Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clint06

Differnce between Dermis and Subcult. (sp?) level?

for aquamid and other "permanent" fillers...which level is which...which level is best to be injected into?

All fillers are injected into the dermis, the more viscous (thicker, heavier) ones are injected deeper into the dermis and the lighter ones can be injected into the upper layer of the dermis. Fillers are never injected subcutaneously ! Subcutaneous means under the skin, fillers would migrate and would really have no beneficial effects if injected there.

I will chime in at the risk of being a mister know-it-all. Fat and some permanent fillers are actually injected subcutaneously sometimes, but I don't know that it ever would be for acne scars unless it was a mistake, or as a "foundation" for really extreme craters. They do it for cosmetic reasons such as women who want enhanced cheeks, or HIV patients with facial wasting. In fact, I think that's what Sculptra/Newfill was just FDA approved for.

Fat transfer injections are placed in the subdermal fat layer, again if you inject completely under the dermis above the faschia of the muscle, there is a good chance of migration. Silicone cheek or chin implants are placed on top of the faschia, between the skin and the muscle, but these are solid implants.