Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unapanda

Iodine taken orally is helping me in many ways

I've been reading and following advice here for quite a while. I've learned so much about people's experiences and wonderful ideas to try from reading posts here.

I wanted to share my iodine experience, even though it seems to be quite a confusing topic. I've had a VERY hard time trying to find credible or scientific information on it. So I've read what I could find on both sides of the issues, then started into it slowly to see how my body reacted.

I've been taking it for a couple months now and my acne is dramatically improved.

I went from having break outs every day to, at least this week, having only 2 small pimples that went away more quickly than my usual painful breakouts. Breakouts seem to be reducing each week. The texture of my skin looks nicer as well.

Some of the other benefits I've had are more energy and less depression.

You can always find opinions on either side and this is just food for thought. I've read the argument that some other countries get much more iodine than we typically do, a daily intake of 12-18mg (not mcg) per day.

It is also suggested that the RDA of 150mcg is just enough to prevent goiter, but not enough for optimal health.

There are some interesting ideas and thoughts about it here. It's talking about possible bromide detox strategies from taking iodine as well as dosing suggestions. In case the link doesn't show, it's on breastcancerchoices dot org.

breastcancerchoices

I'm currently taking appx 12mg of the brand Atomidine. I worked up to that slowly. By the time I took 3 drops per day I was sleeping better and woke up in the morning without feeling tired. I also had a lot more energy and less depression.

For now, I feel good about taking doses in the 12-18mg range since other countries consume that amount on a daily basis.

There are many people who take 50mg per day and feel that it works for them.

Thank you all for your wonderful posts and encouraging words :) they've gotten me though some dark dark times.

Edited by unapanda

thats funny. for a long long time ive been shown that iodine is bad for one's acne. however, over my spring break, my friend brought along seaweed salad. all of the salad was kelp and i ate about 2 cups everyday for 5 days. during those days i felt great, more energized and my acne did not worsen. i do not know if my acne would have improved but it did not worsen and i did eat a lot of kelp.

Thank you for posting this! This is such a difficult topic, and watch out for people that will shoot this down. Keep it up! :)

More info on dosages and the supporting supplements you will find on the web site you quoted above.

I have started with Lugols 5%, only 2 drops a day with all the supplements and will work my way up. Ive started iodine for my fibrocystic breast decease and for that it is already working wonders, much less pain.

My acne is also doing a lot better :) But cant say for sure if its the iodine, the bag of supplements, probiotics or apple cider vinegar... all I know is that it is a lot better than before.

Good luck and keep posting! :)

I've been on the Lugol's for about 2 years now, on and off, and I've had significant improvement with my acne (and all round health and energy levels) that was a result of general poor health and candida issues - it's great stuff! I found it hard at first with the bromide detox symptoms, but once you get past that phase it's just one of those nurtrients that you just don't know how you managed without.

I strongly feel we are all iodine deficient these days due to the high levels of other halides in the enviroment, plus the idiophobia that the medical establishment has subscribed to for so many years as a result of a couple of duff studies in the 50's that were designed to forward the agenda of the pharmaceutical companies pushing thyroid meds.

I'm interested in your experience with Atomadine, and have never heard of this brand before - off to do some research!

Great post, thanks foe bringing this up - more people need to be made aware of the benefits of iodine to health :D

Thanks for the replies everyone, it's nice to hear about your experiences :)

One theory on an increase in acne is that iodine is causing bromide or flouride detox.

I have read about some people experiencing an increase temporarily. I didn't personally go through that, but I would hope that the risk of it could be reduced by starting slowly to give the body a chance to get rid of small amounts of toxins rather than dumping them on the body all at once.

The companion nutrients listed on the breast cancer site should also help with any detox symptoms.

Bokkie, that's wonderful to hear it's helping your fibrocystic condition! I'd be interested to hear if you notice benefits in other areas like acne, sleep cycles, energy, etc. over time.

Rifkah6, did you take companion supplements to reduce bromide detox symptoms? For me, after about a week of taking small doses I had two days where I felt ornery and depressed. I think these were detox symptoms though I can't be sure. I didn't take companion supplements. After that passed I felt better than I have in my life.

From what I've read each person is very different in the amount, type and duration of detox symptoms...that is if they even experience any.

Yes, the Atomidine is working, but I'm hoping Lugol's will work as well, if not better. I took it this morning and it seems good so far. I've been keeping track of each dose, time, and how I feel each day.

The other day I had a friend remark that I look more alive :) I can say that I feel more alive and hopeful than I can remember feeling. Feeling better about my skin is a huge part of that! I can see not only clearer skin, but it's getting a different texture, healthier looking.

Im really interested in getting me some lugols, but where do I purchase it? at the local pharmacy??

Im in Canada btw,

Have you had your thyroid checked? You need iodine for thyroid function, and low functioning thyroid explains the fatigue.

That is most likely the reason, also, with fluoride in water supplys and in a lot of daily used items, iodine is more necessary.

But, at the same time, I don't think ONLY low thyroid functioning individuals require iodine, but everyone (as long as there are no other conditions) should have the benefits.

Think of it like this, one of the HEALTHIEST countries and cultures in the world are the Japanese and hence, they consume LOTS of iodine on a daily basis.

Coincidence?? I think not. That is just one factor, but a VERY important factor.

I'll agree here to some extent - but I just wanted to point out that one has to be pretty cautious when playing with iodine and its role in thyroid hormone function. I've seen similar claims from different websites and products talking about iodine deficiency; its comparison to eastern countries. Low thyroid output = low energy / metabolism / etc but overdoing the iodine can put your endocrine system out of whack.

All I want to say is if anyone is going to use supplements to work on a specific hormonal route - please check with a licensed health provider - and have a thyroid panel done. It's really hard filtering out good / accurate information on the web nowadays and marketing can become very misleading. Obviously any supplement/herb/etc has its pros and cons - but what works for one doesn't work for the other - when it comes to hormones... or any thing I suppose for that matter... better to see what the body's chemical/hormonal situation is first (history-physical exam/lab studies) before dropping so much and "potentially" causing unknown short or long-term harm. This goes beyond the scope of this particular post, but hopefully people get the idea.

1 Drop depending on the concentration of lugol's for example can range from 6.3mg (miligrams) to 12.5mg depending on the solution concentration. That's a huge bump from ~150mcg (.15mg) to 6300mcg (6.3mg)

* If anything get your iodine from food sources - iodized sea salt for example, kelp another - I'd stay clear from "kelp supplements" because they are inconsistent and no standardization - iodine supplements - only under careful supervision please!

I'll briefly post an excerpt on this here :

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/iodine-000308.htm

Because of the potential for side effects and interactions with medications, dietary supplements should be taken only under the supervision of a knowledgeable health care provider.

High doses of iodine may block the production of thyroid hormones, causing hypothyroidism (low thyroid hormone levels) in someone with otherwise normal thyroid function. Too much iodine can also increase the risk for other thyroid diseases, such as Hashimoto's disease, Graves' disease, certain thyroid cancers, and thyrotoxicosis (a dangerous condition involving a large amount of thyroid hormones in the bloodstream).

****** and one more from emedicine (I can't copy/paste everything from my uptodate account, but a lot of us medical students and residents use it for quick reference - when we don't have uptodate or a paid subscription to another database) - : http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/122714-diagnosis

Lastly, on a positive note - I want to say that it is a good thing to openly discuss and share different views and experiences :) I enjoy this aspect of medicine - but some approaches (especially in the holistic/supplement section) warrant some kind of heads up!

Edited by pepot

I've been taking two drops of Lugol's 5% Iodine solution for 2 months now. I do sometimes think I feel better and it may have made a difference (but it is hard to know since I am also battling the ramifications of Celiac Disease at the same time).

Iodine is the main cause of my acne. I'm sure. I used to take kelp supplements... It god bad.. really bad.

Although it got rid of my hypothyroidism symptoms such as dry skin, I had bad acne. Now that I'm iodine free I'm also acne free, but suffering pretty bad hypo symptoms. I wake up with terrible flaking even though I don't use any products on my face... It's dry as hell + I seem to have some weird rashes on my face. Not sure if that's connected.

In conclusion fuck my life lol. Just be careful with iodine.

Iodine is the main cause of my acne. I'm sure. I used to take kelp supplements... It god bad.. really bad.

Although it got rid of my hypothyroidism symptoms such as dry skin, I had bad acne. Now that I'm iodine free I'm also acne free, but suffering pretty bad hypo symptoms. I wake up with terrible flaking even though I don't use any products on my face... It's dry as hell + I seem to have some weird rashes on my face. Not sure if that's connected.

how long did you take it for??

Also, kelp supplements (from what I know) aren't very consistent and are best avoided.

Also, acne is a detox symptom and many people go through a detox when going on iodine supplenments.

`If with the iodine, ur skin doesn't become dry, it means that you do need iodine supplements,

Isaac Lee, I'm not sure where you can get it in Canada. You could try a local pharmacy. I've seen some sellers that will ship to Canada online. Hopefully there would be an online source available to you. Have you tried doing an online search for the product? I've seen it on Ebay and Amazon, but don't know whether they ship to Canada.

Here it's available without a prescription in the lower dilution rates. I have found it in a health food market and a vitamin shop that sells a lot of supplements.

Alternativevista, yes I had a thyroid panel done and am within the normal range. The normal range is pretty wide on the tests, so I don't know. Maybe it's low for me even though it's within "normal" according to the test.

I've also had a hormone panel done, and plan to have another done in 6 months to make sure everything is on track.

Pepot, I would agree that supplementation of any substance isn't to be taken lightly. There are many opinions out there. I've found this to be the case with many other supplements as well.

Of the bottles I have, one is 1833 mcg per drop. Another is 2.55 mg per drop. It should give that information on the bottle or package.

There are many many opinions on both sides of the table. Here's just one excerpt from the other side. I take both views with a grain of salt :) I don't think either one is 100% accurate.

Of all the elements known so far to be essential for health, iodine is the most misunderstood and the most feared. Yet, it is by far the safest of all the trace elements known to be essential for human health. It is the only trace element that can be ingested safely in amounts up to 100,000 times the RDA. For example, potassium iodide has been prescribed safely to pulmonary patients in daily amounts of up to 6.0 gm/day, in large groups of such patients for several years.1-3 It is important, however, to emphasize that this safety record only applies to inorganic, non-radioiodides.

Medical iodophobia is the unwarranted fear of using and recommending inorganic, non-radioactive iodine/iodide within the range known from the collective experience of three generations of clinicians to be the safest and most effective amounts for treating symptoms and signs of iodine/iodide deficiency (12.5-37.5 mg).

Goodness, this one is getting long too! :) It's nice to hear from everyone! I'll start another one so that I don't have a mile long post.....

Edited by unapanda

I'm taking appx 12mg per day of the brand name "Atomidine". It is a liquid. I split it up into two doses as I've found I get the most energy this way.

I bought it at a store locally, but I've seen it on Ebay and Amazon. The price is up a bit because everyone is buying it right now, but I'm hoping the price will decrease soon.

Some of the improvements I've noticed are a decrease in depression and anxiety, an increase in energy, better sleep and better looking skin :)

I'm really astounded at what it's done for me, I didn't have high expectations when I started, and actually thought it was highly likely it would do nothing or even have bad effects.

I'm not currently on other supplements. I wanted to know exactly what iodine was doing to my body and not wonder if it was another supplement that was responsible.

The bottle of Lugol's I ordered arrived. I do plan on testing Lugol's, but I'm starting my job at the university again next week and I'm not willing to risk a decrease in energy and an increase of depression right now. I plan to test Lugol's when this term is over.

I asked my doctor about iodine during my regular visit and she feels that a dose of 18mg is safe and doesn't need to be monitored.

I'm sure there are many doctors with other opinions. I don't think one is more right than another, they're just going on the knowledge and experience that they have.

I have struggled with acne since I was in my early teens and it has only gotten worse as I've gotten older. It's too soon to say if Iodine is the answer for me, but it's sooo nice to have a break from the daily pain I used to have on my face and back. Instead of the big painful ones, I am now getting occasional tiny no big deal breakouts :)

Edited by unapanda

I'm sorry for your pain :( I hope you feel better soon. Could what you went through have been bromide detox symptoms? I haven't had luck posting a link on here, but it's on Breastcancerchoices dot org, or you could Google "iodine detox" to see if it matches your experience.

Some people have had better luck with Lugol's rather than a kelp supplement. Also, could you be allergic to kelp?

That's wonderful you have no acne :) but I sure hope you get relief from your hypothyroid symptoms. Just some ideas - there are things other than iodine that may help like Armour or Nature-throid prescription medication. I'm sure there are several others you could ask your doc about, I don't know a lot about them.

If you want to research alternative supplements to help your thyroid I found a few with a quick search, like over the counter glandular thyroid supplements, coconut oil, vitamin D, L tyrosine, Coleus, Guggal. I don't know anything about these supplements, that was just what a quick search for "hypothyroid supplements" brought up.

In any case I hope you don't give up, I'm sure there is something that can help you :) though I know it gets beyond frustrating at times. I've been through a lot of hopeless times myself.

This is long - but please read if you would like - hopefully it'll help some people out :)

unapanda - it's good that you are researching this and experiencing the results you have been, but all I wanted to do was just caution supplementation, specifically those that are endocrine modifiers. emedicine does give some dosing information for Lugol's - but* you can't dose it properly without knowing actual blood serum hormone levels :)

That's the last thing anybody needs to do and have an irreversible (at the worst case) case. The endocrine system (hypothalamic-pituitary axis / thyroid / adrenals / sex organs (testies/ovaries) all communicate back and forth. What I am trying to get at *is* just anybody here should see their primary care provider to look into seeing whether things like, *but not limited to* iodine / vitamin D supplementation is a worthy route to take. This won't be an overnight thing either - changes can be a placebo effect, possibly certain things might have a noticeable change in a week - but nonetheless, these hormone levels need to be checked every few weeks to months (depending on the hormone(s) of concern).

These supplement / cosmetic companies are making such a killing - what a robbery! :)

We don't have "at home" testing or can make an educated assumption that measures various hormone levels without actually testing it. So if the lab results come back showing something is HIGH/LOW - then consider these alternatives.

Except for the occasional breakout here and there - I don't suffer anymore from acne - I grew out of it (from higher teenage hormones). Just to share - my skin care routine as a male is very simple, and I understand that this won't work too well for most at the given moment but* I try to find trends and patterns and came up with the basics. I stick with washing my face mainly with lukewarm water, a washcloth (on occasion) - and oil based precleanser i.e. like jojoba oil or any mild cleanser with some oil composition (usually in the evening). Followed by a moisturizer and chemical free sunblock. The moisturizer should have some lipid content - just* to maintain and protect the skin barrier. Too many products (high alkaline/too acidic)/cleansers/scrubs compromise this protective skin barrier and allow chemicals from cosmetic products to enter the skin and cause / exacerbate irritation.

The oil based cleanser that I mentioned just helps me get off the sunblock/moisturizer from the day - usually without washing my face (so dry) slab a bunch of oil based cleanser and then the oil will bind with the surface oils and encapsulate them - this then is washed off with water or a (fragrance free) gentle* skin cleanser afterwards, followed by moisturizer (fragrance free) then sunblock (chemical / fragrance free - zinc/titanium) - year round (even on cloudy non-summer days)

If applying a chemical sunscreen - that has to be in contact with the dry* skin itself, then applying moisturizer - if it's a medical treatment/serum that should go onto the face first, followed by a barrier protecting moisturizer - and then a sunblock. It's amazing how many chemicals are on the skin from the ingredients list - imagine : a moisturizer and sunscreen alone can be like 30+ ingredients!!! :)

Most face washes and such (perhaps not salicylic acid a keratolytic that works instantly) stay on for a few seconds - mainly to wash away any dirt, surface oils that collected during the day.

Teenage hormonal acne / rosacea / hormonal adult acne are different entities - I do believe the dairy culprit is mainly due to higher hormone level content in these foods which attribute to this - along with possible calcium-zinc interactions and resulting zinc deficiency, but that's another exploratory story. Someone here mentioned celieac disease/gluten - again there are tests for this but those suffering from inflammatory bowel disorders can benefit from a "cleanser" diet - going onto diet itself - watch half the population eat like total crap (fast food, microwave - frozen products - sugar starbucks galore) and have no skin issues.

I made a thread here earlier just to see what other family generations did out of curiosity on facial care - got some responses but not too much. The reason for that might most likely go back to those individuals not really "disrupting" their skin barrier and thus their skin is more resistant to environmental/topically applied actors.

I still have interests in overall health - and skin health (not just acne) is a reflection of our internal health and external/environmental factors. So I frequent different boards time to time to see what community people are discussing to have a better understanding of what people do face.

I've been panning a bunch of threads here in the holistic board, and my gosh - I wouldn't know where to start to give my unofficial and unbiased opinion, again - my opinion coming from a medical point of view - I'm in my last year of medical school now, and enjoy both conventional and alternative healing. I'll be graduating with a doctor of medicine (MD) degree and will be applying this summer for actual residency that deals with these kinds of topics and concerns...

Just as you all are searching for why's and how can this be fixed - I'm there with you in the case of helping others in the years to come. I guess it would be good with those in health science backgrounds to pop in here sometime.

Edited by pepot

This is long - but please read if you would like - hopefully it'll help some people out :)

Pepot, thank you for taking the time to write such a thoughtful post. If you're up for it, it would be great if you could start a new thread about the possible risks pertaining to Iodine. With such a big and controversial topic it would be great to have a separate place for more information on the possible side effects and risks. It's wonderful to be educated on both sides of the issue.

Thanks :) I think I might just create a new generalized thread and paste this, and have it open for others with health science backgrounds (and of course anybody else who wants to share and ask questions) to give their input and thoughts for further discussion.

Thanks :) I think I might just create a new generalized thread and paste this, and have it open for others with health science backgrounds (and of course anybody else who wants to share and ask questions) to give their input and thoughts for further discussion.

Wonderful :) I'll check it out. I did a search and didn't find anything similar on here, so I think that will be great.

Wonderful :) I'll check it out. I did a search and didn't find anything similar on here, so I think that will be great.

done - as best as I could... :)

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/word-caut...ml#entry3055080

Hi unapanda, I didn't take companion nutrients - they all seemed like a massive faff to me, although I do take fairly large doses of Vit C in buffered form of sodium ascorbate regularly anyway, and my diet is really very balanced and healthy - well, mostly healthy anyway! - so I figured I could prob do without supplementing.

TBH I prefer to get most of my vits and minerals from natural sources, and supplementation with isolated vits just does not sit with me, the only exceptions I make are Vit C, Vit D3 in a gel cap and fish oil, although fish oil does not really count as it is not isolated. That's it, I used to take brewers yeast, but I didn't feel I was benefitting from it so knocked that on the head too. I feel that you need to get your nutrients from natural sources and I think that wholesale supplemetation does many people more harm than good, esp when they don't know why they're doing it or the importance of getting really top quality products without all the binders, bulkers and perservatives that many so called 'health products' contain.

I did do the salt loading protocol occasionally however, when the bromide detox was really rough, and I must say it did work even though it is truely disgusting to drink warm salty water -yuk, just the thought of it makes me gag! My detox sysmptoms were pretty rubbish for a coupld of weeks - felt knocked out tired and headachey for a few weeks, but once I got past that I really did feel much better on the iodine. These days I tend not to go above 4 drops daily which is equivalent to about 12mg. I have done 9 drops recently just to see how I reacted and I did get a low grade headache, which makes me thing that I still have residual bromide in my system, but I will deal with that another day.

People do need to be careful and know what they are doing, be aware of what their body is telling them and alter their supplementation accordingly, but I think that if you are knowledgeable enough about human physiology, supplementation protocols, and listen to signs and symptoms that your body gives you, I am unsure of the need for blood panels and being monitored by a medical practitioner. It just requires a degree of intelligence, lots of research and personal responsibility care. For those who are not confident in their abilities to take their health into their own hands then by all means take advice from someone medically qualified, but for those who are, there are amazing resources out there with people who have supplemented with all sorts of levels of iodine - and yes, some have taken it too far and hurt themselves, but not irriversibly - and they really know what they are talking about. Check out curezone for the experts in the field of iodine supplementation:

http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815

Hi unapanda, I didn't take companion nutrients - they all seemed like a massive faff to me, although I do take fairly large doses of Vit C in buffered form of sodium ascorbate regularly anyway, and my diet is really very balanced and healthy - well, mostly healthy anyway! - so I figured I could prob do without supplementing.

People do need to be careful and know what they are doing, be aware of what their body is telling them and alter their supplementation accordingly, but I think that if you are knowledgeable enough about human physiology, supplementation protocols, and listen to signs and symptoms that your body gives you, I am unsure of the need for blood panels and being monitored by a medical practitioner. It just requires a degree of intelligence, lots of research and personal responsibility care. For those who are not confident in their abilities to take their health into their own hands then by all means take advice from someone medically qualified, but for those who are, there are amazing resources out there with people who have supplemented with all sorts of levels of iodine - and yes, some have taken it too far and hurt themselves, but not irriversibly - and they really know what they are talking about. Check out curezone for the experts in the field of iodine supplementation:

http://curezone.com/forums/f.asp?f=815

Once you got past the detox phase, how do you feel it's helping you?

Well said on supplementation. I think most people are responsible and conscientious about what they put into their bodies and pay attention to what their body needs.

I don't think doctors (or anyone) has all the answers, and it's always good to seek information independently and make your own decisions.

ewww the salt water does sound repulsive, but if I feel like I'm having detox symptoms I'll definitely try it.

Great link, interesting information!

Now I'm curious about researching binders and preservatives in other supplements...

Have you tried making sure you get the other nutrients that aid thyroid function? And keep lifestyle habits that support it and adrenal health as the adrenals affect your thyroid? Maybe you don't need as much iodine as you are taking.

Good Things for Thyroid function: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2592507

I didn't start taking iodine for low thyroid function. I tested as having normal function. Not saying that I'm not low, but if I am then it's marginally.

I was curious about iodine after reading theories on Americans, in general, not getting enough Iodine.

Then I read about levels of halogens like bromine, chlorine and flouride generally being too high and that we get them from various sources. Iodine can help to remove these from the body.

Acne, depression, fatigue, etc. could also be a sign of too much bromide, etc.

This one has a chart that shows increased excretion of bromide and flouride after Iodine is taken:

Bromine and Flouride detox

This link is a bit extreme on some things, but explains what bromide, flouride, etc. does and where it's found a lot better than I ever could.

Iodine and chelation, heavy metals and halogens

The link Rifkah6 posted has a lot of personal experiences with iodine and people who have worked with it for a lot longer than me. I've only been taking it for a couple months, but it has done wonderful things for my body so far.

Edited by unapanda

Do you know anything about iodine trichloride? I've been reading up on iodine supplements and apparently the iodine trichloride found in Atomidine is claimed to be hazardous.