with eliminating foods and for the past 5 days I have only eaten fruits/vegg/fish with very minimal seasonings. If I cant clear my face with this diet, then there is no diet that will because I HAVE to eat those foods, there is no way around that.

Heya,

I understand your frustration.

I got to a point where I was only eating sweet potato, spaghetti squash, butternut and fish. ONLY!

I wanted to give up hope and was stressed about food all the time.

I found lately that if I have enough sleep and less stress, I can handle a lot more foods and my skin is still clear.

At the moment I am avoiding:

Dairy, Gluten, Sugar & Hi GI foods (including FRUIT) and Chilli(due to allergy)

I have relaxed a lot on the other things I eat and I now eat meat and chicken and other veggies.

I also eat oats and soya milk

I still try to eat more anti-inflammatory foods.

Relaxing about the foods I eat and sleeping made a huge difference for me. The stress was making me break out more than the limited diet could cure.

Hang in there!

Maybe you should stop listening to idiots that don't have a background in Medicine or Pharmaceuticals, alicecooper.

Stick to a low GI diet, that's the only thing I recommend. And in the meantime, see an actual dermatologist to help with your skin condition. Combination BP/Erythromycin or Adapalene retinoids are working really well for most of our (European) patients.

Minus all the people that have wasted up to thousands on dermatologists and in the end, only found themselves to be worse off than where they started.

Not gonna put poison in my body, and the same applies to on my face.

You're in the wrong board. This board is for people who want to treat their acne naturally.

BP ages you and has been shown time and time again to cause bacterial resistance when applied to the skin. Not only that but it wrecks your acid mantle which makes you even more likely to break out, even if you're eating healthy. Adapalene does pretty much the same thing, except unlike BP it doesn't even help your acne go down. It just kinda dries it out until it flakes off as dead skin.

Is it always high? Then yes. Besides, isn't your acne constant? Also, what about sleep, sunlight, etc.

Is it always high? Then yes. Besides, isn't your acne constant? Also, what about sleep, sunlight, etc.

is what always high?

yes my acne is constant, as constant as waves at the beach. some days more than others but 100% constant.

sleep has never been better before. I am in bed at 11 pm and wake up without an alarm around 8 or 8:30

sunlight is decent. I have tried in the past to have breakfast in the morning in the backyard just in my boxer shorts to get sunlight. 20 minutes every morning. there was no change as usual.

in the past months it has been to cloudy and cold to do that now. still, no difference. I will start again when the weather gets better.

is what always high?

Stress.

is what always high?

Stress.

its been higher than it is now. im more depressed than i am stressed. mostly because of the acne and the stupid diet that i have to follow and all the work and money that goes into it and gets me nowhere. it makes everything in life harder to deal with.

and my acne never fluctuates with my stress either.

LOL. Um sorry new person, but this is the end of the yellow brick road. This is where people come after years of wasting money on "professionals" and pharmaceuticals. This is the place where everyone fixes those years of abuse and heals themselves the correct way.

You missed your exit, there is a u-turn up ahead to go back to chemical land. :D

if your previous diet gave you acne. And the current doesnt its not going to only take 5days for skin to heal. Breakouts can take way longer. I understand your frustration though. I recently got a bad breakout while on a pretty hard (for me) decent diet. I understand Im not doing things perfect , but the thought that it might be all for nothing sometimes spooks in my head to...

^_^)ノ)-->

QUOTE (joris ヘ(^_^ヘ)(ノ^_^)ノ @ Apr 5 2011, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

if your previous diet gave you acne. And the current doesnt its not going to only take 5days for skin to heal. Breakouts can take way longer. I understand your frustration though. I recently got a bad breakout while on a pretty hard (for me) decent diet. I understand Im not doing things perfect , but the thought that it might be all for nothing sometimes spooks in my head to...

What i am saying is there has been nearly no correlation between food and acne for me. I have tried diets for YEARS, not just five days. I have just gotten extra strict the past five days to once and for all conclude that i have no specific acne stressors from my healthy diet.

What i am saying is there has been nearly no correlation between food and acne for me. I have tried diets for YEARS, not just five days. I have just gotten extra strict the past five days to once and for all conclude that i have no specific acne stressors from my healthy diet.

Your acne sounds A LOT like mine. The fact that your skin doesn't really respond to diet/lifestyle changes and of course that no products have ever worked (although that bit's common to most people on here). I eat healthy simply because it fills me with more energy whereas eating crap makes me feel like crap too. Other than that, my skin doesn't seem to give a shit what I put into my body.

I can be stressed as crap or carefree and virtually stress-free yet my acne is more or less constant. Nothing fazes it. I've quit BP because of all the horrible side effects I read about and experienced (delayed healing of scars being the very worst).

I've recently placed an order for the Skintactix system - of course I have no real expectations but still hope...I had a detailed exchange via email with the guy in charge and he recommended the specific kit as well as advising me to start taking flax seed supplements. I should be starting on both sometime next week..let's see if it gets me anywhere. I also got some Manuka Oil earlier today - you might want to try that out, it's supposed to be a hell of an antiseptic/antibacterial/antifungal agent - way more so than even tea tree.

If none of this gets me anywhere, I will - for the very first time - seriously consider Accutane.

EDIT: sorry if you've mentioned this already but I wanted to check if you've actually ever had a food allergy test done? Did it show anything? I'm getting one done soon and would be pretty surprised if something did come up - because if my skin is anything to go by, I'm fine as fine can be with every food out there. However, I have read about cases where in spite of their allergy to the food/s, people's skin didn't break out from consuming it. Weird.

Edited by Princess87

@alice, ok if you have been on the extra strict diet and not have any results after a while I would also conclude that its something else for you. Maybe something enternal. Or maybe just massive teenage(<- are you still young?) hormones.

Alicecooper,

I sincerely doubt you've maintained a truly healthy diet/lifestyle for years. You said you were on a diet for three months that included carb binging on Saturdays. Before that you were eating gluten free, but I can imagine you were still eating dairy, rice, et cetera.

Diet won't help if you aren't doing what your body needs. And cheating can make a big difference on some people as to how well/quickly you see results. Just keep eating strictly UNPROCESSED meat and vegetables for a while. And again, 5 days isn't going to cut it. A lot of people simply will not see results in that amount of time. If you're really that desperate, stick to the meat and veggies for 2 months to see if it helps. And I reiterate UNPROCESSED. Processed foods can impact acne with strange chemicals, preservatives, added sugars and so on. See if within 2 months of eating this way, your skin doesn't start improving. Then you can try adding in some fruits and nuts.

You're simply not sticking with a truly good diet long enough to see any real results.