Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nikon

The most upsetting thing a stranger has said about your acne?

not exactly a stranger but my ex said to me ''i'm leaving you for her because she's better looking than you'' which is fair enough if he didn't find me attractive. but to be so blunt and shallow. and i knew it was because of my skin because he always used to point any spots out and say mean stuff.

grade A asshole. glad he's well away from me now. :dance:

You dont need any Assholes in your life! Maybe his new girlfriend is perfect(she is inflatable lol)

Anyway you look very attractive, if if matters :-)

You will find someone much better, I did :-D

thank you so much AmaraG ^_^ i'm glad you found someone better too !

the last thing we need when suffering from the lack of self confidence, is someone being cruel and shallow.

we're better than those idiot ex's and their new 'perfect' girlfriends :lol: x

I've got a couple, tho not strangers... my ex-husband told me iwas geting what I deserved bc I asked him for a divorce... and a cpl women in my office have speculated I'm breaking out bc I'm tweaking or doing drugs.... really, what I want to know is how these ppl would deal w/ it if all of a sudden they broke [email protected] age 28 bad enough for accutane... ppl r very inconsiderate unless they've been thru something similar imo.

I'm at uni training to be a teacher so I get regular placements in schools. The first time a kid asked "Miiiissss.... What are all those spots on your face?" I felt so tearful. Took me a couple of times to learn to laugh it off and say "it's just spots, get back to your maths".

I HATE it when my friends complain to me about having one tiny pimple. Open your eyes and look at my face, I have them all over plus scars PLUS scabs. It really gets on my nerves the way my friends sleep in their makeup, drink alcohol and eat greasy foods and have blemish free skin. OK it's jealousy :)

PS @Pixie Psyche - your story made my day, I was welling up.

PPS I can't believe I forgot the worst one! One day I woke up with a lump on my forehead. I assumed it would be a normal pimple but it grew to by a cystic acne nodule... It was enormous, it looked like the pus was STRAINING to get out. I made it worse by poking it with a sterile needle and squeezing the gunk out until I nearly threw up. So yeah, I knew this beast on my head was gross. One of my best friends said that it looked like an insect had laid eggs in my face. Publically, I get through acne by laughing at myself so I should expect my friends to joke as well. Made me so ashamed though. A year after that pimple I have a big dent in my head as a reminder - thanks acne you [email protected]!

some guy i had a fight with said after he'd knocked me out he was going to get a pen and join my acne up like a dot to dot which actually made me laugh.

good job i won in the end tho ;)

my brother's friend: " you're sister looks good, but she really needs to take better care of her skin" heh if only he knew how much i do.

God, some of these stories are horrible. Also, to anyone with friends who say nasty things about your acne, THEY ARE NOT YOUR REAL FRIENDS. Seriously, stop talking to them. Comments like those stem from deep insecurities, and people who purposefully hurt their friends in some weird attempt to cover up their own faults are not worth your time.

Here are my stories. Luckily I don't have many. The funny thing is, when my acne was TRULY bad in middle school, no one ever commented on it. A class bully once made the mistake of calling my best friend fat and calling me beaver teeth in the same breath, and I punched him out. I guess most of the kids in my class were too scared to say anything bad to my face after that incident LOL.

1: One time in 9th grade, I was having a particularly bad skin day because I was about to start my period. I had just taken a shower and, horrified by my reflection in the mirror, had picked at everything on my face. Finally, I walked out of the bathroom in a bathrobe, with my face all red and gross, only to see my little brother and his friend walking up the stairs. I was like, eh they're kids, who cares if they see me? Then, as they went into my brother's room, the friend goes, "Dude, what's wrong with your sister's face?" My brother shrugged. It was REALLY hard not to burst into tears that time. Oh well.

2: When I was in 11th grade, I was in a dance performance with a bunch of friends at school. That year, I had just started taking Solodyn and birth control, and they were both working WONDERS (unfortunately those results didn't last, but I digress...). I would still break out a bit, but it definitely wasn't noticeable and was easily covered with makeup. The night of the performance, I was having a GREAT (for me) skin day: a few fading red marks, a couple of small active pimples. I was in a tango number and wearing a really sexy dress and sexy makeup. A bunch of people told me I looked pretty, and I was overall feeling really confident. After an awesome performance, we were all removing our stage makeup with Vaseline, and my face happened to get very red from rubbing it. I said, "Goodness! My skin looks so red!" To which my friend D, who also has acne issues (making this one not as painful), said something like, "I know. I always feel bad about my pimples when I take off this makeup too." It was very clear that he was working under the assumption that my skin didn't look good. Kind of a crash and burn. Luckily, my dance teacher came to the rescue. She just rolled her eyes and said, "You look beautiful with or without makeup. You too, D."

3: This one has more "strange looks" than comments. Freshman year of college, I went to a club with some friends. I was breaking out a bit (oh PMS, why are you so evil??), but nothing too awful, and feelin good. At the club, I was dancing with this really hot guy and kept noticing that he was looking at me funny. I couldn't figure out why. Did I have something in my teeth? I ignored it, telling myself he was weird. But then the next few guys I danced with did the same thing. Still, I ignored it and continued to enjoy myself. Afterwards, my friends and I got some food and walked around town. When I got home, I went to the bathroom, looked in the mirror, and saw a GIANT WHITEHEAD on my chin! It had just popped up out of nowhere somewhere between leaving my house and dancing with the hot guy! It was like I had a giant neon "LOOK HERE!" sign on my chin. Needless to say, I was kind of horrified that I had walked around with that thing on my face all night. However, I said to myself: "Whatever. My friends don't care about my skin, and who cares what some random club guys think?" So, I just popped the whitehead and moved on.

And, hey, just so you guys know, it takes a very special (read: freakish) kind of person to comment on someone's acne or to be so bothered by any aspect of someone's physical appearance that that is all he/she notices. Anyone worth knowing and having in your life won't give a flying hobbit about your skin. All they'll care about is you.

@Pigwidgeon - You're so right about people who comment not being your friends.

Unfortunately I think for me and lots of people the harshest cruelest voices are those in our heads. When I look in the mirror I stare and stare and think I look ugly.

Then I count to 10 and breathe really deeply and think about all the positive things in my life... And how it could be so much worse than having bad skin (my auntie who is 30 has been diagnosed with Myeloma for which there is no cure and it has REALLY put things in perspective for me!)

Even though there's a lot of awful comments on here, you guys made me laugh with your witty comments :)

Luckily for me (or is it?ha) I've only just got acne in the last year and being 22 that means I was waaaay past school so haven't had any hurtful remarks.

The other week my sister came round and brought her 4 year old daughter in law though and caught me out with no make up on. The 4 year old kid didn't say anything but she definitely couldn't take her eyes off all my red marks and spots!!!!

my last one was yesterday

since taking some medication last month that actually made my skin worse, i now have acne on my forehead, sides of face and cheeks as opposed to just the carnage on my chin

i decided that i was only going to wear make up on my chin so that the rest of my face could get better again, but one side of my face was particularly red and inflamed

i walked into work, already conscious of my skin and my boss asks as soon as i walk past his office " whats that mark on your face?? have you been in a fight?!" i say its just a scratch and walk away

my boss and fellow colleagues joke about me fighting for the rest of the day and continue to ask how i go the marks

im not being funny, but its clearly because i have bad skin, not because ive been in some fight, get some bloody brain cells!

does anyone else feel like they'd be a completely different person without acne? i do.

"telling us that we are dirty or need to wash or face more, eat nuts and berries only, stand on our heads for 5 minutes a day, etc, isn't going to get us clear!"

I was in hysterics over this, god im glad im not alone anymore in this!

First... I have had 2 differents guys, on 2 separate occasions say exactly this: "You could be gorgeous... if it weren't for all that acne."

They were both close friends, and I took their constructive criticism like a champ.

Second...

Have you guys ever head of formspring?

It's a site you can ask people questions anonymously.... (Just friends that you add/allow)I should have known I was asking for trouble when I added my ex's girl friend...

I logged on to a whole page full of:

"Is that herpes on your face?"

"I saw you the other day! There was a zit on your chin!! I think it was talking to me!"

Etc.

I didn't cry. Or even get mad... I've become some what jaded to these petty insults. :rolleyes:

I have learned to remember I was blessed in so many other ways that are way more important than skin tone.

1. I'm intelligent and I'm working on a double major in college with a full ride from the school for my GPA

2. I am over all very healthy.

3. I'm actually GOING somewhere in life.

4. I was blessed with an attractive face and body, and an AMAZING metabolism.

5. I am well fed, clothed, sheltered, and kept warm by my owns means (Meaning I am not mooching off mommy and daddy.)

Even after I tell myself these things every morning...

I still can't been seen by any other human being with out makeup...

I can't stand to have my face touched... I'm self conscious about the texture.. and sometimes the cysts are soooo painful...

I never go out in the day light.... If I do, I stare at the ground..

I am constantly rushing to the bathroom to check/reapply my make up...

I can only sit at certain tables in restaurants.. No where near a window - no over head lighting that casts shadows from my bumps

It's SO HARD sometimes...

A lot of people don't understand WE CAN'T JUST CHANGE IT.

A couple dabs of drug store zit zapper doesn't work on us the way it works on them and their one lousy pimple.

"Drink water" "Wash your face more" "Wash your face less" "Use this $70 cream that I get commission on for selling to you" etc. etc.

People don't understand the menagerie of pills, topical treatments, birth controls, tweezers, hot compresses, cold compresses, pus, blood, moisturizers, and cotton balls that each of us face every time we walk in the bath room.

But as I mentioned before... I'm happy being smart, independent, and healthy with a few red bumps.. than someone with beautiful skin with their life in shambles.

I'll share with you one time my dad told me that stuck with me forever.

One day I was crying in the bathroom, caking layer upon layer of concealer on my skin to hide my bumps, thinking no guy would ever want me. My dad walked in and said to me: "If a guy likes you enough to get close enough to your face to see your acne... I don't think he cares about it, and only cares about you."

It's so true.

To this day I have had no lack of male suitors, even with 20 cysts on my face. My boy friend now is amazing.. and tonight, I showed him what I looked like with out make up... This moment was easily more scary and sacred to me than losing my virginity.

He kissed me and said, "You're still beautiful and I don't care."

This made me cry! :cry: :(

So sweet...and reminds me that even with shitty skin I can still do the things I want in life and be sucessful and not let pimples stop me :wub:

I was reminded the other day of the time a casting director approached me in a bar. He was casting for a movie starring Ray Winstone called 'Three Days in Dublin'. It was all legit, and in fact the casting has been sorted now and I think the film will be released early next year.

He explained what would be happening and what the film would be about. It was supposed to be like an edgy drama so they were looking for people who could take direction but weren't professional actors. That way, it wouldn't look to polished.

At the time I was kind of broken out and generally my skin wasn't in good shape. He finished the conversation by telling me I had the "right look" for the part. When I asked what the part was, he said, "A junkie". Wonderful! :doh: I never got a call back for audition, in case you were wondering... ;)

As I've read through this topic over the time it's been going, and indeed read my own replies again, the one thing I notice is that the people who seem to have had it the hardest, in terms of having to deal with other people's insults and stupidity, strike me as being amongst the nicest people you could know. And I just got to thinking that, deep down, the people who have decided to call us out over our skin, know that there's way more to us than just our skin, and maybe they want to bring us down because there's something about us that they envy.

And it's shocking really that friends and family would be referred to so often in the stories here, as you'd expect them to be the people we could count on. It's sad that people can behave that way. I wonder sometimes if I'm too nice for my own good, and I know that being the nice guy has often ended up with me getting walked over, but I'm sure I'd rather be that way than to think it acceptable to say nasty things to people.

Yay for being English! :lol:

Hooray for being British. May our mouths be forever full of cursing and warm ale :)

PS on the subject of english tendancies, I am rather rubbish at talking about insecurities... Is it just me or is it the english way to fake confidence and bury emotions for the sake of pride?! acne.org has been my favourite website since I found it :)

Funnily enough, I mentioned in a message to someone earlier today how we are kind of reserved about these things, compared perhaps to our friends across the pond. So yeah, maybe you're right. Stiff upper lip, and all that! ;)

To be honest, I just let it go where my skin was concerned. I got fed up of keeping everything isndie, and it wasn't as if it was doing me any good. I just thought, 'You know what, the people here can relate and it'll probably do me good to open up about it'. Turns out that I was right.

And I agree - this is now easily one of my favourite websites. The support is amazing and the people are nice. It's all helped me turn things around where my skin is concerned, now I can get things and track and head towards where I want to be in life. I don't think I'd have found the positive approach without the good folk of the Org. :)

Oh, and you can keep your warm ale, I like my Guinness cold, thank you very much. :lol:

A short run-through of my skin: I've never had acne acne, my whole life I've never had a skin problem. A few localized, unnoticeable patches of blackheads in the crease of my chin and on the sides of my nose and maybe a tiny pimple or two on the side of my cheek that would go away on its own in a few days. All was good and fine until...BOOM: about five months ago, my overall decent complexion turned HORRIBLE. Nasty pimples erupting all over my forehead and chin. I've never dealt with this before, so I was caught extremely off guard. I went a couple months with trial and error skincare, and as of right now, my skin is pretty much clear again.

Once daily, I do a baking soda mini-scrub/mask on my forehead, my most prone area. It works wonders. Sometimes, I do honey or egg white masks. They work wonders. However, I HATE more than ANYTHING when a family member or someone asks me what's on my face and they think I'm doing such terrible things to my skin, or they think my skin's horrible, or they turn their nose up to me like I'm a piece of garbage just because I have a glob of honey smeared on my cheeks. I don't understand. My skin's not bad, I'm just treating myself with a nice mask.

P.S. When my acne was pretty bad, a person said I was ugly and I had craters on my face...that hurt. :cry:

Funnily enough, I mentioned in a message to someone earlier today how we are kind of reserved about these things, compared perhaps to our friends across the pond. So yeah, maybe you're right. Stiff upper lip, and all that! ;)

To be honest, I just let it go where my skin was concerned. I got fed up of keeping everything isndie, and it wasn't as if it was doing me any good. I just thought, 'You know what, the people here can relate and it'll probably do me good to open up about it'. Turns out that I was right.

And I agree - this is now easily one of my favourite websites. The support is amazing and the people are nice. It's all helped me turn things around where my skin is concerned, now I can get things and track and head towards where I want to be in life. I don't think I'd have found the positive approach without the good folk of the Org. :)

Oh, and you can keep your warm ale, I like my Guinness cold, thank you very much. :lol:

Ale is good! I've quit beer for my skin though...

For the first time in a while, I bailed on plans tonight because of my skin. I'm gutted that I let acne beat me today. How did you build your confidence?

For the first time in a while, I bailed on plans tonight because of my skin. I'm gutted that I let acne beat me today. How did you build your confidence?

Been there so many times before. We all have off days I guess.

In part, if feels better if you if you cancel plans because you don't have to deal with people. Although I used to get upset with myself for cancelling plans, letting people down or being by myself, the relief that I didn't have to deal with people was probably bigger. I ended up preferring that, so that's what I did. Actually got to the point where people stopped inviting me to things because they just assumed I'd cancel anyway. Unfortunately, it had to get that far before I realised things had to change.

Now, I just think, 'Feel the fear and do it anyway'. Granted, if I had a major breakout and was in pain with my skin or whatever, I wouldn't feel like going out anyway. That's different. But if I'm looking at a few pimples and making a big deal out of them, it's silly. Just force myself out the door and after that the fear passes.

If you're out having fun, in theory you're too busy to worry about your skin anyway.

I'm taking it one step at a time these days. Although, I was out last Friday, Saturday, this Monday, and I'll be out tonight. Four times in a week - that's more than I've done in recent months. On two of those occasions I was amongst friends of a friend and people I hadn't met before. I'll end up meeting new people tonight as well. Just trying to get on with it really, to feel better about myself by being around others and having fun.

:)

Edited by PaulH85

Ok so this happen yesterday. I was talking to my guitar teacher and he like 20 years old. And he was getting me in trouble because I wasn't practicing then he said bunch of other stuff and i wasn't paying attention to what he was saying the last thing he said was,. "Who will ever go out with you with an ugly face like that." I wanted to talk back to him but I knew i was better than him so i just turned around. But inside i wanted to cry. Worst part is I see him today and i really don't want to go back there anymore. I wanna tell my parents but I know all they will say is. "He just joking about it and doesn't mean it" But it really crush me . I don't even want to go in public no more

I went to the dentist one day and I had very bad acne on forehead that year, he said: "Why is your forehead so red?" Then he called my sister in and said "If I put a red balloon up to her face, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!" This year I visited him again, and now my forehead is all cleared up, he didn't say a word.

If some stranger is cruel or damn right nasty...you shouldn't care they`re "strangers" FFS...irrelevant nobody's... "trash" if you like...fuck em.

If you've got acne its time to toughen up and don't let negative creeps get to you!!.

I went to the dentist one day and I had very bad acne on forehead that year, he said: "Why is your forehead so red?" Then he called my sister in and said "If I put a red balloon up to her face, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference!" This year I visited him again, and now my forehead is all cleared up, he didn't say a word.

Your dentist sounds a real douche. you should of asked him if he goes dancing around people in wheel chairs too?.

Ok so this happen yesterday. I was talking to my guitar teacher and he like 20 years old. And he was getting me in trouble because I wasn't practicing then he said bunch of other stuff and i wasn't paying attention to what he was saying the last thing he said was,. "Who will ever go out with you with an ugly face like that." I wanted to talk back to him but I knew i was better than him so i just turned around. But inside i wanted to cry. Worst part is I see him today and i really don't want to go back there anymore. I wanna tell my parents but I know all they will say is. "He just joking about it and doesn't mean it" But it really crush me . I don't even want to go in public no more

DO NOT LET HIM GET AWAY WITH THIS.

I'm boggled that anyone, 20 or 80. would dare say this to a client. It wasn't a joke. Professionalism is a foreign concept to this dipshit, and if his idea of motivation is to be cruel, you can tell him which nook and cranny to shove it.

I'm appalled he would say this to you, and even more appalled that you're going back to him. I don't care if he has greater skill than B.B. King and Jimmy Page combined, he does not deserve to work as a guitar teacher.

Make it hurt where it counts -- his wallet. If I were in your position, I'd tell him or write a note that he wasn't that good as a teacher, and even worse as a human being, and you won't need his shitty service again.

Guest Chrisâ„¢

worse thing someone has said about my acne? hmm, that would have to be; "hahahahahahahhahahaha .... *pause for breath* ahahahahahaheheheheheheahahahahhahahaha ahahahahahaha".

Susana: what a douche. you have to learn to ignore people like that. Don't let some stupid ass misguided 20 year old douchebag's opinion affect you so much. He's nothing. He probably was just bored and wanted to stir up some shit anyway, or maybe he was secretly trying to hit on you and you didn't catch on, so he got mad and insulted you. Very possible.