Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gutterflower

What do you think looks worse?

Hi guys! :D

My skin has been pretty up and down lately, which is nothing out of the ordinary for me, but I just wanted your honest opinions on something I've been thinking about.

When a person is going through a bad breakout, do you think it looks better when they put more makeup on to cover it, or when they leave it alone? I'm at work today and my skin is quite awful and sore, and although it's quite unattractive, I just feel like it needed a break.

I think my acne is fairly obvious underneath foundation anyway and for a lot of people (myself included), it just seems to cake up and slide off of my actual acne spots anyway. What do you guys reckon?

:)

I think you shouldn't cover it, at the end of the day if your not wearing make up its more beneficial for your acne in the long run. You should be confident about who u are!

you cant help if you have acne, but im a 19 yr old guy, and in my opinion it looks alot worse when ppl try to load on the make up to cover up acne and you can still see it. Just be confident and don't let it get you down!

ive had many up n downs with my skin..and i wld loooovvve to cover it up at times, but i think it does end up lookin worse..im sure theres people who can apply it fantastic, but im just not one of them lol. also it seems the make up ends to come off where you want it most...and i feel its just better to let your skin breathe...only time i'll do makeup is if im going out at night and will be in dim lighting...

Edited by shadylee

So you would find a girl more attractive if she had acne but didn't try to cover it up than you would if she had acne and tried to cover it up?

you cant help if you have acne, but im a 19 yr old guy, and in my opinion it looks alot worse when ppl try to load on the make up to cover up acne and you can still see it. Just be confident and don't let it get you down!

Yeah, I can't apply mine so it's convincing either, the makeup seems to just dodge my acne instead of sticking regardless of what foundation/concealer I use. Plus it sometimes hurts to even touch my face, let alone assault it with brushes, sponges and goop. This morning I just couldn't bring myself to do it - my face STILL hurts!

my skin is quite awful and sore, I just feel like it needed a break.

Sounds like you know what your skin needs. Be confident & outgoing, smile & laugh alot and no one will notice your skin.

Guest Playing_In_Traffic

If mine is super inflamed, I will just cover the big spots with my concealer and then leave the rest of my face alone. It doesn't look too harsh.

they say anything you put on your skin can worsen acne.. non-comodogenic or not. honestly, if i didnt wear makeup, i probably wouldnt be able to look people in the eyes, and i would just obsess about how they see everything. the makeup just gives me some confidence, like i dont feel naked. plus from a distance you dont look red. :P

if you have the guts to do it, go for it though! letting your skin breathe is important.

also salicylic conclear never works to "heal" blemishes, i would stay from that stuff. its overly advertised, and salicylic seems to make my skin worse.

I would say don't cover it up. When i see girls with acne I think in my head (hey i have acne too). But when they have makeup on to cover it and its still visible I think it looks like the make up is harming it or that they are cheating because us guys don't wear make up...Then i start to think why girls wear make up in the first place? Then I think where it first started. Then i forget what my original thought was.

I don't think it's cheating for me because it doesn't really cover it up convincingly, anyway. I wish it would, that'd make things a lot easier, I think. When my skin is really awful I try not to put anything on it, since it doesn't seem to hide it anyway... :D

Hey, I always think the same thing. Just started a new job.. I tend to pile on the foundation in the morning because I have huge angry spots around my mouth and lower cheeks. All the foundation does is take the redness away from a distance, I still see male and female colleagues staring at them when speaking to me. I just wish they would go away...Make up just harms my skin but I have NO confidence without it :cry:

I dont even feel worthy in front of guys...pretty sad hey.

Have you tried Mineral make up?

I say that people who try to cover their blemishes up look worse, because often even if the cosmetic is of good quality, the darn acne just won't let it settle correctly. I understand their motives, though--many a time I've considered putting on foundation when my skin looks terrible. But all in all I'd much rather have a person who just leaves their face alone. I've never thought worse of anyone who had acne.

Wish I had the confidence to go without... I really do. I cannot wait until the day I can walk out of the house with nothing on my face!

I have arounbd 8 painful spots growing either side of my mouth and I am downing water and vitamin tablets....the next option is Accutane and after all these years I still cannot so it :(

Wish me luckk please :dance:

I think it looks worse when people with severe acne try to cover it up with makeup. Most of the time, they do not do it correctly so the makeup looks very streaked and uneven. I would know since I used to cover my acne with makeup. Now that the acne is gone, so is the makeup. I wish more people would wake up and realize that makeup is a huge contributor to acne. It aggravates and irritates your skin. No makeup claiming that it has .5% salicylic acid in it to fight your acne will actually work. It is all a hoax. If people at my school who have acne would learn how to properly apply makeup on a face covered in acne, then I would be more supportive. However, as long as their faces continue to look uneven and blotchy with the makeup on, then I will continue to be disgusted. I'm not trying to be hurtful, but these are just observations that I've made while being at school.

I have wondered this too so I actually took a picture of myself with no makeup, thinking it would represent a better understanding of how another person would see me, rather than me just staring at my face in the mirror. Aaaaand, after reviewing the picture, i immediately and happily grabbed my foundation and applied. I guess if you aren't confident in your techniques and you applied makeup over some troublesome issues, it would probably only draw attention to it and end up looking worse. Even with that being said, no matter how great you are at applying makeup, if you have acne, people will be able to tell. Period. It is just a matter of how YOU feel you look. If you go without makeup and you are uncomfortable, people will pick up on that and vice versa. Do what makes you feel good!

I always debate with myself the same thing every morning :/ I ask myself is it better to go out with no makeup and have the world see my pimples but have a better chance of getting them to heal? Or is it better to cover up and having a chance of looking like I have decent skin or risk looking like a cake face? It's not always easy to decide what to do but what it really comes down to is what the occassion is and how bad of a breakout. I stopped wearing full face foundation to school/work because it's not worth causing a breakout and irritation to my skin for one day where no one will particularly notice. Sometimes if it's especially bad I only put concealer on spots (applying it gently and slowly so not to irritate) but not my entire face. When I go out or I hang out with my friends I put a light, full face coverage on but take it off as soon as I get home. I think for work you'll be fine going without makeup and letting your face heal but for special occasions putting on full coverage is good. I know it's hard to go without (it's like being naked not wearing makeup lol) but it's healthier for your skin and it's the best, most natural coverage you can get.

In my opinion, if you have severe acne, then applying tons of makeup tends to make it look worse. If you have mild acne (like myself) the makeup makes your face more even toned and usually gives a person more confidence. I feel that applying concealer to zits makes them less obvious because the redness wont be shown. I feel that what I suffer from (non inflamed acne) still leaves behind some nice red marks that make me extremely self conscious! So props to whoever has the guts to not care!

Covering up any kind of bump usually makes it look worse.

I think most people in general look better without makeup.

I've been dealing with the same thing. I just started the regimen, and my face looks pretty bad. I used it before bed and I woke up with brighter (not really clearer) skin. I decided to toss my liquid foundation, out of fear that I wouldn't heal without it. I only put on eye make up and a clear power from Clean & Clear to keep my face from looking shinny. I felt really self conscious this morning; however, my friends didn't even notice I wasn't wearing any foundation because like you my pimples still show through. I feel a bit better about my face and won't wear foundation anymore. I think you could go without it.

Plus the people that see you everyday will be able to see your skin improve while you're using the treatment you've chosen.

I hope it all works out for you! =)

Covering but a bit. I usually cover with Almay Clear Complex concealer and then just a thin layer of any powder you prefer. But there were some days when I just avoided going out at all anywhere.

I have quite bad acne and i still wear foundation but only if im going out of the house. If im staying indoors all day i dont wear any so i can let my skin breathe. But i cant go out without wearing any cos i look so bad without it.

I have the Revlon colourstay foundation and its great for redness and has a good coverage.

Also its for combination/oily skin.

I have bare minerals but i find the coverage on it pretty rubbish so i dont wear it.

Edited by Little Daydreamer ~

You can always see the zits hidden under make up anyways. I mean when I have a bad break out I just put a little concealer on the big guys and leave my skin to breathe, well I'll have Duac on my face otherwise I will break out, I always need something on my skin even when going free of make up.

I'm over people caring, and frankly they do not care. I am confident either way, I just want them to stop hurting. I am very open with my friends about my skin, and I ask their opinions. It has only been this past year (I am 23 years old and going to junior college) that I have gone to school WITHOUT MAKEUP, and nobody looks at me any different. It's bizarre. But that's the way it should be.

It's funny my coworker told me "your lookin very nice today" and I said "are you kidding me?? I have two huge craters on my face, woke up to mt. Hermon again." He was all "Well, your still beautiful and I can't tell". Perfectly said.

Your beautiful. That is all. Eat healthy and take care of yourself.