Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Farther Away

What Treatment Do You Recommend For My Scars?

I have loads of red marks on my cheeks from when I had really bad breakouts. While they have faded some on their own the past year, I was considering doing something to get rid of them. I don't really have any holes or indents, it's mainly just red marks. I have large pores and I still break out some, not as much as I used to though, thankfully. Can someone recommend a treatment I can get done? I was thinking of maybe Smoothbeam but I wanted some of your opinions as most of you know a lot more about this stuff then I do! bb_smile.gif Right now my skincare regimen is Clindamycin morning and night and Differin at night. I also use Mederma and do an occasional Lactic acid peel. Any product rec's would be appreciated also. Thanks so much for your time!

~*Farther Away*~

Smoothbeam is used to treat acne and atrophic scars. It does not help for red marks. I also use lactic acid peels, but I think a series of medium peels is much more effective from what I have read. I guess the very best treatment is preventitive - seems like you have a good plan.

Thanks! I thought that Smoothbeam was for acne and red marks, but I guess I was wrong. I'd still like to get Smoothbeam for what acne I do have left, but I guess I have to find something else for these red marks.

Anyone else???

~*~*Farther Away*~*~

You could try a bleaching lotion or lightening agent. Something with hydroquinone as one of the first ingredients would be good. I'm not sure how long it would be until you saw results and the red marks started to fade, but in the long run, your red marks will improve faster with a bleaching/lightening agent.

Here's a link to a bleaching lotion from a company that has good products that have worked for me, but you could just do a search on the internet for products and recommendations.

Also, if you get sun exposure, wear a sunscreen with SPF 15 or better. Tanning or staying in the sun for long periods can actually make red marks and acne scars worse--it adds to skin discoloration.

Hope that helps,

~Kat

I didn't think hydroquinone worked for acne scars. I've looked up about it numerous times and it always says that it's not for that. I've been wanting to try it myself but was always afraid to because of what I read. That's great that it worked for your scars, I'll look into it some more and maybe give it a try biggrin.gif

I'm probably going to end up going to a derm. and getting a consultation to see what they would recommend. I was thinking of Smoothbeam for my existing acne and maybe Microdermabrasion or Laser treatments for my scars. Anyone with my problem tried any of these treatments? Thanks again!

~*~*Farther Away*~*~

Smoothbeam *may* help your active acne, but I wouldn't count on it. There are several people on the board (check the smoothbeam thread) who said it actually made them oilier after the treatment.

Ok, now that I've argued that side, I've had 4 smoothbeams and do think it has helped my acne. I no longer get cystic acne at all.....and I used to get at least one cyst a month (hormonal). The smoothbeam has smoothed out my shallow scars and helped fill in my boxcar scars a little, but done squat for the ice picks and just added to my hyperpigmentation.